The proverbial straw has arrived

All kinds of dog talk here!
connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: The proverbial straw has arrived

Postby connie » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:31 am

Pretty sure this is going to be harder on you than on him. I'm sorry, Amanda. Doing the right thing ought to be easy, but it's not, so often ...

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:12 am

Awww, looks like a perfect place for him. And he's got a doggie friend too!

I'm sad for you that you had to go through all this, but hopefully this will be the perfect solution to a better life for him and you.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:06 pm

I hope so very much that he settles in quickly and well. I can only imagine how gutted you feel, but it is good that YOU got to choose his next home, because you know him as no one else does. I do hope his new mama is well informed on keeping dogs safe in new surroundings - particularly with moving him twice in two weeks - so he doesn't decide to try to find his own way home in an unguarded moment. Not to give you another thing to stress over, but I've done too many searches for newly rehomed dogs and/or dogs on vacation out of their familiar area. If this wasn't one of the things you discussed with her, and if you want an article I wrote on the subject, I'm happy to send you a copy of it that you could forward to her.
Thinking of you and of Zeke, and feeling positive about his new placement. Having rescued many dogs, I'm always amazed how they settle in. Sadie took the longest, at three months or more before she stopped 'looking' for her people, and Maggie is taking quite a while too, but most settled within a week or so. And once Sadie accepted that I was her new mama, she just moved right on with her life and never looked back.
Mom to Maggie, Emma and Allie, and occasional foster mom. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie and Mitzi.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:25 am

She already took out an insurance policy on him. I don't think he'll be coming back here. He loosened up even more this morning. Playing with his favorite toys. She sent me a video. His tail was wagging which is great to see. She said again how happy she is with him. It's a good place for him.

I came home from work and my family was out. I spent some time brushing Landis and then I just had to get out of the house. I went shopping of all things. I hate shopping. But it's so hard to be here without him. He's not there to greet me at the bottom of the stairs. He's not there practically knocking me over in greeting. Landis is a good dog, but he is not affectionate at all anymore. For the last four to five years he has become very aloof. So we are all working on a new normal.

I have surgery on my shoulder at the end of this month. Then I face a 4-5 (some even say 6) month recovery. Torn labrum and small tear in my rotator cuff. So by Spring I should be able to turn over a new leaf. And hopefully have a happier 2018. We'll see what that holds, I guess.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:16 am

:sad:
I'm really sorry. I'm glad you have dogs at work, I guess?

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:20 am

Honestly, the dogs at work are definitely saving me. I get a lot of joy working with them and it's almost like being an aunt. I do fun stuff and teach them things and then send them home to misbehave with their parents. Lol

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:08 pm

Aw. It's hard. It sounds like it will be a really good situation for him though.

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”