New dog, new problems, potty training

All kinds of dog talk here!
BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

New dog, new problems, potty training

Postby BarksaLot » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:47 pm

I've been too busy lately to post all that's been going on here. We finally let Smokey go a little over a month ago, he'd gotten to the point he couldn't hardly walk, had to be carried in and out, couldn't relieve himself without help, so we decided to let him go.

We thought at that time Lady would be an only dog, that lasted about 2 weeks. I saw channel 7's ad for a dog out at Agoura's Animal shelter, mid size dog that I thought would be a good match for Lady - but the two didn't hit it off, he wanted to attack her, so the shelter nixed that one. Then they suggested a poodle they had, a male 9 lb white poodle, this time the intro was good so we took the little guy.

Teady Bear they said was 10 yrs old, I guess because he had tarter on his teeth, so Health Care for homeless animals picked up his health costs, cleaned his teeth, ran a full senior blood panel, only thing they missed or didn't treat was an ear infection which our vet found, yeast she said, so was treated with ointment for 10 days. HHA saved us a good vet bill by picking up his tab. He's a hyper guy, vet said no way was he 10, maybe 5-7 years old. He and Lady get along really good, play and rough house, he gives as good as he gets. Shortly after we got him during one play session Lady let out this hound dog howl of pain, don't know what or where he nipped, but I figured she got a lesson not to do what she'd done to him again.

Teddy was a stray, picked up in Downey, CA we figure around the 4th of July, he was an intact male and was just neutered not to long before we got him, still had a bit of a scab from his surgery. Also not housetrained, the vet said to give him time in housebreaking due to that. I was doing keeping him on leash, trying crate training taking him out often for about the next 10 days, then I go into the hospital for major surgery, then Bill started letting him loose in the house.

Now we find or catch him peeing in the house 2 or 3 times a day, usually it's finding or stepping in a puddle. I'm thinking we need to start over with the potty training. I've read poodles can be stubborn. Only thing I worry about is if he has a UTI but the vet looked at his blood work and said he was in good shape. He can't go very long in the crate and will pee in it if left too long. He's a sweet little guy, cuddles. If only if we could get a handle on the accidents life would be easier.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: New dog, new problems, potty training

Postby SherriA » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:00 am

Yep, I'd start over with potty training 101 for him. He sounds like a sweet guy. FWIW, we never had trouble housetraining the poodles we had growing up.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: New dog, new problems, potty training

Postby connie » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:30 am

Belly band.

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”