Weird.

All kinds of dog talk here!
maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: Weird.

Postby maxs_mommy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:43 pm

Oh Roscoe! Glad to know he's bouncing a bit, I hope he eats better. Were you able to reschedule the vet?
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:01 pm

We'll try again tomorrow.

He ate all his rice and broth this evening, and he enthusiastically ate the bits of chicken I gave him from my dinner. So I'm boiling him some chicken now.

He also went potty and then came in and began shaking his bed, which he does sometimes when either frustrated or overstimulated. So that was interesting, but it's also the most action out of him lately. He's currently staring intently in my direction in the kitchen, so maybe the tramadol has helped with the pain and his appetite has returned?

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:15 pm

Rotten parent.
I'm glad he's feeling better. Maybe he wants some beef? :D

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:29 pm

So glad he is bouncing back.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:06 pm

He gobbled up his chicken, tail wagging the whole time. Then he went over to DH for what DH calls "face time" - that's where he stands and stares at you until you bend over enough to let him get within a few inches of your face and skritch his neck. lol

So we'll try chicken and rice tomorrow for breakfast and see how it goes. :grin:

He missed his shot at beef. We ate it. :wink:

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:13 am

This sounds familiar ... Sander got to the point where most proteins and all fats were no-go. He would eat eggs, either scrambled or soft-boiled, with wheat bread; maybe that would tempt Roscoe? And he liked brown rice with mackerel mixed up into it, some days. But yeah, he wanted carbs. Oh, and rice pudding, that he snarfed down.

Continuing to send you guys lots of 'be well' thoughts, no matter what direction 'well' is for R-Dawg right now. Hugs.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:36 am

YAY, so happy to hear that he's feeling better and eating!! :D Jumping up and down!!!!!

Maybe you could alternate the carbs with something like barley and oatmeal, too, depending how he feels and how his poops turn out. Barley congee (I filtered out the grain bits but pushed the "goods" through strainer) worked super well for MP this time around.

My rehab vet who is super knowledgeable (and very conservative about usage, which I really like!) about pain meds doesn't believe Tramadol alone (as opposed to being used as an adjunct for NSAIDS) is very effective for most dogs, and prefers to use Gabapentin for meds in that class of drugs. You could see if that may work for Roscoe better, should he need a different one at some point. She told me this when my reg vet gave us Tramadol for MP's leg gash that one time, and also when we talked about pain management for her owie shoulder.

Hugs!!!

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:22 am

Yay Roscoe! I wish I could come bring him some Auntie Heather's ho-made beef cookies and have some face time.

Interesting Re: tramadol and gabapentin. I don't think they are in the same classification. Gabapentin is an anti convulsant also (mainly?) used for nerve pain (Ben takes it for nerve pain). It is often very sedating. Ben was a zombie for 4-6 weeks when he first started taking it.
I thought tramadol was a narcotic, but looked it up just now and it's narcotic-like, but in a miscellaneous class.
I try to avoid NSAIDS for Sam because of his sensitive belly and narcotics for Rosie because of the MDR1. I have a few tramadol on hand in case he gets in trouble and my vet chiro is closed.
I'm going to ask my vet about that when I see her next week. Sorry for the hijack, I find this really interesting. Also wondering -is there some thought that Mp's issue/gimpy shoulder is a nerve thing.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:38 am

Adding to the hijack:

Tramadol is one of the few pain killers that I can take and I've had a standing prescription for it pretty much since it came onto the market. My doctors prescribe Ultracet which is Tramadol + Acetaminophen, not Ultram which is just Tramadol. When I asked about the addition of tylenol to it my doctor explained that tramadol is much more effective when used in conjunction with it than on its own. The combined effect is greater than the sum of it's parts, though they don't really know why. Since acetaminophen is a no no for dogs, I can see why Tramadol might not be the drug of choice.

Tramadol is classified as an opiod (it's a synthetic that binds very specifically to the same pain receptors as opiates) and an analgesic. Gabepentin is classified as anti-epileptic and analgesic, so I guess analgesic is the where they get the "same classification".

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:14 am

I've used Tramadol for my dogs with some success, but can't remember if they were on other drugs at the time. I take gabapentin (for fibromyalgia) and echo what Heather said - it made me zombie-like for a couple of months when I first started. I found it very challenging to find a dosage that eases the nerve pain but doesn't leave me wanting to sleep all day. I can see it being useful for Roscoe and MP if their problem is nerve-related though.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:12 pm

Oops, I think I just got confused about the "class" of drugs Tramadol and Gabapentin are in, because I retain information poorly in real-time. Sorry, you guys!

Here's an article my rehab vet wrote that I found that explains how some of these meds work in the body. I'm posting the PDF version because I think I had to sign in to read it on the website.
http://www.cliniciansbrief.com/sites/de ... actice.pdf

When my rehab vet suggested maybe Gabapentin, I don't remember if we were thinking nerve pain specifically, but it was a combo of it being more pain-relieving than Tramadol alone, would help us avoid NSAIDs, and also had a bonus of lowering seizure threshold. :)

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:25 pm

So glad he's feeling better!!!

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”