Pros and cons of owning a dog where you live?

All kinds of dog talk here!
Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Pros and cons of owning a dog where you live?

Postby Calypso » Wed May 16, 2007 1:15 pm

I'm tossing around an idea for an article and I need some input. The article would address the myth that the suburbs are the best place to raise a dog and the city the worst. My slant on the article is that it isn't the location, but the devotion of the owners that make a situation good for a dog, and that the city isn't as bad as some people might think it is in a dog's eyes.

So if you don't mind, please tell me:

1. Are you in a rural, suburban, or urban area?

2. Do you live in a detached house, duplex/multiplex, apartment, etc.?

3. What is the best thing about living with a dog in your location? (i.e., what would you miss if you moved?)

4. What is the most difficult or frustrating thing about living where you do?

5. Honestly - how is your dog exercised and how often?

6. Anything else you'd like to add:

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Pros and cons of owning a dog where you live?

Postby Calypso » Wed May 16, 2007 1:19 pm

To get things started, I'll answer, so no one needs to feel badly about any of their answers!

-mix between suburban and rural - 6 acres in a neighborhood

-single family, detached home

3. What is the best thing about living with a dog in your location? (i.e., what would you miss if you moved?)
-We've got a nice big yard for playing fetch and my dogs can be a bit noisy without barking into someone's back window.

- I have no sidewalks, so leash walking can be a challenge. And the attitude of most of the people here is that "hey, I've got a yard for my dog - what more does he need?"

-I'm trying to get better. They've both got agility and flyball once a week and I try to walk or bike them at least twice a week. We aim for fetch as well, if a certain yellow dog would stop running away!

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Wed May 16, 2007 1:28 pm

I guess it's rural. I don't think of it as "sparsely settled" anymore 'cause it was a LOT less settled just 15 years ago. But it's not really suburban 'cause it's not sub to any urban area. ETA: Okay, seriously, this has been bugging me all afternoon. What are we?! I looked up the definition of rural. Apparently, we're a rural town. :grin:

detached house

a nice fenced dog park, lots of hiking areas, decent number of things to do with your dog (agility, freestyle, herding, obedience, dog-friendly areas in town, etc.) and good people to do them with, reasonable amount of off-leash places to take a dog, neighbors who don't mind a bit of barking once in a while during play and who don't take offense to Bella being reactive toward them, a yard of any kind (no way could we do an apartment and maintain our sanity)

ETA: Laura reminded me . . . DH works close enough to home that he can spend an hour with the critters at lunch. I would definitely miss that if we moved further from work.

my house and backyard aren't as big as I would like for doing fun stuff at home and the dogs can't really get a good zoomie going before they hit the other side of the yard, no "alternative" veterinary care (that I've found)

dog park, walks, day care, classes Up until about January of this year, they were exercised every day. Now, daycare once (sometimes twice) a week, class once a week, walks or dog park 2-3 times a week. So, that leaves 2-3 days where they're left to their own devices or "exercised" at home (zoomies in the yard, wrestling with each other, playing fetch down the hallway).

luvarescue
No, I don't have a life!

Postby luvarescue » Wed May 16, 2007 1:35 pm

1. Suburb
2. Detached house
3. Big fenced yard, parks nearby
4. Neighbors with children who tease dogs through fence
5. Walks everyday when weather is nice, less often in bad/cold weather. Zoomies everyday in yard and house for dogs so inclined.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Wed May 16, 2007 1:46 pm

I am in an urban area, even if it is not very dense compared to many others.

I live in a detached house.

Nothing really, except maybe the fact that I have relatively easy access to training classes. I grew up in rural areas and honestly dislike living in a big city

--- 1. Most of my dog's regular exercise is on asphalt/concrete (walks/bike rides).
--- 2. It takes a long time to get out of the city, to areas where it is actually possible to let the dog run off-leash.
--- 3. Many poorly educated dog owners at dog parks, permitting inappropriate behavior.

