This past week was the week from hell, as far as my critters go. It started with the cat and the two oldest dogs (Shiloh and Mitzi) being sick, off their food, and two with the runs. Then Wednesday, Eddie had a massive seizure while we were out for a walk. I've seen a lot of canine seizures but this was the worst I'd ever witnessed, and when it was over, I really thought he had died. Thankfully, he is right as rain now, and Monday is scheduled for a geri-panel etc so we can try to figure out what caused it. Meanwhile, though I know experts claim dogs (and people) have no memory of a seizure, Eddie flatly refuses to go for a walk - can't even get him out the driveway without his doing a stubborn-mule-sitdown.
But the week didn't end there - Thursday Shiloh (who will be 17 in just six more weeks) went for her morning walk as usual, but refused her dinner - a most unusual situation. Then she started staggering, falling, etc. Friday, she exhibited all the signs of death being just hours or days away. I did not expect her to make it through the night and ended up bringing her totally limp and nonresponsive body into bed with me. Yet yesterday she started to recover - though it may have been a swan song - and even attempted to chase the cat at one point. She's drinking water again, though not eating. She alternates between being able to walk and not being able to walk (staggering, falling over), and she falls on her rump when she goes pee (and looks astonished
). I don't think it is vestibular disease - she doesn't have the head tilt, nor is she circling except for one short episode yesterday, nor does she have that eye flicker thing. She may have had a stroke perhaps. She tried to have a bite of toast this morning but had a great deal of difficulty moving it to the back of her throat and swallowing. Same of a hand-fed piece of soft canned food. So now I am at the crossroads of knowing I may have to make a decision soon - I've always believed "better a day too soon than an hour too late" and even though my dogs have sometimes done this dance with death (getting better, then worse, then better, then worse) at the end I always knew it was time. On Friday, I tentatively booked her euth for Monday if she hadn't gone naturally before then, but now I'm not sure. I'm hoping I have a clear indication before a decision has to be made.
And Ms. Mitzi is still turning her nose up at food, taking a few bits of novel foods or treats occasionally, but not enough to maintain her - she's on meds for a possible ulcer, but this is sooo frustrating. And how much money do I sink into investigating Mitzi's and Eddie's health issues (they are 11 and 14) - I just this month made the last payment on the vet bills that accumulated ten months ago when all three were sick at the same time. I guess they must have seen me celebrating!
Just looking for sympathy/empathy I guess. And your positive thoughts for full recovery for Eddie and Mitzi and clear direction for Shiloh. (Allie the cat has fully recovered, thank goodness).