What season is your dog's least favorite?

All kinds of dog talk here!
Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

What season is your dog's least favorite?

Postby Calypso » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:00 am

I thought a little bit of levity would be a good break from the serious things going on in ODOer's lives right now. So, what is your dog's LEAST favorite season and why?

Pixel hates winter because he's naked, low to the ground, and it snows in WI. He loves spring because it's warm enough to lay outside in the sun and there are baby animals that are easier to catch.

Havana HATES autumn. There is so much going on that she can't keep up. It all starts with the squirrels running around, then leaves fall off the trees and sound like squirrels. Today was the last straw. An invisible hand was throwing black walnuts out of the tree every time the wind blew. Oh, and the soccer fields across the street are being used without her permission and she can hear the loudspeaker from the high school announcing sporting events in the stadium. She has to constantly tell the to be quiet. Loudly. Her favorite season is probably summer. Warm enough to lay out in the sun, but the leaves are on the trees so she can get shade when she needs to.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: What season is your dog's least favorite?

Postby SherriA » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:50 pm

Henry hates winter - salt and ice and snow on the roads, cold weather, and a miserable, grouchy human in the house.

Autumn is a close second because it's cold in the morning, ground is wet every morning and for longer than usual because it stays below the dew point for so long, and OMG so many allergens everywhere so he's extra itchy too. Oh, and grouchy human in the house because I hate autumn most of all (everything is dying, and it's the furthest point away from my beloved summer which feels like it's abandoned me forevermore, and I have to turn on the heat in the house).

Please send all the summer and a bit of the spring (after the worst of the allergens and the rain, tyvm) to our corner of CT. We promise to love them for you.

EllaBella
No, I don't have a life!

Postby EllaBella » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:54 pm

Fraggle is not a fan of winter. When we actually get snow, it balls up like crazy on her fluffy legs and I have to pull snowclumps off of her. She would rather bask in the hot sun until I make her come in before she gets heatstroke.

Kirby....well, he came from Los Angeles so this will be his first winter. He was unafazed by rain but who knows how he will feel about snow if we get any this year.

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:28 pm

Ummm... what is this word you speak... season? I don't know season. rofl

My dogs like to sunbathe. Cooler months are better than the hot ones where they can't stay out too long. We get very little rain.... never snow.... maybe the hottest days of the year. Like this weekend isn't their favorite. I don't know. lol

KatrinH

Postby KatrinH » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:36 am

Ranger doesn't like summer. He is not a heat dog, he prefers cool weather, which also amps his energy by millionfold it seems haha. He does seem to enjoy doing some water (up to tummy) things when it is warmer, but he is also not picky to do those when it is not so warm haha. He goes nuts over snow, doesn't mind rain and simply just seems to be quite content no matter what the weather ;) (except again really hot heat like we had this past summer, where he wanted to go out during the day and if you open the door he would look, then drop his head and with the saddest expression trot back inside the cool).

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:58 am

Mine never have seemed to show any dislike for, or are bothered by, the changes out of doors. They've all loved to run in the snow and would stay out until the feet were painful and none have taken notice of rain. Of course, extreme weather events like hurricane-force wind and rain is different. Right now we are all enjoying the glorious perfectly warm sunny days in the mid 70s and pleasantly cooler temps at night in the 50s. The munchkins don't want to come back inside. Any time there are birds, squirrels, and rabbits to chase is a good day!

The thing I'd say is that they have the pleasures or dislikes of certain outdoorsy things that go with the seasons:
Rabbit poo is good but those frozen nuggets are like crack. It's in the DNA of certain orange dogs, dontcha know. The rabbits seem to like the spots I shovel snow away and that makes lovely dessert servings delivered right to the door. It's like home delivery of pizza!

The snow - they've all wanted to plow into it and don't seem to understand that sometimes they are small. Love it! Dixie would use her head as a shovel and come up all white faced and then run around all giddy. Goofy. I regret not getting video of their antics.

The wind - ChiChi loved it blowing in her hair and would stand facing into it taking in all the interesting smells. Dixie didn't mind it unless it was swirling around, couldn't face into it and was blowing her ear fringies around all wrong. And at night: "omg, ack, the weeds and bushes are blowing," so that Cinnabon is skittish and convinced demons will leap out and eat her.

Benson wants to plow through the fallen leaves that gather along the fence as fast as he can go. This is in Spring because pin oaks hold their leaves over Winter. Isn't there one Charlie Brown character that was always drawn walking and stirring up the leaves?

Fun post, thanks for the memories.

Tatyana
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Tatyana » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:17 am

Perry was not a fan of winter. Or early spring, or late fall. Or cold, or rain, or ice, or snow, or wind. You guys remember his full winter gear for maximum weather protection. He tolerated high heat super well, though.

Debbie doesn't seem to dislike anything. Rain makes smells smellier, snow is fun, wind is not an issue, and sun is lovely. She gets a bit sluggish when its super hot, and doesn't really want to walk when its colder than -10c, but she'll tolerate it if she must.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:48 pm

Mitzi doesn't like the rainy season. Which on the We(s)t Coast can be any time from Jan 1 to Dec 31. Except for the past two years when we have been in a drought here much of the time and had very little rain. Still, on the rare occasions it rains, she runs out the door and comes to a screeching halt at the left side of the back porch, then turns around and runs to the right side of the porch to see if it is also raining there. Then she looks at me as if to say "WTF! Turn off the water!". Sorry Princess...
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:19 pm

Roscoe was not a fan of wet, whether that wet was in the cold or the heat. He was so funny when we first moved to Oregon. He eventually got used to it, but it was a good thing he had an iron bladder (or maybe not iron - something super stretchy that never fills up). He'd go a full day without peeing if he could avoid wet stuff from falling from the sky.

Bella doesn't seem bothered by any season. Possibly the very hottest days of the summer get to her, but regular summer is fine. Her coat is very insulating. Even in pouring rain her skin doesn't get wet. I suspect that in summer it's insulating the other direction as well.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:29 pm

Max is not a fan of wet or extreme temperatures. Peeing while raining is like torture for him. Snow isn't fun but he'll go out. On the opposite side of the coin, Max doesn't like being hot so when we crank down the temps in the fall/winter Max is very happy. Charlie, OTOH, hates being cold and will lay in the sun outside as long as there is sun to lay in.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”