Walking, bike rides, less frequently roller blading (which I'd like to do more often for my own benefit lol ), visits to the park to run and play fetch. Visits to the beach and hiking. Due to my recent workload I'm currently exercising less frequently than my goal of one vigorous exercise activity per day, but I hope that will pick up again soon.

dogsouth
Quite involved

Postby dogsouth » Wed May 16, 2007 1:50 pm

Suburban

Detached house

Big back yard. Sidewalks. Living close to vet.

No known dog parks.

They are both walked about 4 times a week. I run with Jed at least once a week.

Carson_Crazies
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Carson_Crazies » Wed May 16, 2007 1:51 pm

Urban - I could almost spit on our town's Coliseum, and could walk to work if I wasn't so lazy.

Detached, single-family home.

The fact that I am so close to work I can drive home at lunch to let the puppers out. There are off leash dog parks, lots of lovely on leash parks, and plenty of nice sidewalks to walk on. It's easy to find training facilities for different things, and easy to get to them.

The fact that my yard is tiny, and that my neighbors are so close. Well, that, and the city frowns upon having sheep in one's back yard. They're pretty serious about that one.

Each dog gets exercise in some form every day, whether it be fetch in the back yard, agility, or sheep herding... and in the case of Small Dog running around with me. This week the two working border collies are doing an average of 1-1/2 to 2 hours of sheep chores every day, plus a 1 hour agility class Thurs. night for each two of the BC's. The trick is that most of this type exercise I have to drive for - 30 to 45 mins to get to agility, and anywhere from 45 mins to an hour and a half to get to sheep. Each way. That is how I make it work - I provide the best I can at home, and supplement with going other places.

It takes a lot of time and energy committment to do what we're doing right now, but it is SO worth it!
Laura & the Crazies:
Nick, Linc, Pia, June, and Ginger
RIP Zippy - January 11, 1994 to April 9, 2012

http://www.crooksandcrazies.blogspot.com

Kelly
Regular

Postby Kelly » Wed May 16, 2007 1:56 pm

1. Are you in a rural, suburban, or urban area? Suburban

2. Do you live in a detached house, duplex/multiplex, apartment, etc.? House

3. What is the best thing about living with a dog in your location? (i.e., what would you miss if you moved?) Backyard. Now I can't imagine having dogs without one, although I've done it in the past.

4. What is the most difficult or frustrating thing about living where you do? Being that it is a suburban area, and everyone has a backyard where their dogs spend most of their time, the public areas are not very dog friendly. The dog park is generally deserted and dogs aren't allowed/welcomed anywhere else.

5. Honestly - how is your dog exercised and how often? Fetch and running in the yard and swimming in the backyard pool daily, walks around the neighborhood once or twice a week (this will get better now that my semester is over), the dog park and swimming in the dog park pond weekly.

Kim_N_Chinook
Quite involved

Postby Kim_N_Chinook » Wed May 16, 2007 2:14 pm

I guess a mix of rural and suburban. We live in a village. I have a mix of country, (lakes and farms)and i live in sort of a neighbourhood...less than a minute walk in another direction and I have local shops bakery butcher etc..and then a well traveled main road right above us.
But have the city of Mons 15 minutes away.

Detached house

Being able to bring my dog along when I go shopping, downtown, to cafes and restaurants and how accepted dogs are nearly everywhere you go in Europe.
Pedestrian only streets inside the city
And pet passports ( I love these!)

