Please explain conformation placing to me!

All kinds of dog talk here!
Amanda
Permanent Resident

Please explain conformation placing to me!

Postby Amanda » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:38 am

AKC shows are so confusing to me. I watched the judging for the Wirehaired Vizslas at Westminster the other day. I had a friend showing and I like to learn what to look for in judging conformation.

Dante took Best of Breed
Fanni took Best of Opposite
Annie and Falko took select
And there was one merit bitch

Dante went on to compete in groups but didn’t place

So my understanding is that of the four above, Dante took first. Fanni took second and Annie and Falko are like tied for third? But when judging the dogs, since a dog took first, a bitch had to take second even if the second best was a dog, the bitch would place over him.

Do I have this right?

And then, if there were lots of classes of Wirehaired Vizslas (like owner handled, puppy, etc) then the winners of each class would compete for winners dog? They don’t have enough of this breed to do that though I don’t think. There was only one class as far as I know. So then if there were multiple classes, it’s the dog or bitch that wins winners dog that goes on to the group, am I right?

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Please explain conformation placing to me!

Postby connie » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:07 am

I only know that you're correct about Best of Breed and Best of Opposite. Because the conformation ring is to evaluate breeding stock, the objective is to establish the best examples of dog and bitch in a particular breed, so if the BOB is a dog, the BOO has to be a bitch and vice versa. This kind of explains it:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 023AAzfWI0

As for the points system, my eyes glazed over just reading this:
http://www.akc.org/events/conformation- ... ng-points/

Trademarkbark
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Trademarkbark » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:53 am

Dante (a male) was best of breed, so best of Opposite sex (BOS) would be a female. Select is awarded to up to two males and two females, Champion or Grand Champion level, while in the Best of Breed ring, and is an additional acknowledgment of quality. The Award of Merit is only seen in specialty shows (only one breed competing) and is after Select as a “nod” from the judge.

Placement wise, think of it more like a beauty pageant. Best of Breed is like being crowned top of your breed at that show. Best of Opposite isn’t really second place, just the best in the ring at that moment that is the opposite sex of the winner.

First, second, etc would be awarded in the classes, where the not yet Champions compete.
CA UFGRCH USCH GRCH "Spud" TT FDC CA CGC TKN
CAX UFGRCH USCH GRCH "OE" TT CA TKN FDC BCAT CGC
USCH UFCH GRCH HnrCH-B GCH "Grytz" TT CGCU TKN FDC
"Doozy" FDC CGC TKN

Trademarkbark
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Trademarkbark » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:01 am

And then, if there were lots of classes of Wirehaired Vizslas (like owner handled, puppy, etc) then the winners of each class would compete for winners dog? They don’t have enough of this breed to do that though I don’t think. There was only one class as far as I know. So then if there were multiple classes, it’s the dog or bitch that wins winners dog that goes on to the group, am I right?
All class levels (puppy, bred by exhibitor, open, etc) will compete, then the winner of each class, will go back in to compete for Winners Dog or Bitch. Then Winners Dog and Winners Bitch go into the Best of Breed competition ring with all of the champions and grand champions to compete for Best of Breed. Best of Breed winner is the one who goes onto group competition.
CA UFGRCH USCH GRCH "Spud" TT FDC CA CGC TKN
CAX UFGRCH USCH GRCH "OE" TT CA TKN FDC BCAT CGC
USCH UFCH GRCH HnrCH-B GCH "Grytz" TT CGCU TKN FDC
"Doozy" FDC CGC TKN

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:28 pm

Amanda,

Remember the park you met me and Sabine at a thoulsandc years ago?

Yawn, a trainer for WLAOTC has a class for that. The bad news is it's a schlep from your house, it's on Monday nights at 8-9pm.

The good news, we could get together.

Wlaotc.com

I'm sure there are other places like that, just sayin`

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:30 pm

That's supposed to be a thousand. I'm typing left hand because my right side is a wreck.

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:05 pm

An Award of Merit *nod* can also be given to both bitches in a class if, for example, the judge feels neither of them are worthy of anything more than that. That judge may even tell the very experienced Boxer handler that her bitch is fat.

LMAO. This may or may not have happened to the handler from BoxerLand. It was hilarious. The bitch really wasn't fat but she's not at all show quality. The other bitch in the class wasn't any better.
Judge and handler have known each other/been doing this together more than 20 years so no hard feelings.

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:05 pm

Oh wow. That’s funny, Lynn.

Oy, that’s a loooonnngggg shlep for sure. Would be fun to catch up though. I will join Sabine at something terrierish at some point up that way, so I am sure we can connect again. :)

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”