So I’m liking the little dog, who knew?

All kinds of dog talk here!
Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

So I’m liking the little dog, who knew?

Postby Kathleen » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:40 am

I decided last November that I would like to have a third dog. Angel had been gone about a year and I felt it was time. I decided I wanted a small dog this time. For a few reasons, space in the car and also I had never owned a toy breed and certainly have plenty of clients and thought I should have the experience of raising one.
I was half looking, not really seriously when Elvis, my Italian Greyhound became available.
The first surprise was how much my husband liked him. I was so surprised. He likes the dogs okay but he was just crazy about Elvis from day one. Second was how athletic he is. I was expecting a shrinking violet and that is not him. He is really up for whatever I throw at him. Including swimming in the pond on vacation.
I may just be a convert now. So I guess the moral of this post is never say never.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Re: So I’m liking the little dog, who knew?

Postby emmas_mom » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:03 am

So glad that is working out for both you and your husband. And I can identify with the surprise element - I've always been a big dog person - shepherds, collie-crosses, labs - even though I adopted several smaller shelties. I definitely had no attraction towards the little frou-frou dogs though, like toy poodles etc. But when 8 pound Mitzi, a bichon, came into my life via a cousin who died, I never expected the delight she brought to my life. She converted me almost instantly. Although she passed away a year ago and I now have another sheltie, I know another tiny dog will be in my life sometime in the future. I can't pass one on the street without smiling broadly at their prance and sauciness and expressiveness.
Welcome to ODO, Elvis. (We may have to do a thread to re-introduce ourselves and our current dogs!).
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:29 pm

Well, I would not have guessed! Sheena (RDM) has a mad passion for IGs, and since I will always and forever think of her as a "Border Collie person" I just don't get it. IG is probably the last breed I would acquire, but maybe it's moved up a bit on the list now!

I am still saying NEVER to Pomeranians, the Pom/Sheltie cross that is Cantankerous Charlie has cemented my notion that Poms are not at all what I want in a dog. ROFL! Breed prejudice, I haz it!

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:47 pm

That’s great! I love little Jovie. She’s 15 lbs and very much a small dog in my book. She’s even allowed on the couch which has never been allowed before. And my husband is ok with it! Small dogs are fun and even better that Elvis just keeps right up with the big guys.

Trademarkbark
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Trademarkbark » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:46 am

I was surprised how much I enjoyed smaller dogs until I found the *right* small breed. 😊
CA UFGRCH USCH GRCH "Spud" TT FDC CA CGC TKN
CAX UFGRCH USCH GRCH "OE" TT CA TKN FDC BCAT CGC
USCH UFCH GRCH GCH "Grytz" TT CGCU TKN FDC
CH "Doozy" FDC CGC TKN

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:33 am

I am not surprised. :lol: :smile:

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:27 pm

There's a local gal who has some smokin' agility IGs. No surprise here.

(dibs on connie's share of Poms, I adore the sassy littlle fluffballs.)

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:42 am

I really like Poms too. They are always a kick to have in class.

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:06 pm

I have a Papillon in my obedience one class right now and she’s a riot. I could see myself with one of those someday.

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:37 am

really like Poms too. They are always a kick to have in class.
I remember a Pom puppy from one of your puppy classes, and whenever I think about how I’d like a smaller dog next time, I think of him. I also remember you saying you always liked Pom puppies

If it weren’t for the coat, I think a Pom would be high on the list.

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”