Question re rescues and crate training?

All kinds of dog talk here!
emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Question re rescues and crate training?

Postby emmas_mom » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:07 am

Question for those who work with rescues and shelters, especially in California. A family member of mine, an awesome dog mom, was turned down by a rescue because she said she would be crate training the dog for such things as car travel and staying in hotels with her and her spouse - this would be infrequently and for very short periods of time. Apparently, the rescue thought crate training was evil and therefore considered them 'unfit dog parents'.

In my own extensive history with rescues and shelters up here (Canada), a willingness to crate train is considered a GOOD thing by any ethical, responsible rescue. In fact, as most rescues use foster homes, the dogs are often already crate trained when adopted, or well on their way to becoming comfortable in their crates.

I'm curious to know if the reaction they got is an anomaly or if most rescues and shelters in California oppose crates? I'd also love some recommendations of shelters or rescues around LA (they live and work in Orange County) that are ethical and pro-crate training. This would be a great home for a dog - their own guy just recently died, and they are both avid hikers, they own their own business and might even be taking the dog to work (fitness centre), one of them is often at home during the day, and they have taken exceptional care of their previous animals.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Question re rescues and crate training?

Postby SherriA » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:51 am

I'm on the side of the country so I have no recommendations but the rescues I work with encourage create training

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:01 am

Well, I'm not in or near CA, but I think that's a bizarre -- okay, stupid -- reason to turn down a good Potential Adopter (PA). The BC rescue I work with asks, on their application, what the PA thinks of crates and crate-training; and depending on the answer, that may be something that we discuss with them when we interview them. Probably our favorite answer is 'I like crates for training puppies and I find that some dogs use their crates even after puppyhood, but mostly my dogs have/had the run of the house once they matured.' (It's a Border Collie rescue, after all. How's the dog going to answer the phone, do the laundry, and get under the covers of your bed if it's in a crate all day?!)

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:53 am

It's very untypical for anyone rehoming dogs to be anti crate, but then we have an overabundance of nutjob people running rescues here in So Cal, thanks to the population density and number of homeless dogs.

If your family member is in OC, they should be looking down there, since depending on where exactly they are, it can be an hour's drive or more between one and the other. Orange County, L.A. County

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:50 pm

That's weird. Crate training is just as in vogue in the USA at least among R+ dog trainers.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:59 am

Good to know it was just one nutjob and not a cultural difference in approaches to dog care. Connie, I agree with you re the selective use of crates, not using them to stow the dog away all the time - the dog will be very much a part of their family life and the crate is only for safety and security when necessary.
Sabine, they have been looking at shelters and rescues in Orange County, but a trip of two or three hours for the right dog is well within their expectations. In fact, they are going to meet a couple of dogs in a shelter in LA this morning - or hope to (they've been warned it can take hours between arriving at the shelter and getting to meet the dog and they do have to get back for clients later in the day).
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:35 pm

Shelters aren't as picky as rescues........meet my new granddog, Atlas, adopted by my daughter and son-in-law today! :love: Three year old Australian cattledog from a shelter.
Atlas 1.jpg
Atlas 1.jpg (38.01 KiB) Viewed 3162 times

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:11 pm

Super cute! Congrats, Grandma!

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:56 pm

Look at that face!! Congrats, gramma!!!

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:29 pm

Hooray for Atlas!

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:11 pm

Congrats to all. Atlas, you are one lucky dog. :)

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”