Dog surrender process

All kinds of dog talk here!
maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Dog surrender process

Postby maxs_mommy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:06 pm

S is out of town, in the process of moving her bro/sil and kids back to her parents. It's a cluster, to put it nicely and I am so angry at this whole situation I can't see straight. The relevant issue here is two dogs (shih/ chi cross, IIRC) that SIL technically owns. They're almost 10, special diet needs and basically living in a xl crate together except for the three times a day they're walked down the block to the corner to pee. On a good day, dinner consists of fish and hashbrowns, mostly beans and rice though. :banghead: Bro/SIL have less than no money. One dog ate something months ago, lost weight drastically and hot spots ensued and he's bald now. They didn't do anything about it because they couldn't afford it except deworm the dog. It did not gain weight. So, they need out of that hell and I'm thinking rescue relinquishment is about the only option. There is not a strong rescue presence where they will go but there is where we are. Do I have a hope in hell of even getting a rescue to take them? Is there anything I can do to get them into rescue or help their chances? I can't take them. Max won't allow it and I won't do that to him. Agghhh!
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Re: Dog surrender process

Postby Amanda » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:53 pm

It's worth it to try. Email everyone. State the situation. It sucks. You will get a ton of no answers. If there is a foster available or if you are able to financially sponsor the dogs, they will have a better chance. You will at least get some discussion from rescues if you are willing to help the situation. Otherwise they will read: special needs seniors and probably flat out refuse. Theu are a tough sell, but maybe someone will take a chance on them. Poor babies.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:08 pm

I would be completely willing to fund getting them back to healthy, I just can't physically house them and I don't trust bro/sil as far as I can throw them to do any sort of follow-through to help the dogs. We offered $$ to help bro/sil with first months rent/deposit but I'm reconsidering fulfilling that offer and using that money for the dogs instead. Honestly, a few months on a good diet would go a long way I suspect but who knows what kind of long term damage from an unbalanced diet has been done. 10 isn't on death's door for a small dog so they could be adopted, they're not fospice candidates or anything, they're just caught in a really crappy situation and surviving. This whole thing just makes me physically want to punch something (or someone).
Last edited by maxs_mommy on Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:09 pm

As long as SIL is willing to sign surrender papers, you do have a chance. Given their ages and special needs, check the website for The Senior Dogs Project - here's the link: http://www.srdogs.com/index.html, and the page for Missouri (if that's where you are still?): http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/needhomes.mo.html. I don't know how current it is and haven't checked to see if the links work, but it is a start, and also has some helpful information about finding homes for senior dogs and links to groups that specialize in this.

Contact every possible rescue group, including those in nearby states. Do check out the reputation of any that are willing to take them - there are people who set themselves up as a 'rescue group' but are merely brokers (flipping them ASAP to the first person with some cash, no homechecks or vet care or fostering) or worse. Many reputable rescue groups here are willing to 'courtesy post' dogs on their website or adoption boards even though they don't have the resources or fosters available to take on the dog themselves.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:19 pm

Thank you for the links, Jean. I will check those out. We are in Missouri but Kansas is 20 minutes away so I have some avenues, as well as being 3-4 hours from Des Moines, Omaha and St. Louis if I had to reach further. We have two no-kill shelters here but they're completely over-burdened and the waiting list to get in is months long so I thought I'd try rescues too. I know it's a tougher sell because they're technically in a home as opposed to coming from shelters. The shelter system where they will be is an old "pound" in almost every horrible sense you can conjure, so I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:10 am

Don't hesitate to reach out to breed rescues of small dogs even if it's not their breed. My Sheltie rescue (in Bloomington IL) has taken non-Shelties in the past, and various mixed-breeds. Your ability and willingness to fund their foster care will make a huge difference. Mention that *in the first sentence* and just keep asking.
If you can provide photos and availability details, I will be happy to contact various FB friends who work in and with shelters and rescues to help network them.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:13 am

CISR is getting an unknown number of dogs from a hoarder situation in MO where 62 Shelties were just removed from a home, otherwise I'd ask N to take this pair. But I absolutely can ask her for help with networking and contacts.

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:25 am

Glad you're stepping in to try & help the poor dogs. I'm sure it's frustrating. :(

You might consider putting a flyer with photo of dogs in vet clinics.... I realize they're going to need vet care, good food, etc but you never know who will see the flyer. They might be a good fit for someone. The staff at the clinic will also be aware of them in case they come across a good match.