No sidewalks around my neighbourhood
and when there are sidewalks downtown they are extremely narrow. ( 2 people can not walk side by side so can be challenging walking your dog when passing people or when passing people and also a car is on the road)
Cobblestone streets ( difficult to walk on)
Language barrier..difficult to ask questions about other peoples dogs, or when they are trying to ask me about mine. Some days are better than others :D

Minimal 1 hour, but avg hour and half to 2 hours a day.
Not in one go but divided throughout the day and a mix of walks/training/ frisbee and games
And once a week ( weather permitting) we do a family hike which is 2 to 3 hours in the woods or along the canal

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Wed May 16, 2007 2:39 pm

[font:Verdana]Suburban[/font]

[font:Verdana]Townhouse/Condo[/font]

[font:Verdana]Close to Park[/font]

[font:Verdana]Not having a house and backyard[/font]

[font:Verdana]All three are walked 4 times a day
Fetch with the boys
Obedience class for Carnegie 2x a week[/font]

[font:Verdana]Loving dogs so much, I would continue rescue work and always have a dog wherever I am.[/font]

Paige
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Paige » Wed May 16, 2007 4:19 pm

Suburban

Apartment

Lots of trails to walk on; access to mom n pops who sell *my* brands of food; has relatively easy to access to just about whatever dogtivity you'd like to do.

Not having a great off leash area for the dogs nearby that isn't infested with other dogs.

AT LEAST 3 walks a day, each lasting AT LEAST 20 minutes, but usually 40-60 minutes. (The 20 minuters are usually in the AM when I'm late to work) LT herding when I can, hopefully in the future once a week.

6. Anything else you'd like to add: Having a yard or access convient off-leash fenced area that didn't have a bunch of other dogs would be awesome.
Cash, LT and Soda. And some cats. Cats that are mean.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Wed May 16, 2007 4:34 pm

[quote=Bari]1. Are you in a rural, suburban, or urban area?
Suburban[/quote]

Suburban? lol

TrucksRforGirls
Getting to know you

Postby TrucksRforGirls » Wed May 16, 2007 4:55 pm

I'm tossing around an idea for an article and I need some input. The article would address the myth that the suburbs are the best place to raise a dog and the city the worst. My slant on the article is that it isn't the location, but the devotion of the owners that make a situation good for a dog, and that the city isn't as bad as some people might think it is in a dog's eyes.

So if you don't mind, please tell me:

Hmm... suburban

A one level house that my fiance and I own

There are many state parks and secret paths in my town and the surrounding towns... I would miss those places because I love to walk there.

LYME DISEASE, traffic, road rage, bad dog owner... not all of them but there are a good handful...I could keep going forever...

He is exercised daily. He comes to work with me everyday and is usually out about 4 hours a day in a fenced in area with a few other dogs. We also try to walk like every other day or atleast twice a week at a state park.

Hmmm... I don't think I would want to live anywhere else ;)

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Wed May 16, 2007 5:04 pm

I was confused between (sub)urban lol

catherinec
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby catherinec » Wed May 16, 2007 5:14 pm

Eh, I guess it's suburban, although if I really wanted to I could walk to some stores in about half an hour.

Detached house.

The lake views when we go for walks; the hills (bad for me, good for the dog); backyard for sniffing and playing; there's a wooded trail/canyon nearby, a japanese garden, and other parks for adventures.

The abundance of squirrels (I actually go to more urban, treeless areas b/c I know I won't run into any squirrels); dogs barking behind fences as we walk; not very many people walking their dogs (I've found less to no leash reactivity when there are more dogs walking around); a fair number of dogs off leash roaming around; sometimes the backyard can be a false sense of exercise - it's nice to have, but for a dog that isn't a retriever he doesn't get a lot of exercise in it unless I'm running around in it with him.

Twice a week daycare all day long; on the remaining weekdays between 30 min to 45 min walk (I'm starting to jog, though); on weekends a one hour trail hike or meetup with other dogs for 2 or 3 hours. Once in awhile there is a day or two that there is no formal exercise or playing with dogs.

Although I love my neighborhood and love where I live, sometimes I think suburban areas are the worst for dog ownership. My dream situation would be to have a house in one of the neighborhoods closer to downtown or in downtown, with some piece of property that I can escape too. That way Caesar would become accustomed to all sorts of strange people, noises, etc. on a regular basis from the city but get to frolick around on the acreage.

Colleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Colleen » Wed May 16, 2007 5:21 pm

2. Do you live in a detached house, duplex/multiplex, apartment, etc.? detached house

3. What is the best thing about living with a dog in your location? (i.e., what would you miss if you moved?) I live up the road from a beautiful beach which your rarely see people at. I have 2 other fantastic beaches I can beach comb with my dogs...they can run loose and have all the fun they want as you never see any people/dogs at 2 of the beaches and rarely at the other. I have a few nice hiking trails that my dogs can go free on...many remote areas to walk, a beautiful babbling brook down the road that I can swim in with the dogs (no people)...it's so clear it's breath taking. My neighbors are not that close, and not too many people walk along the main roadway...so, I can let my dogs play in the yard while I'm working away. Plus, I have a huge fenced in compound for my dogs to run/play when not supervised. The privacy is wonderful.

4. What is the most difficult or frustrating thing about living where you do? Sometimes it gets lonely. I don't have any other doggy friends to hike with. I tend to spend a lot of time with just the dogs. Also, country people tend to allow their own dogs to run at large. So, this is upsetting when my dogs get worked up.

5. Honestly - how is your dog exercised and how often? My dogs get at least one good hike a day, or frolick on the beach and hike there. They also get a lot of free time playing in the compound.

6. Anything else you'd like to add: I don't miss living in a suburb at all. I found having a high drive dog it was awful. She was always stressed especially when there were children playing out in the road...and there were always people their dogs/baby carraiges. I had to be sooooo careful with Athena.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Wed May 16, 2007 6:07 pm

[quote=Calypso]

6. Anything else you'd like to add: [/quote]

1. Urban, but a neighborhood that is residential, and 90% single-family homes.

2. Detatched house.

3. The size of my lot (it's about a third of an acre), and the number of city parks (seven within two miles of my house), as well as the fairly quiet streets with little traffic, ideal for walking dogs. My neighborhood is very old and was an independent township dating back to the late 1800's.

4. Frustrating -- the drivers. Even though they're driving on residential streets, they drive like total idiots and I have no confidence that they would not hit me or my dogs. It's gotten much, much worse over the 18 years that I've owned and walked dogs.

5. Exercise -- short walk or park trip in the morning, total of 20-25 minutes. Evening, a longer walk, about 45 minutes. Dogs have access to large fenced yard at all times when I am home. During the day a petsitter comes in, and will occasionally walk them when the weather is nice, but that's not reliable exercise. Also have a 10-obstacle agility course in back yard from May through October.

6. I owned dogs when I lived in an apartment and had no yard. It's easier having a large yard, but my dogs got the same types and number of outings when I didn't have a yard. Mostly the yard is a convenience for pottying, and of course it's very nice to be able to have agility equipment on hand. But even that's a tradeoff: my dogs don't go to agility classes now, which they did for years before I moved in here.

candibrite
Just popping in

Postby candibrite » Wed May 16, 2007 6:40 pm

Well its in South Dakota.. town of about 140 thou.. so I would say suburban type..

apartment

I wouldnt miss anything about the apartment.. but I like that there are lots of places for hiking, bike trails ect.. for the dogs

Well I really dislike not having a yard.. but I can't afford one. I know the dogs would like thier own yard instead of leashes all the time

Marley gets a good walk every day (about 2 miles) a couple times a week he gets to go to the park and play fetch. Paris gets a short walk (1/2 mile) a couple times a week, and goes with Marley when he goes to the park. Paris also come to work with me (doggy daycare) a few times a month. And of course zoomies in the apartment :)

Ola

Postby Ola » Wed May 16, 2007 7:31 pm

->We live in an urban area, in a large city (2.5 million people)

->Apartment in a high-rise building.

