Favorite collar?

All kinds of dog talk here!
EllaBella
No, I don't have a life!

Favorite collar?

Postby EllaBella » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:22 pm

So Ella currently wears a regular nylon collar (with flowered ribbon sewn on for cuteness) with her tags. When I walk her, I add a martingale to attach the leash to--her head is a bit on the small side, so she needs it for security. The only thing is, the hair on her neck is falling/rubbing out, especially on the throat side. The hair the rest of the way around is crimped, bent, and broken. I need to get her a new leash/collar/martingale set anyways (the martingale rusted from salt at the beach, and she dragged her leash through poison oak at a stream in CA--so I left it at the campground).

I'm considering getting the spiffy dog collar , and the padded martingale/leash combo (in red hawaiian ES, and red, respectively--ella must match ). Anyone have experience with either of these, good or bad?

Any other ideas for gentle on the fur collars? (preferably that come in fun and coordinated colors and patterns )

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Favorite collar?

Postby Kathleen » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:47 pm

I haven't tried the ones you mentioned. I like the thinner collars for the boys. I usually use a rolled martingale with a chain center, but I haven't been able to find them on line and usually buy them at shows when I find them. So that isn't much help.

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:56 pm

I'm pretty sure yintzy got that air collar for Whispy. She should be able to tell you how good it is for hair loss. The other one you posted was quite popular with the daycare dogs that had sensitive necks. You'll probably like it.

Trademarkbark
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Trademarkbark » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:08 pm

I bought Spiffy Dog Collars in the hopes that they wouldn't "dent" the hair, but alas it did. Now, I think my dogs have more hair on their necks than yours, so maybe it won't be an issue.
UFGRCH USCH GRCH "Spud" TT FDC CA CGC TKN
UFGRCH USCH GRCH "OE" TT CA TKN FDC BCAT CGC
USCH UFCH GCHx2 "Grytz" TT CGCU TKN FDC
CH "Doozy" FDC CGC TKN
"Spock"

Ash
Just popping in

Postby Ash » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:44 pm

Jakes prong collar seriously that thing has made him a joy to walk instead of a terror.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:23 pm

I use braided nylon martingales for Quigley. He has a big ruff and they don't damage it.

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:42 am

Lilian do you have the link for those collars? I lost mine when my computer crashed. As I recall they are limited slips though right?

yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby yintzy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:50 am

Sorry, I didn't see this. Yes, I have Spiffy Dog collars for the girls. They appear to be pretty good. It doesn't seem to be damaging Whispy's ruff. However, I've given up keeping a collar on her full-time, except at the lake and when we had the housesitter. I have problems with tangles and dreadlocks on the ears and I haven't found a collar to prevent that - even the finest rolled leather.

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”