Good luck. I hope you can find them a good place to go.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:23 am

Have you checked out The St. Louis Senior Dog Project? http://www.stlsdp.org/

You might ask the Grey Muzzle Organization for help networking them. They're a wonderful organization . http://www.greymuzzle.org/

There's also the Senior Dog Sanctuary in OH who might be able to help: http://www.sanctuaryforseniordogs.org/index.htm

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:48 am

Ugh. Poor dogs. Good luck.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:01 pm

Thank you Connie for the networking offer and everyone for their info and ideas. The dogs are still in FL. The drive back starts today. I should be able to start crossing t's and dotting i's with in the next week hopefully getting them healthy and rehomed.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:56 pm

So the one with no hair (filbert) looks like a hyena and his nails have curled into the paw pads. BIL won't clip them because he doesn't want to hurt the dog. They won't buy "dog food" because they don't have the money and Filbert is allergic to life so Ol' Roy is out and the dogs mug and grub for food constantly, especially Filbert. He actually tried to eat a cheese sandwich out of BIL's hand when they were in the moving truck. The dogs only get out of their crates when the kids aren't around or are in bed and the parents are up (which rarely happens) because they nip at the kids. The one with hair is in mats but in less bad shape. They chew inappropriately, destroy things and are sick of being crated for 18 hours straight, surprise surprise.
BIL/SIL have so much going on but when I broach the subject to S she clams up. I'm going to wait a month and then suggest that they relinquish. In the meantime I've bought a bag of fish/sweet potato wellness for the dogs. I've been told BIL wants to get a few paychecks under them and then take the dogs to the groomers. I've also been told they want to give the dogs more freedom when the kids are older (youngest is 2). By the time the kids grow the dogs will be on their last legs. We'll see. I don't hold out hope but all I can do now is feed the dogs. Relinquishment will be a hard sell. SIL has had them since they were puppies.
To add insult to injury, Mickey is coming back to MIL's for the summer because his home doesn't have a fenced yard and he'd rather be outside (because he was raised out doors or in his crate). That SIL/BIL work crazy hours and "don't have the scheduling to make it work". :banghead: They won't relinquish back to the rescue they adopted Mickey from, I tried. That means tying him on a long line so he only poops in a certain spot. :banghead: MIL/FIL do not want any more animals. They're not trying to be cruel, they just don't want to be saddled with their kids pets and will not help the situation for the animals sake. Too many humans demand attention first.
S even said to me "When were we raised to treat pets like this?" Sadly, I can point to several stories of less than ideal conditions when they were growing up, they just weren't considered less than ideal then. Beyond. Frustrated.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:57 pm

Oh yeah, the dogs are scaley and dirty enough even SIL won't touch them to herd them back behind a baby gate. WTF?

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:14 pm

Ashley, here is some info from a person in the Sheltie Rescue group:

I would refer them to Midwest Dog Rescue Network based in Council Bluffs, IA Very trustworthy and reputable all-breed rescue group. We work with them a lot. Contact is Monica Tway.

Also try:
Janeal Dominico, CPDT-KA at Wag N Train Terrier Rescue
"Tender Loving Care for Terriers in Need"

Here's another place. It's called Promise 4 Paws. They take in senior dogs. Some go to foster homes and some stay in their sanctuary for the rest of their days. She said they are really good. She would also like to get photos of them to see any of her fosters are interested.

I hope some of that's helpful.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:06 pm

Oh the state of those dogs just breaks my heart. The one with nails growing into his pads, and they're not going to do anything about it? That's just outright abuse. :( I hope they'll agree to let someone take the dogs and help them.

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:17 pm

Oh wow. I can understand being overwhelmed and that SIL loves the dogs and she's doing what she feels she can, but it's just selfish to keep them like this when help is being offered. A couple of paychecks could be 4-8 weeks - that's too long!

I'm glad you have resources ready if and when they're ready to do the right thing.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:36 pm

If you are taking them food, can you do nail trims too? or are you having food shipped?

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:30 pm

I'm having Chewy.com deliver the food ultimately. It's cheaper and I can set up recurring deliveries. I grabbed a bag at Petco today and took over there. The dog really needs to go to the vet for a nail trim at this point. I'm sure the quicks are ridiculous and the nails are black. They claim they did bloodwork (who knows how long ago) and everything is beautiful for both dogs. I sincerely hope so.
It's hard when you have nothing to your name to admit you need to give something up, I get that, but the dog's conditions are abysmal.