->The thing I would miss the most is the built-in doggie socialization. We encounter other dogs (some friendly, some not) on a daily basis, as well as all kinds of people.
->The next thing I would miss is the mandatory exercise I get because I accompany the dogs on most of their walks and bathroom outings (DH does it occasionally)

->Being so close to irresponsible dog owners - not cleaning up after their dog (yucky to step in), allowing dogs offleash even though they have no recall (we frequently stop our walks so owner can attempt to retrieve their dog)

->Each dog gets 3 walks on a typical day: after getting up, after I get home, and before bed. The last walk is just a quick trip out the door and back though (same if the weather is awful). Mostly they are walked separately which means regular one-on-one time. We have longer walks or hikes on weekends.

->I can't wait to get a yard, but then I think the dogs are pretty happy with the way things are now. Nonetheless, I will appreciate not having to put on my boots, coat, hat, and gloves for middle-of-the-night potty break in the winter. ;)

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Wed May 16, 2007 7:43 pm

both sort of.....I live in the county, on an acre and a third, but only 2 miles from the city.

detached

a yard to walk him in

nothing at all, I love my home and area

Bandit is 17, he gets walked on a lead, when he was young, we walked the neighborhood or went to the park.

MoonStr80
Hopelessly addicted

Postby MoonStr80 » Wed May 16, 2007 7:59 pm

- urban

- duplex

- I would not miss any of it. Best thing about living with a dog, you're being entertain by your own dogs, you feel secure having a dog, they can use your ears for you. Even tho I'm deaf I don't hear everything & different sounds might frighten me then most people b/c I'm not as familiar to the noises

- Cozy neighorhood constantly around people, I go certain time where theirs no one on the block lol so I can have a peaceful walk

- Having a nice fence in yard & do garden work etc

- Noisey Cars going by on the streets or/and going 30 over the speed limits on the street

- Neighborhood kids, I'm constantly worrying about teenagers wandering around the streets even at night, if they're out in the streets they must be up to something & it makes me crazy

- Neighborhood dog's constant barking even at night if I have my hearing aids on I can hear very easliy

- New neighbors you're not sure if they will like you, or want to hurt your dog?

- Kids stealing dogs out of their yard

- sometimes the side walks are crappy & not as nice as in suburban areas

- the noisy train

- bad/cruel dog owners

(this may go on forever)

- Misty gets enough exercise I have to limit her exercise & her stress level that's what the vet said due to her illness, sometimes I'll just walk her to the corner & back. Or even playing fetch in the house is enought exercise for her. Everyday she probably gets about 10 minute of exercise

Having a pet is 100% commitment for 13+ years. They're not like shoes when you get tired of them you threw them out of your life!

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Wed May 16, 2007 8:01 pm

1)rural
2)detached house
3)large yard and easy access to great off leash areas. Also easy walking distance to parks. I would really really miss all of this.
4)I love the area. I think the most frustrating thing is the hot weather in the summer.
5)I have a fenced acre with squirrels so the dogs exercise themselves. I do try to get each dog out at least 4 times a week, but it doesn't always happen. The boys and Leela take classes at least once a week and I'm still doing play dates for Leela.

cjs
No, I don't have a life!

Postby cjs » Wed May 16, 2007 8:15 pm

Suburban

2. Do you live in a detached house, duplex/multiplex, apartment, etc

detached house

The trails...hiking ....the farms surrounding our neighborhood.

No parks where you are allowed to take dogs off leash.
Not enough close by areas to go soc the dogs with odd groups of humans and such.

Daily. Walks...agility training..flyball practice a couple days a week home/with team....playing zoomies and chase with each other...fetch...frisbee..
obedience exercises the mind...

I wish I had sheep????

Answer number two...( we moved recently within the past year so I will do two places)

Urban

Townhouse

Parks where dogs are allowed off leash...great places close by to walk and socialize dogs to all sorts of things...

No yard

Daily...walks...long...agility training weekly competetive class...practice at home...in the house with jumps...beginnning flyball practice weekly and some at home. turns.....fetch almost daily in our downstairs area LOL

Obedience training in garage and house..for the mind

It is not hard to work a dog in these cases...you just need to be dedicated and creative...it is what you make of the situation or are willing to do.

