No more dogs on my bed, ever!

All kinds of dog talk here!
connie
Built-in Forum Feature

No more dogs on my bed, ever!

Postby connie » Wed May 04, 2016 5:51 am

The thing is, I never HAD dogs on the bed when I had only Shelties. None of them could get up there, and they were all very happy with their own comfy beds in my room. Then I got the bigger dogs, and it became SOP for Rowley and Alex and sometimes Dee to hang out on my bed during the day -- they didn't sleep on my bed at night, but they used it as a playground and nap spot at other times.

I didn't really like that, but I felt guilty when I thought that. I didn't like the muddy paws, the dirt and sand that would work into my sheets, and eventually I threw an old sheet over the bed, which was ugly and a waste of my quilts or comforter covers. But the dogs were happy, and that's what matters, right?

EXCEPT that when the boys do their wrassling games on the bed, Alex sometimes has the last word by peeing/marking. Yes, ON MY BED. I thought that was over when he was neutered last spring, but over the past weekend, I bought a gorgeous new duvet cover, all pinks and greens and spring-looking, and when I climbed into bed on Sunday night, looking forward to snuggling into my new linens, THAT SMELL was right under my nose. I had to start laundry at 10.30 p.m. and wash: the comforter cover; the comforter itself; and the sheets. I was so angry that I have not gotten over it and I probably never will, and right then a new policy of NO DOGS ON THE BED, EVER, started.

I'm just saying: I love this policy. I love having my bed just for me. I love getting into bed at night and being in clean, pleasant-smelling sheets and not having dirt or mud on my gorgeous new comforter. I don't miss dogs on my bed; I have plenty of physical contact with them, and they have very comfortable beds in my bedroom and elsewhere in the house. During the day, Alex and Rowley act a bit displaced and eye the bed (which has two baby gates on it, question about that in a minute) but I harden my heart: if I let them up there for even a minute, I will be doing laundry to get dog piss out of my bedding again, and that will drive me out of my mind. This house is ALL ABOUT THE DOGS, I want that one spot for myself only. Good grief.

Now my question: tossing a couple of baby gates on my bed to keep the dogs off is not the most convenient thing in the world. Any suggestions for what I can put on the bed that will deter the Boyz? Someone suggested a sheet of oilcloth, but that would cover up my comforter. I think a lightweight PVC frame of some kind. Any suggestions?

NDOTB, I love it. And I love my dogs, too! :thumbup:

Riddick

Re: No more dogs on my bed, ever!

Postby Riddick » Wed May 04, 2016 4:55 pm

I'm right there with you. My dogs have beds and are allowed to sleep on the couch. I hate it when my comforter and sheets are covered in dog hair. I want my bed nice and clean and fresh when I get in it. The only time Remus sleeps on the bed with me is when I'm sick.

My bed is a dog free zone, and I've even been shooing the cat off when I see her on it.

I use a carpet runner/rolly chair mat thing with the spikes on the nice couch to keep animals off. Maybe try that?
~Lyssa~
Apollo, Orion & Remus...and the kitties, Flower and Jasper!!

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Wed May 04, 2016 8:02 pm

My dogs aren't even allowed upstairs anymore. They have their own comfy office with beds and they have each other. I love them but my bed is mine and my sleep is precious. I can't sleep deeply anymore so any twitch or snort would wake me. Maybe just baby gate the room whenever you aren't in it? Then you don't have to cover the bed with anything. My dad has a tattle tale alarm sensor on the guest bed at his house. It makes a high pitched beep when it senses motion and now his boxer stays off. It's a small box and not very obvious when set between the pillows.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Thu May 05, 2016 12:52 pm

At home my dog doesn't get to sleep on the bed either. Not that I would mind so much, but the routine (even going back to Q) was that only the cats can be on the bed. Not that sleeping with 5 cats on a bed can't be annoying as well. lol

I crate Dax at night anyway since I don't need chaos every time he goes nuts over some critter noise in the back yard. He loves, loves, loves his bedroom crate, to the point that he'll even hang out in there by himself sometimes during the day.

Sleeping in beds is a privilege when we travel, and he knows that. :grin:

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Thu May 05, 2016 1:41 pm

Ha, good, I don't feel like such a mean dog owner now. :blah:

Lyssa, that's a good suggestion -- right now I am using a panel from a very large (OES-sized) crate, and that is working well and isn't much of a hassle ... Amanda, I don't want to shut the other dogs out of the bedroom because Beau likes to be in there, and he's not part of the problem. My house is so tiny that even reducing that amount of space is noticeable, esp since the Merle Girls and Charlie have the dog room (front bedroom) all the time now.

I'm pretty sure they can all adjust, and because I have a bunch of rude boys in the house, privileges often have to be re-earned, so I am with you on that topic, Sabine. And Alex just is prone to lifting his leg. I think a large part of being a contented and happy dog owner is to recognize what you have to work with! Some dogs are anxious off-leash; some dogs like to mark on bedding. Don't put them in situations where the outcome will be something you don't want, I tell myself. :lol:

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Thu May 05, 2016 6:25 pm

I totally agree with you!

