We said goodbye to Dixie

All kinds of dog talk here!
JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

We said goodbye to Dixie

Postby JudyL » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:35 am

Most of you already know that Paul and I said our final goodbyes to Dixie on Friday morning and had her euthanized due to her kidneys failing, and it was exactly 6 months to the day that we said goodbye to her sister ChiChi. She battled kidney issues for the last year or two, and mid-2014 started being treated for an enlarged heart with a very significant murmur. She was also a cancer survivor having had one anal sac removed in early 2012.

We are all terribly sad around here, and we will miss Dixie forever, but I need to try to get out of my well of despair and remember all the fun, happy, joyful, and goofy things about her instead of dwelling on the sadness and continuing to wallow in my grief. So instead of that, this post is to remember Dixie for who she was and celebrate the life she had with us.

Dixie was a total joy to live with in every possible way. She was one of the friendliest dogs I ever had, was confident and outgoing, and she wanted to meet everyone she saw, humans and dogs alike. She went lots of places and did lots with us in her earlier years, and she, Chi, and Cinnabon all made regular visits to the nursing home when my mom had a short stay of several months, and other than the slippery tile floors, she loved meeting all the people as we made our way to mom's room. She also happily greeted all of my clients when they came for appointments, and in later years when her hearing started to fail and didn't run into my office, some of my clients would actually ask to she her and ChiChi too.

Dixie had lots of funny things she did. She was the only dog to play with all of the squeak toys; they were all hers! The day we brought her home as a young pup, I set her down on the floor and she ran to the pile of toys and laid down in the middle of them and proceeded to find all the squeakers. Sometimes she'd roll onto her back with one in her mouth squeaking it until she fell asleep that way, and would wake slightly and give it another squeeze and go back to her dreaming. During her puppyhood, every time I got on the phone to talk, Dixie would run and grab a toy, stand right next to me and squeak it while I talked. I guess it was her way of talking too because she rarely barked, and I think I only heard her growl once or twice in her entire life.

Dixie loved having her hair brushed and having her pedicures. She'd lay on her side or upside down in my lap in totally relaxation and fall asleep while I trimmed her nails!

She was afraid when Paul would stand at the stove to cook. Sometimes it scares me a little too. She figured out that he might set off the smoke detector by his cooking on too high a temperature, so she'd automatically head for one of the bedroom until he was done. My cooking didn't bother her in the least. Smart dog!

Dixie had a theme song, the intro song to the original Beverly Hills 90210 TV show! No matter where she was in the house, when she heard that song start, she'd RUN into the living room and stare at the TV while the entire song played and would give head tilts during the growly guitar parts. When the song ended, she'd go back to whatever she had been doing. It was really comical. She loved something about that song.

Dixie loved everything about being outside. Nothing bothered her about being out in rain, and she loved the snow. She'd use her head to shovel down into it and come up with her face covered in white. She also loved being under the oak tree, I suspect mostly to search for rabbit droppings. I'd get her out from under there many times a day only to have her do an end run around me to get back under there. There were times I felt like a goalie out there with her!

I could go on and on about her all day but I'll stop for now. I hope some of this brought a few smiles because that was what Dixie was all about. She was and always will be our Pretty Gold Dog.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: We said goodbye to Dixie

Postby LisaT_II » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:29 pm

Thank you for sharing those wonderful memories of Dixie. I love when these little dogs are so much dog and so much personality :love: And I love how you let these little dogs be dogs, in all their glory.

You managed her issues so well. I'm just so sorry it was her time (hug) May her happy memories get you through this - what a big spirit she was!
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:33 pm

What a lovely tribute to you Dixie girl.

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:35 pm

aww, she was such a little clown! i love hearing how much she loved her squeaky toys, especially falling asleep with one in her mouth. ha, that made me smile & giggle!

i know how much she will be missed, she really was a special girl.

peace and comfort to you & Paul. you gave her a wonderful life.

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:50 pm

What a lovely tribute to a lovely little dog. She sounds like quite the character! :)
Last edited by Jen on Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:00 pm

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful tribute. She was obviously one in a million which such a lovely personality. I wish I could have met her, and I wish too, that there was a way to ease your grief. ((Big Hugs)) for you and Paul.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:22 pm

What a wonderful life she shared with you! I'm glad you have so many fun, happy memories of your clown. She sure had a big personality in tiny body!

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:59 pm

What a beautiful tribute, Judy - I can picture her surrounded by squeeky toys, falling asleep with one in her mouth - what a great image! My condolences to you and Paul - I know she leaves a big hole in your heart.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:08 am

Perfect tribute to the sweet squeaker—thank you for sharing all the silly stories! She sure left a big smile in our hearts. Love to you and Paul.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:47 am

Thanks for sharing, Judy. I'm so glad she had you and you had her. <3

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:20 pm

What a character! :love: I'm glad she had a long time with you and Paul, and obviously, she enjoyed every day of it. Thinking of her will always being a smile, which is her most immeasurable gift to you.

PofiMia
No, I don't have a life!

Postby PofiMia » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:36 pm

What a wonderful remembrance of such a charming and lovely dog. Pofi totally gets the fear of Dad cooking. Hasn't happened in years, but he has never forgotten how often Ken used to set the smoke detector off!! Night night, Pretty Gold Dog. You are lovingly remembered and dearly missed.

Yankee
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Yankee » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:18 am

What a nice commentary! I thought of Ollie this am when I dropped something. He always picked up everything I dropped and handed it to me.

Aubergine
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Aubergine » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:25 pm

What a great memorial to a fabulous little dog :love: I'm so sorry she's gone.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:56 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss but what fond and sweet memories of her. She will be deeply missed.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”