Shop Dogs

All kinds of dog talk here!
Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Shop Dogs

Postby Calypso » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:35 am

Dogs who go to work with their humans are totally one of the things that will completely make my day. I just love it. There's a shoe store where some dogs get to come in, but they're gated into the business office - same with a gymnastics place one of the kids went to for a birthday party. When I volunteered with Lab rescue, one of our dogs was adopted to be a shop dog for a local florist. And cats in shops are always fun, too, even if they prove to me that my cat would be a horrible shop cat.

Yesterday I saw quite possibly the BEST. SHOP. DOG. EVER. I noticed the yellow Lab in the paint store next to the restaurant we walked into. That was cool, but when we came out, I looked over and the dog was standing on his hind legs with his front legs, head, and chest leaning against the window ledge, about 2 feet off the ground. He was completely chilling like he was on a dog bed instead of half on a 12 inch wide ledge. Just looking out the window, not reacting at all to my kids or anyone else walking by. The girls wanted to go get paint samples, but we had to get home. Now I am totally tempted to drive 30 miles out of my way to buy paint from this dog - I mean store - even though there is another Mautz paint store 5 miles from me. And I wasnt' even planning on using Mautz paint!

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: Shop Dogs

Postby maxs_mommy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:21 pm

lol. I am on a quilting board and the amount of b!tching about shop dogs/cats and potential hair on fabric just makes me roll my eyes. Our locally owned used book store has 3 free range kitties who like to rub on you if you're lucky. It's enough of an enticement for me to go in and "look around" about once a week for a new book. :grin:
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:49 pm

My clients come here and expect to see dogs. Yesterday I had a manager for one of my largest business clients stop by to pick up his personal return and asked to see the dogs. Before he left, he was down on his hands and knees caressing Dixie and Cinnabon. :)

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:10 pm

I love it too. So fun when people are laid back enough to allow that. I go out of my way for stuff like too!

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:45 pm

I would want to buy my paint from that store too!

Yankee
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Yankee » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:28 pm

I always think that kind of thing is cool. Local nursery has a couple of dogs who greet everyone.

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:43 am

On Fridays I used to bring Cousteau in to the garden center/flower shop where I worked. I'd tether him to the computer and he'd chill until it was time to leave for agility. He was amazingly chill, considering it was Cousteau and customers liked talking to him when he'd poke his head around the counter, a safe distance from the public. My co-workers were all dog lovers, so they enjoyed him being around before the weekend push. It ended when the general manager's girlfriend-that-no one-was-supposed-to-know-he-was-dating-but-everyone-did came barreling around the corner looking for my manager and was startled by Cousteau laying on the floor. She complained to her not-boyfriend/totally-boyfriend and my manager ripped me a new one, even though she'd given me permission to bring him in.

I quit a couple of weeks later. I'd be lying if I said the stupid managerial decisions didn't play a part of it.

EllaBella
No, I don't have a life!

Postby EllaBella » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:45 am

I was at a hydroponic garden store (it's the only place to get worm droppings and coconut coir for soil blocks) and it's always an interesting place. I think I surprise them because I am for REAL growing vegetables. They have these awesome displays of vegetable plants and I name everything they are growing and ask how many lbs of tomatillos they have harvested already and they look at me like I'm crazy and ask what are tomatillos. Those seeds you planted because you can't grow pot in the storefront, dude.

Anyways, they had this very large and very friendly (intact) pit and were shocked I didn't mind him saying hi to him. He followed me around as I gathered supplies and they kept offering to call him away but I'm like "he's fine, I like dogs." He was a total wiggle butt smush. Then I'm getting the last thing I need and he rears up and wraps his front legs around me and starts trying to hump my leg. I told the guy, "I don't like dogs that much" as I pushed him off. They found it hysterical.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:37 pm

That reminds me, there's a fabric wholesaler in town that has a shop Golden Retriever named Holly who has mostly free run. She can be pesty as she gives everyone a very very thorough sniff-over (You know the type, lol) but if you call her and like being around her she becomes your new girl-Friday until the guys in the warehouse call her off. She makes me smile every time I have to heft 80 lbs of fabric out of there. I'm sure some of my cranky customers would be horrified to know about the potential dog hair on their wools and silks but I love going because of it.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:02 pm

My favorite shop dog was a Golden at the small mom/pop pet supply store. Every time someone went in, he'd go stand by the open bin cookies and bark once. He was allowed to have a cookie if a visitor wanted to give it to him, and he'd figured out how to ask for it.

Eventually, the owner had to tell people to only give him one of the tiny kibble-sized treats.

I was always impressed that he'd ask for the cookie and not just dive nose first into the bin, like Roscoe would! :)

I also love shop cats. There's an absolutely enormous Maine Coonish cat at a book store near my aunt's house, and he sleeps on the checkout counter. He walks over for headbutts and skritches when you check out.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:10 am

Oh, I forgot about the Thai Ridgeback that was the shop dog at the pet supply store where I used to live! She was stunning, a beautiful silver grey colour and in remarkable shape, but somewhat aloof (which I think is pretty normal for the breed). I spent some time talking to the shop owner and letting her get used to me, and after awhile she'd come out from behind the counter to greet me when I came in. I always felt special when she'd deign to pay attention to me LOL

KatrinH

Postby KatrinH » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:52 pm

No store dog experience, but the pet store where I used to live had a store parrot (or for sale?) and the employees used to walk around with it on their shoulders or heads and the parrot would stare you down if you stopped to ask the employee something lol pretty darn cute.

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”