ETA: I went with Wellness simple small breed salmon and potato kibble but I just bought the smaller bag to see how they did. They won't tell me if he's getting better so I'll have to ask the MIL, who wants to be largely unobservant or make S look him over when she's up about once a month. They don't eat that much but rice and beans does not make a complete diet. Ugh.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:01 pm

So sad.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:22 am

So frustrating and so sad—I'm so very sorry you have to deal with this. I think you're handling it so very well.

Here's to hoping that the rice was fortified somehow. Not very nice rice tends to be.

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:42 am

Where in Florida? If they're near enough I will groom them and probably have product and supplements I can leave.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:38 pm

QBert, They're back in MO now, but thanks. They were in Port St. Lucie but drove back this weekend. The whole situation is bad. I learned today that they got the approval from Banfield to feed beans and rice as a balanced diet. Banfield is like the supercuts of vets, IMHO. You only work there on your way in or out of the profession.
Nana, I'm reasonably certain it's regular long-grain white rice. Filbert, the hairless one also has yeasty ears, I'm told. They just won't/can't do anything about them. He scratches contstantly.

I am on the sh!tlist now with S. Apparently I have impossibly high standards and they obviously care about the dogs or they wouldn't trim the matted hair out of one's eyes and have taken the hairless one to banfield at some point. :fie: I'm reminded that the human kids have to come first and I should worry less about the dogs and more about the people. I reminded S that the dogs have to come at some point if they're going to keep them they have to be responsible for them. All I can do for awhile is feed them and make a trip up to take care of them. I'll take Filbert in to get his nails clipped next week.
I truly appreciate the offers of help for these guys and the offers to dog-nap them. (Though I'm sure that would backfire, bigtime.) Truthfully, no amount of money or services will move these dogs up on the priority list and that's the crux of the issue, ultimately.

EllaBella
No, I don't have a life!

Postby EllaBella » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:31 am

Yes, human kids come first but that doesn't mean you get to neglect the animals. There are still expectations for a minimal acceptable standard of care. Even with a tight budget--you can still brush them and bathe them and clip their nails!!! You can still get them out of their crate and make some time for them. The food thing I get being a little more complicated, as it does cost money, so I am glad that you are helping them with that.

I hope that they realize that the kindest thing they can do for these dogs is to give them up, given their combination of unwillingness and financial inability to care for them (and I know plenty of people in pretty awful financial situations who have kids and yet still manage to have fed and clean and cared for dogs). At least you know that anything you can do is helping the dogs--even if it's just providing decent food or taking them for a nail trim.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:54 am

You don't have impossibly high standards, and you are totally in the right on this, but S may be feeling caught in a family situation. I know from experience that those defy logic and can make people get emotionally bound up in some unpleasant stuff. I'm sorry for that. And it's awful to have to watch something like this and feel so, so helpless.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: Dog surrender process- Long Update

Postby maxs_mommy » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:21 pm

I'm updating here to keep it all in one thread. It's been a frustrating day so if I sound snarky, I apologize in advance.

Today I took Filbert to the vet. BIL kept saying he was going to but, surprise surprise, he never did so S threw me under the bus and said I wanted to get his issues cleared up, which is no lie but it was a joint agreement. SIL apparently said she felt like a "bad dog mommy" because we were taking them to get vetted and paying for food. I don't disagree with her sentiment at all, mostly because she neglects them completely, money or no money to pay for things, but I held my tongue.

I found out Filbert is 13, not 10 like I thought. His banfield check up was two years ago, which means the skin issues have been going on for two. f-ing. years. So there's that. BIL was also woken up by my door knocking at 10 am but the dogs hadn't been out yet. BIL/SIL and kids sleep in the basement. Dogs (Filbert and Doodles, Filbert's 1/2 sister 2 years younger) were behind a baby gate in the kitchen upstairs. Dogs had peed in the kitchen already. Anyway...

Today I got Filbert's nails trimmed, which he hated but tolerated. They aren't curled anymore, just longer. He should be 15 lbs but is only 12. He's hairless on his body, neck and tail with his skin feeling like the worst dry skin you've ever had on your elbow x 1000. And he smells horribly. I was told he had a bath two days ago. How much I believe it, I don't know since I can't get the smell out of my nose after two soap lathers in the shower.

