Puppy naming!

All kinds of dog talk here!
Amanda
Permanent Resident

Puppy naming!

Postby Amanda » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:55 pm

Introducing Zöldmáli Szikla. It means rock and is pronounced kind of like seek-la with a z sound combined in the s.

Current call name ideas are: Zeke, Emmet and Logan.

Other Ideas? Opinions?

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Puppy naming!

Postby Calypso » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:47 pm

I like the "z" sounds, so I'm going for Zeke. I think it also passes the backdoor test easier than the others. Emmet is fun - especially if your kids are Lego crazed - but it sort of gets bitten off if you call it out. At least the way I say it. :P

Yankee
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Yankee » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:11 pm

How about Phil?

Yankee
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Yankee » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:13 pm

Actually I like Zeke and Logan; don't think Emmet rolls off the tongue as easily.

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:31 pm

My son is voting Emmet. My brother says keep the Hungarian name, no Americanizing it. I kind of like Seeker. It'd be a cool way to tie in hunting and make it easy for people to say and understand. Plus, Harry Potter. :smirk: :cool: I can't imagine trying to get the vet to call him Szikla or even "Zeke" if I spell it Szik. Brooke suggested Prince Cattery. :lol: Lainey had several suggestions, none too appealing. :blah:

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:14 am

I like Seeker. I considered it for Will. I am a huge Harry Potter fan and I think it's got a cute sound and meaning even if you aren't.
I wouldn't choose Logan personally because it's a hugely popular name for boys here. My kids always have a Logan or two in every class.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:47 am

I like Zeek!! I just started watching Parenthood last month, and Zeek Braverman always makes me laugh, so that's likely influencing my opinion.

Seeker sounds like a weapon to me, not sure why. Search and Destroy is what comes to mind, so I don't like the whole negative energy of it. I'm not a Harry Potter fan I have no idea what that association is, or if that would outweigh the negativity. (Yep, went to the dictionary and this is what it says for Seeker: 1. One who seeks. 2. A device used in a moving object, especially a missile, that locates a target by detecting light, heat, or other radiation. That's obviously why it sounds like a weapon to me.)

Phil still wins. Or Kevin. :)

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:46 am

I like Zeke. Or however you decide to spell it. I worked with a super cool, incredibly sweet PT dude named Zeke.

I'm not a fan of Logan at all, if my opinion even matters. It's fairly popular here as well. I just don't like it.

I don't mind Seeker, don't know anything about the Harry Potter connection to it.

Emmet, I dunno. It's ok. I know I'd end up calling him Emma or Emmie that's just me. I'd love a boy dog with the nickname Emma, actually.

How about Doc? Or Leo. ;)

I think they look so wise & grandpa-ish as adults, regal & scruffy all at the same time.

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:55 pm

I like Zeke and Seeker! And I have no Parenthood or Harry Potter affilitations. :D (I've seen both but I'm not a superfan of either.)

Not only is Logan a popular kids' name right now; I feel like I know a few dogs named Logan too.

I vote for Prince Cattery, though. lol

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:36 pm

Hubby axed Seeker. He thinks it's corny. It will probably be a nickname anyway. Zeke (or Szik) is looking like the winner. Joel is still hanging onto Emmet. We'll see. Maybe when I meet him he will just be a Zeke or an Emmet. Logan is a fave name of boys for me, but we are done with skin kids, so I thought maybe it would work for a dog. lol

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:58 pm

I really like Zeke. It's simple and short with a hard attention-getting sound for the dog. I'd keep Szik in your mind only and spell it Zeke so that people won't mispronounce it or create a need for explaining it unless you don't mind that sort of thing for the next 15 years for so. That would be frustrating to me though.

Name differences caused minor trouble in my getting Ben's license the first year because his registered name is on the adoption papers without any call name, and it is nothing like Benson. That was compounded by the breeder's vet having put only "Ben" on his rabies vax certificate. Not that going from Benson to Ben is any big stretch, but the county bureaucrat lady couldn't seem to fit that square peg in the round hole.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:49 pm

Or you can do like I did and have 3-4 possibles chosen and then go with something that wasn't even in contention to begin with. lol

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:43 pm

Or maybe Zach.

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”