When you're heart tells you it's time, the right dog just falls into your lap

All kinds of dog talk here!
Riddick

When you're heart tells you it's time, the right dog just falls into your lap

Postby Riddick » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:03 am

Heartbreaking does not even begin to describe losing 3 babies in 13 months. Apollo we lost in March of 2016, Orion was next in August of 2016, and finally Jasper left us March of 2017. We were shattered and absolutely inconsolible. Our house was empty and our children were gone.

Apollo was Mom's dog. About 4 months ago she started browsing petfinder and other local rescue sites. Every puppy we found and expressed some interest in we just didn't "click" with. We never got that "you're the one" feeling. So we passed on about 8 or 9 puppies. We kept casually looking, never really feeling the need or want to fill out adoption applications for anything we saw.

Well that all changed 2 weeks ago! At 3 o'clock in the morning my mom came hurling into my room, flipped on my lights and was yelling "Lys! Lys! I found him! He's the one!" She shoved her iPad in front of my still mostly asleep face. I managed to focus my eyes and my heart just melted right on the spot. Staring back at me was "the one". His eyes beaming with intelligence and love just bore down into my soul. I stared at his picture for a good long while and then it finally hit me. I was staring at the spitting image of Apollo as a baby. So at 3am I filled out the adoption application for this puppy. First thing in the (normal human) morning we got a email saying we were approved and needed to do a phone interview. We completely the phone interview later that day (and passed) and the next day we went to go meet the puppy. As we entered the foster home, this puppy came lopping up to us and just plopped down in the middle of us and gave a big huge "yep, this is my family" sigh. We stayed at the foster house for hours and I did as many behavioral tests I could think of. He passed them all with flying colors. We played, we went for a walk, we did a mock veterinary exam, we clipped his nails and cleaned his ears. He passed everything in my book. The true test was my mom. He walked right up to her, curled up in her lap and fell asleep. My mom said right then and there, "he's ours, he's coming home".

So, I'd like to introduce our newest child. 13 week old Australian Cattle Dog/Lab mix, Argus! Argie or Arg for short, and he is the epitome of perfection. I truly believe Apollo sent him to us. His face and features look just enough like Apollo that we tear up sometimes when we look at him, but it's happy tears. He is scary smart and catching on extremely quickly to training and boundaries. It feels so good to have a baby in the house again, it's been way too long. But we all kept saying that when the time was right the right dog would find us, and he did.
Attachments
IMG_3506.JPG
IMG_3506.JPG (142.27 KiB) Viewed 767 times
IMG_3505.JPG
IMG_3505.JPG (152.86 KiB) Viewed 767 times
IMG_3504.JPG
IMG_3504.JPG (119.67 KiB) Viewed 767 times
IMG_3503.JPG
IMG_3503.JPG (155.78 KiB) Viewed 767 times
IMG_3502.JPG
IMG_3502.JPG (198.08 KiB) Viewed 767 times
~Lyssa~
Apollo, Orion & Remus...and the kitties, Flower and Jasper!!

Riddick

Re: When you're heart tells you it's time, the right dog just falls into your lap

Postby Riddick » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:07 am

Baby Apollo, their facial expressions are almost identical.
Attachments
IMG_3510.JPG
IMG_3510.JPG (139.87 KiB) Viewed 766 times
IMG_3509.JPG
IMG_3509.JPG (111.82 KiB) Viewed 766 times
IMG_3508.JPG
IMG_3508.JPG (111.61 KiB) Viewed 766 times
IMG_3507.JPG
IMG_3507.JPG (139.27 KiB) Viewed 766 times
~Lyssa~
Apollo, Orion & Remus...and the kitties, Flower and Jasper!!

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: When you're heart tells you it's time, the right dog just falls into your lap

Postby connie » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:30 am

That is one ADORABLE puppy! Congrats and best wishes for many happy years together!

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:37 am

OMG, he's so stinkin' cute! Congratulations!!!

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”