Don't bring your dog with you

All kinds of dog talk here!
whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Don't bring your dog with you

Postby whiteboxerboy » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:25 am

So, a Saturday morning patient's mom has brought their English Setter into the waiting room with them several weeks in a row now.
Obviously I don't care but: the waiting is small & very crowded - 4 kiddo's plus a parent or two and siblings are arriving and 4 more et al are leaving, along with therapists trying to talk talk with parents before they leave.

Sadly the mom just walks dog in & drops his leash, leaving him to navigate the chaos on his own & there's no place for him to sit or even lie down w/o being steeped over/on.

So, since it's my patient *and* I'm the dog person I've been elected to tell the boundary-less mom not to bring the dog in. Oy. I hate confrontation. It really will be best for the dog and thank goodness it's cool enough for him to wait in the car now. She takes him for a walk while I see her kid. I know this is the only walk he gets all week so I hope she doesn't stop walking him.

So, any ideas how I can gently convey this w/o offending her are appreciated. I think I'm going to tell her another parent has complained b/c her kid is allergic.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Don't bring your dog with you

Postby SherriA » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:49 pm

I think the allergy card is a good one to play, even the possibility of allergies. You might also see if there are any liability issues that the practice owner would be responsible for. If he's not an "official" part of therapy, is there a risk that the practice could be on the hook for additional insurance, etc? Blame the big, bad insurance companies!

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:55 pm

What type of setting is this? Geesh if he can be left in the car and she's dropping off, why the heck would she bring him in?

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:33 am

So, can I do this via email or do I have to do it in person/phone? He has an appt. this afternoon so I may see her but the nanny may bring him.
Last edited by whiteboxerboy on Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:36 am

What type of setting is this? Geesh if he can be left in the car and she's dropping off, why the heck would she bring him in?
Because she is beyond clueless and has absolutely NO boundaries. Last week I was **literally** sick to my stomach standing there talking to her with the PT while the kid was acting out & totally inappropriate and she was doing the human equivalent of 'jackpot treating' the kid. It was GROSS and I usually don't pick up on things like that but omg it was so gross.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:19 pm

If you were to go with email I might say "Dear Ms. xyz, I noticed you brought your beautiful English Setter with you to drop off little Jimmy last week. As you know, our waiting room can get a little hectic and we would like to keep all members of our families safe, including (dog). Some of our patients are also medically fragile and prone to allergies. We know Jimmy loves his pet, but to ensure safety of all our clients we can only allow certified assistance and therapy dogs in our facility. Please refrain from bringing your dog inside the building when dropping or picking up Jimmy. Thank you for your understanding."
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:54 pm

Great email! Professional, kind, clear.

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:01 am

Yes, excellent email!! Thanks for the reminder, somehow this slipped my mind. Yikes!
Thank you, I believe I'll be using this as an outline. It would probably be better if one of the admin girls addressed this but whatever, they think I should since he's my patient.

Stay tuned. Hopefully tmo morning won't be too awkward. Oh, I also found out she arrived 30 minutes early for his appointment last week & brought the fog INTO our therapy gym looking for me. WTF??? Oy. Must be nice to have the world revolve around you all the time. Except when it doesn't.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:26 pm

I just had a thought, I don't think ADA will let you ask if an animal is "certified" since there is no national registry to standardized test so if you're mom is savvy about those things I might drop the word "certified".
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:33 pm

Not "certified" but you can state "registered" since as far as I know, all of the therapy groups I know of require the dog and handler to pass a test and register with their group for insurance purposes. So I tell people Havana is a registered therapy dog.

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:52 pm

Therapy dogs do have registries and such, but as a business, the only appropriate questions you're permitted are "Is this a service animal?" and "What tasks is the animal trained to perform to assist you?" There are no "papers" or ID of any sort. A business may ask a handler to remove the animal if it is disruptive or soils the facility - and you can absolutely insist that it must remain leashed and under complete control at all times even if she insists it is a service dog.

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:50 pm

Any update on this?
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:34 pm

Thanks for all of the good ideas, they were helpful.

Nothing really dramatic to report. Mom & kid walked in, kid was having temper tantrum about dog being in car (tantrum not truly about dog not being with him, kid is just a manipulative nightmare who prefers throwing tantrums and then soaking up all of mom's attention over it. It's gross.
Anyway, as they came in I just quietly told her that from now on she can't bring the dog into the clinic. She rolled her eyes and then said something about having 'paid her money' forh to be a therapy dog. ???? But, he's totally not a therapy dog and she knows I know that. She was a little annoyed but seemed to understand.

She has him in a prong collar. She was apologizing to me about one day then told me how hard he pulls & that he hasn't had any training. And don't get me started on how badly he needed a bath and a good comb out /mat removal every time I saw him. Poor poor dog.

So, that's that n

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”