CharlieGordon
Regular

Postby CharlieGordon » Wed May 16, 2007 10:34 pm

1)Urban area.

2)Townhouse

3)Emergency vet, holistic vet, therapy program, doggy daycare, training facility, stores that allow dogs in, pet food and supply stores - both small, specialty and bigger chains, restaurants that allow dogs on the patio/outside areas, self-serve dog wash boutiques.

4)Tiny backyard, heavy traffic, both auto and pedestrian.

5)Walks 2/day one for 15 min. the second for 45 min. Visits to a large, fenced playyard that a boarding kennel lets me borrow 1-2 time a week . Doggy daycare visit 1-2 times a week, for three to four hours.

Amy

biscuit
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby biscuit » Thu May 17, 2007 12:19 pm

2. Do you live in a detached house, duplex/multiplex, apartment, etc.? Detached single family home

3. What is the best thing about living with a dog in your location? (i.e., what would you miss if you moved?) Nice sized fenced yard

4. What is the most difficult or frustrating thing about living where you do? We live in the deep South, so Bugs and high heat and humidity.

5. Honestly - how is your dog exercised and how often? Someone is always here with her except for a dinner or movie or short time between coming and going. She is in and out of the house all day/night. She runs with a GSD next door like racing, zoomies, whatever on and off all day. She runs after squirrels. We walk in the evenings as a family. We play chase and games in the house. We take her on outings where we walk, explore parks, etc. We plan to get into rally and maybe agility now that she is over 18 months old. Obedience and trick training.

6. Anything else you'd like to add: At the AKC dog show here last year a breeder told me her friend has two Irish Wolfhounds and lives in an apartment in the city. She explained they go to a doggie day care during the week where they play and run loose under supervision. Weeknights the friend runs with them. On the weekends the friend is out with them all the time. I think much of a dog's exercise comes from a conscientous owner no matter where they live.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Thu May 17, 2007 1:02 pm

Urban.

Detached house with yard that I own; BF has his own detached house with a yard that she goes to sometimes (if MP promises not to "squish" his prized plants).

The lakes! I'm a couple of blocks away from a big ol' lovely park and garden, and one of the lakes in the city. It's not off-leash or anything, but I love having grassy places to let MP sniff around, and for me to enjoy all the beautiful flowers in the garden. It's something I would miss if I moved elsewhere within the city, too.

I also loooove having access to a few natural foods co-ops, where we get all our food. There's lots of options for CSA as well, which is also nice. There are more holistic options for vets and services in the city (compared to the suburbs in the area), as well as more specialized classes for things that MP needs, like on-leash reactivity. The e-vets are not that far away, either, which is also good. When sh*t hits the fan in a big way, like some complicated surgery, the University supposedly has great facilities and specialists.

Although MP doesn't utilize the overall relatively dog-friendly aspects of local businesses (coffee shops, etc.), I see dogs everywhere, so that must be good for dogs who can do things like that! :p

As much as I'd like some acreage for MP to run on, My yard is fine for some zoomies and fetch; there are off-leash parks (although I'm scared of them) that she can go to, too.

This isn't really dog-related, and is very specific to the very house I'm living in, but my neighbors are the best neighbors in the world (and I'm one of the suckiest! :p ). I wouldn't move just because of my neighbors.

Cold. Neither of us (MP & Me) are "equipped" or born to survive the long, depressing winter season. We always threaten to move away in the winter. However, the cold kills off (or whatever) the bad buggers for at least part of the season, so that's the glass-half-full view. The mosquitos aren't any fun in the summer time, either, but I've been able to manage OK.