I'm proud to report that when I moved into my new house I kept my bedroom door closed for the first several days because I didn't want the dogs on my brand new mattress/sheets/comforter.

I was SHOCKED the first time I opened my bedroom door & left it open while I went to put clothes away - all 3 Boxers waited outside the door. :jawdrop: :saint:
Not only waited, eventually sat down while waiting for me. I've kept the door closed since and now they won't come in unless I invite them.
It is bizarre!!! But great!!!

I don't mind one dog at a time sleeping with me but not all 3 at once. I don't know why I ever allowed that. Ridiculous!

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Thu May 05, 2016 6:42 pm

I liked the system I had with Rosie and sam, they "asked" to come up on beds or couches by sitting and looking at me and i could choose if I wanted to invite them up. No dogs ever slept on the bed or wanted to, it was more if I was flaking out on the bed in the evening or on a weekend. It was never an issue though because it wasn't a big deal to them.
As the old dogs got old and arthritic, they started occasionally hanging out on the sofa. Now it is where Sam sleeps and he'll pretty much tell you he wants to go to bed and could you either move along or at least make room.
Tricky loved hanging on my bed by day, but was fairly disturbed by movement and would always end up in her own crate by choice over night.

Then along came Will, the most spoiled rotten puppy I have ever had. He is so sweet and cute and came at a time I was just so sad and worried about Ben and my old dogs getting old, that he has been allowed everywhere. He sleeps on the floor by his choice, but he jumps on the bed to say good night and good morning, bringing with him, dirty paws and grit and hair. he hangs out on the back sofa cushions, smooshing them down. I am wishing I had given him the same rule structure as Sam and Rosie. I know Geoff would be happier if the bed didn't have dirt and hair from dogs.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Fri May 06, 2016 6:38 am

Alex was in Will's position, but SADLY, Alex started marking, and that made me re-evaluate everything. Keep that leg down, Will!!!

Lynn, that's funny, because last night I took the baby gate off my bed and not a single dog went up there. I guess they are re-forming their habits! Not that I will trust Marky McMarkerson as far as I can spit ... :blah:

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Fri May 06, 2016 7:02 am

The dogs don't come up until DH is up and out of bed. Queen size bed and DH is 6'2" and I'm 5'8" there simply isn't room. Although somehow Skye managed to talk us into sleeping on the bed for years. I don't think any of us slept well. I keep a baby gate up during the day or close the bedroom door so the dogs don't wallow around on the bed all day while I'm gone.
Funny though I do make the bed, set all the pillows just so and then cover the whole thing with an ugly sheet every morning.

KatrinH

Postby KatrinH » Wed May 11, 2016 9:48 am

Can you just keep your bedroom door shut if you are not there to watch them?

Ranger is not a snuggler, so he doesn't come up on the bed when I sleep in it anyway (I used to be able to invite him for an occasional snuggle, but that's over now too as he has aged, but that worked on invitation). Since I live with a roommate he has to stay in my room when I am gone, I bought a King sized sheet for my Queen bed and cover it as he does like laying on the bed by himself (go figure haha). Still get some sand/hair in my sheets beneath and if he is really muddy it has printed through, but it is the best I can do at the moment.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Thu May 12, 2016 8:48 pm

I don't want to keep them out of the bedroom, because Beau likes to be in there during the day, and also my house is so small that I don't want to reduce the space any further. My NDOTB policy is working out great, though, the crate panel keeps Alex and Rowley off it during the day. Dee still gets up on it, but she's not the problem. It was the after-dinner wrestling games between Row and Alex that took place on my bed that led to bad behavior.

Still enjoying clean, unsmelly bedtimes! :thumbup:

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Sun May 15, 2016 10:28 am

I can't even imagine sleeping with a dog! I've recently allowed all 8.5 lbs of Scout in bed, and she's a PITA half the time. DH is working on training her to sleep at the foot of the bed, but it's slow going since I'm a deep sleeper. She wakes me up enough to lose good sleep but not enough to shove her off my pillow,chest, or head. :rolleyes: It's actually worse in warm weather because she stretches out and we wake up occupying 1/4 of the bed and she's got the rest!

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Fri May 20, 2016 7:05 am

Oh goodness no, I've never had dogs on the bed at night! I think herding breeds like their own space, and they also don't sleep curled up with each other the way some other breeds do. :tongue:

Still enjoying NDOTB policy! Habits have been re-formed, no dog is traumatized, and my bed remains exclusively MY haven. I should have done this years ago.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Mon May 30, 2016 9:19 pm

Ha! I had to train Max TO sleep on the bed (Thunderstorms not withstanding)! Most of the time he starts at the foot of the bed and ends up on the floor in his bed. When we leave he sleeps on the bed, I know because I've come home to find him there, not at all concerned that we're home. He doesn't like us moving on the bed at night, even if it's to accommodate him so he usually moves to the floor. I think it's cooler there too and he generally runs warm.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:19 pm

How about using an expen (or two) encircling the bed? Just make sure you can pull out both sides so you can actually get into bed. Basically, what I'm saying is crate yourself...
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”