So sad

All kinds of dog talk here!
Claire
Yes, I do have a life!

So sad

Postby Claire » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:55 pm

I saw a lot of condolences on Facebook for one of my friends. I don't really know her except she graduated from my high school a few years before me and we have mutual friends. She has several dogs and one of them died suddenly. Someone asked what happened and here it is:
the dog choked on a turkey neck. Seems he had eaten MANY over the years and it's still a mystery what happened.

I guess, just like with people who have eaten various foods for years, choking can still occur. Such a horrible end.

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: So sad

Postby Calypso » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:14 pm

A coworker lost her foundation bitch to a turkey neck. L usually stood by her to remind her to slow down, two other dogs got into a scuffle so she went to deal with it and then her bitch started to choke. It didn't stop her from feeding raw, just which bones she feeds.

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:27 pm

shame. sometimes, it just... happens. a friend just the other day had her dog choke on a meatball. I'm sorry for your friend's loss.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:53 pm

Oh, how sad :(

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:37 am

Very sad. turkey necks have always made me a little uneasy.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:18 am

Oh, man, how sad and scary. Turkey necks scare me, too. I have to hold anything anyway (MP's a gulper), but I've always been particularly whiteknuckled with turkey necks—and MP being a gulper, I've always been afraid of choking in general. So, if a dog were to choke on it (or any other thing), is something like the Heimlich not very effective on dogs? I watch choking and CPR videos every once in a while, hoping that I may possibly remember something in an emergency some day, but have never had to do it for real.

Claire
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Claire » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:50 am

I recall stopping at a booth at a dog event and talking to a woman who taught canine Heimlich. At the time I led a dog-Meetup group and thought it would be a good idea to host her there. But it never panned out. I pray NONE of us ever has the need to use the technique.

PofiMia
No, I don't have a life!

Postby PofiMia » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:28 pm

Really tough - so sad for your friend. I am totally terrified of turkey necks - consider and eventually dismiss it with every turkey I cook.

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:32 pm

That's very sad. :( Turkey necks were a staple for us for a while, but they were gigantic. No way you could gulp them. The necks in the whole turkeys you buy at the grocery store always scare me.

EllaBella
No, I don't have a life!

Postby EllaBella » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:39 pm

Fraggle has been heimliched and saved three times. chicken neck, turkey neck, chicken nugget. It is terrifying. It works (she passed out and pooped with the first chicken neck incident). I mash up her scrambled eggs with a fork at this point.

I'm so sorry for everyone who had lost a dog like this. I'm pretty convinced that that is how Fraggle will eventually go. I lock her away in a room during parties because I can't chance someone dropping a cracker because "chew" is not a function of a Muppet.

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”