Foxglove, rhododendron, azalea

All kinds of dog talk here!
Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Foxglove, rhododendron, azalea

Postby Jen » Sun May 17, 2015 7:42 pm

What's the likelihood a dog would eat these?

We had this gorgeous plant volunteer. I used to pull it up every time it poked its head up because I thought it was a weed. Then I had no time to do any weeding this year and it grew 4' tall and bloomed.

Turns out it's foxglove. Totally toxic to dogs. While researching it, I learned rhododendrons and azaleas are toxic, and we have tons of those in the yard. They're gorgeous and I'd hate to lose them, and Bella hasn't eaten them yet, but she is a grass eater.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (555.23 KiB) Viewed 1558 times

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Foxglove, rhododendron, azalea

Postby SherriA » Mon May 18, 2015 6:13 am

I'd pull them all, but that's because I KNOW Henry would just have to have a taste as some point. This weekend he kept trying to eat the little whirly things coming off the maple tree, despite the fact that they obviously taste awful (he kept spitting them out then licking his mouth like little kids do after you give them something icky).

Is there any way you could put them behind some kind of fence or barrier to discourage her from investigating? Some of that little garden fencing, even though it's not tall enough to keep her out might be enough of a visual barrier since she's not interested in them so far.

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Mon May 18, 2015 7:06 am

Oh, there's no way to keep her out of them. The rhodies are 6-8' tall hedges along our fence line that borders her new friend. If I pull them, we'll have to put up a privacy fence. The azaleas are 2-3' hedges along the other fence.

I can pull the foxglove easy; I've been doing that all along unintentionally anyway.

EllaBella
No, I don't have a life!

Postby EllaBella » Mon May 18, 2015 7:56 am

I'd definitely pull the foxglove. I think it is significantly more toxic than the others (as far as a smallish amount being damaging). I know a lot of people with rhodendrons and azaleas and dogs who have not had issues but I'm not sure how actually safe it is.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Mon May 18, 2015 9:43 am

I've never had a problem with dogs eating rhodos or azaleas; the only animal with a passion for them was the alpaca I had, for whom they are also toxic - had to pull one and fence him away from the other. I've had foxglove volunteers from time to time, but not when I've had a food obsessed dog. Eddie helped himself to any and all vegetables or fruits in the garden, but never touched the flowers or shrubs that weren't part of my own diet.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

Yankee
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Yankee » Wed May 27, 2015 8:24 pm

I haven't had a problem with those either (till Bax)

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”