We went to the low cost vet about 3 miles from his home, my thinking was they might be able to keep this up if we go somewhere cheaper. The clinic is walk-in so you get whoever's available. I'm also thinking they're staffed by interns and residents since the clinic also helps support a rescue. We got a really great vet who was ready to tackle the problem and work toward a solution. He also said not to Vax and no dental even though Filbert has one clearly dead tooth while the rest are pearly white. We ran CBC, skin scrape and urinalysis. CBC came back mostly WNL with slightly elevated Alt, skin scrape was clear of mites and UA was free of bacteria but very dilute. His numbers were nothing too crazy and the reason banfield said nothing was really wrong with him, apparently. Except something is wrong and it seems frankly negligent for banfield to deny that, but that's water under the bridge. The next step is a Cushing's test and thyroid check. Since I hit my budget limit today and Cushings is an all day test with three blood draws, we'll go back once his skin clears. He got prescribed Clavamox and a Liver support, both to be administered twice daily, with food and can have 12.5 mg of benedryl if needed for itching.

So I get Filbert home, 2.5 hours later and tell BIL all of this including how he's going to need to feed Filbert twice a day to get the meds down him. This was a blow, not gonna lie. Apparently they only get their meal of beans and rice (with some fruits thrown in sometimes) at night, usually after BIL gets home from closing the (chain burrito open till 11 o'clock) restaurant where's he's an assistant mgr. SIL still hadn't come up from bed (1 p.m.) and I'm betting the other dog may have been let out once before being put back behind the baby gate but that's not a certainty that she'd been let out to pee at all. Ugh. Filb peed twice already that day with full bladder each time.

That brings me to food. We bought a bag of Wellness fish and rice two months ago, since that's what we were told that they eat when they eat meat. Last weekend we bought more, thinking surely it would help but maybe they'd bought their own bag when they ran out. It's not unreasonably spendy but not total crap either. Boy was I wrong. They're still working on the tail end of the first bag because BIL has been cutting it with, you guessed it, beans and rice. I told S to tell him that Filbert needs the nutrition and not to cut the food so he decided that Doodles would get beans and rice while Filbert gets dog food. WTF!

Which leads me to rescue. MIL wants the dogs to go to rescue, mostly because they're peeing in the house and no one's cleaning it up (SIL won't and just tells BIL to when he gets home from work.) so her kitchen floors are being ruined. MIL sees that the dogs need out but doesn't let them out because they might poop in the yard, so she might have to pick it up and they aren't her dogs and she doesn't want dog poop left in her back yard. FIL at least takes the dogs out from behind the baby gate and plays with them each day. Other than that, they snooze and pee behind the baby gate in the kitchen. I'd wager a lot of money that while I had Filbert at the vet, Doodles was ignored even though BIL and the one kiddo not in summer school were upstairs on the same level as the dogs.

I'm going to let MIL broach the rescue topic because 1) it's her house and 2) if I do it, it'll look like I invested in their dogs so they'd be more desirable when I "take them away" (not the case, the dog is miserably itchy and thin). Nope, nope, nope. No thank you. I also told MIL that I would not call in any favors until relinquishment was certain. I'm not going to cash in those chips if I don't have to. MIL did understand that logic, thankfully.

So that's the adventure so far. BIL and SIL were supposed to be at the in-laws house for two months, though privately MIL/FIL agreed to 6. BIL/SIL haven't made any progress toward moving out in terms of saving or looking for a place. At this point, I'm done. All I care about is getting that dog well, getting the other one de-matted and getting them somewhere with someone who actually wants them.
2015-06-22 11.04.03.jpg
No hair, jutting ribs, hips and spine
2015-06-22 11.04.03.jpg (86.69 KiB) Viewed 6222 times

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:58 am

This is all just heartbreaking Ashley. Thank you for doing so much to help these dogs. Most people wouldn't.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:56 am

It is so hard for my brain to grasp why these people would even have a dog since they clearly don't give a rats *ss about them. Thank you for all you are trying to do for them. I hope your relatives agree to surrender them and the dogs get a fresh start in a loving home. I can't imagine how frustrating this must be for you.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:34 am

I am sending you ODO sanity vibes. It must have taken the patience of a saint not to explode. So what is the plan to rid poor Filbert of the itchies?

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:26 am

Holy hell, I'm so, SO sorry, and thank you for helping these guys! :( I don't know if they realize that if a regular person just saw the condition of the bald and skinny dog, they'd likely assume it's abuse.

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:01 am

Why do they even want the dogs? They are a financial burden, and they don't even play with them. It makes no sense. I'm glad the dogs have you to catch them, and I hope BIL/SIL will let them go asap.

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”