Hmm. This depends. We manage to work in 1hr+ walks during which we sort of "train" (instead of just walking around) about 5 times a week. Daily zoomies in yard and inside (you should see my floors). BF takes MP to the dog park occasionally, and when we go out to his parents' house in the burbs with lots of land, he takes her trailing around the woods. We also do shorter walks here and there. We train every day, during the day--tricks and stuff like that. We should and want to do more activities, but I really do try my best with what time I have! :crazy:

I'm from Tokyo so Minneapolis feels like a teeny city because of my upbringing and general preference and needs, I can't live in a rural setting. Overall, I think this place is pretty good for having a dog--and not silly-expensive to buy a house with a decent yard. :)

Tdogs
Just popping in

Postby Tdogs » Thu May 17, 2007 3:47 pm

suburban

2. Do you live in a detached house, duplex/multiplex, apartment, etc.? detached house

doggie door, fully fenced big yard, dog park, lots of trails to hike, pretty dog friendly city,

4. What is the most difficult or frustrating thing about living where you do? proximity to neighbors (complaints about dog barking); and along with that the whole yard is fenced, there is no gate between front and back yard so the dogs bark a lot at passers-by; rental home so pets must be "approved" by landlord

they usually get 30 min or so play time (throwing the ball) once a day, 2-3 hikes a week (1-3 hours long, off-leash for the most part), occasional shorter leashes neighborhood walks, and doggie door access most of the day

I moved from a very urban area (downtown Denver), where I had 3 dogs and 1 cat in a 1 bedroom loft. I was actually much more conscientious about daily walks and plenty of long hikes while we were there (and better about cleaning the litter box!). I've gotten lazy having a yard and a doggie door.

Aubergine
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Aubergine » Thu May 17, 2007 3:57 pm

1. Are you in a rural, suburban, or urban area? Urban

2. Do you live in a detached house, duplex/multiplex, apartment, etc.? Apartment

3. What is the best thing about living with a dog in your location? (i.e., what would you miss if you moved?) Proximity of dog-friendly park with very cool owners. Generally liberal attitude towards off-leash dogs in my area.

4. What is the most difficult or frustrating thing about living where you do? Do you mean the urban area or my particular dwelling? If the former, then I would say traffic; latter: lack of fenced yard.

5. Honestly - how is your dog exercised and how often? She gets about 2 hours a day of running/playing in the park. She also attends daycare a few times a week.

6. Anything else you'd like to add: I agree that the devotion of the owner is the biggest factor in a dog's happiness and health, no matter where you live. I think there is a myth that "dogs shouldn't live in apartments" when in fact my dog is very happy living in a smaller place because she receives lots of exercise and attention.

spiritdogs

Postby spiritdogs » Thu May 17, 2007 4:39 pm

1. Are you in a rural, suburban, or urban area? Semi-rural suburban (best of both worlds LOL)

Detached house

3. What is the best thing about living with a dog in your location? (i.e., what would you miss if you moved?) It's a very dog-friendly neighborhood, and people generally keep their dogs contained or on leash, pick up the poops, and take them to training class.

The deer ticks - it's a high Lyme disease area

5. Honestly - how is your dog exercised and how often? All my dogs are exercised daily a.m. and p.m. They also go to play groups on the weekend and do dog sports. If I had to guess, maybe 2-3 hours per day (BF and I take turns)

6. Anything else you'd like to add: We are fortunate to have off season beach use, dog parks, dog day cares, & training facilities here. Still, I wish there was a herding trainer nearby, and I'd like a bit more rural atmosphere.

ruffysdad
Hopelessly addicted

Postby ruffysdad » Fri May 18, 2007 7:36 am

1: Suburban

2: Detached house

3: Lots of parks within walking distance and one with salt water. None are off leash parks but nobody complains when I let my two run free.

4: All of the cities (including mine) are on a BSL crusade.

5: Twice a day walks with workouts on the playground equipment and herding at least every other week.

6: A lot of people in the neighborhood own dogs and are pretty good owners. There are really no irresponsible idiots around me.

Hope this helps, Ruffysdad

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”