9th Annual "What Are You Gonna Do With Your Dogs?" thread

All kinds of dog talk here!
Trademarkbark
No, I don't have a life!

9th Annual "What Are You Gonna Do With Your Dogs?" thread

Postby Trademarkbark » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:33 pm

Yes, once again, it is that time of year!

This is an ODO tradition for me to start a thread where everyone can list their goals for their dogs for the coming year. It can be show/performance, training or health ... anything you plan to achieve with your dogs next year!!

And for those that forgot, here's what we said we'd do in 2014: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30764

Our 2014 Goals:

Spud - next step, Steeples Grand Champion title, and we will dabble in the the AKC conformation ring, as the breed goes into the Miscellaneous group 1/1/14. She's kind of lost interest in Lure Coursing, so it will probably just be racing, focusing on staying in the Top 10 (All Stars) for another year.

OE - still want those USGRCH or UFGRCH titles, so with the up and comers, this should be doable in 2014. OE will also be pursuing her AKC CAA and CAX lure coursing titles, as she is really loving this venue! She will also be putting her paws in the AKC conformation ring, working on getting a CM (Certificate of Merit, the equivalent of CH for Miscellaneous class breeds).

Grytz - hoping for, at a minimum, her beginning Terrier Racing titles (UFR and USR), plus first level lure coursing (CA) if she'll decide it's fun to finish a course instead of just doing half then running back to me all wiggly and proud. :hmm:

What we ended up doing:

Spud - due to a minor lure coursing injury, Spud was pulled from all performance events, just for my peace of mind. She made one trip to the AKC conformation ring and reminded me that she did not like being a show dog, so no more shows for her. She has been doing an awesome job as my Emotional Support Dog and homebound Medical Alert Dog. (She cannot work in a public capacity because she has decided that all strangers should maintain a 6 foot perimeter around me, and is very aggressive about it. :( Alas, she means well ....

OE - We attended the 2014 Patterdale Terrier Club of American Conformation and Performance Challenge Nationals, entered in the "Non-Patterdale" class. OE did a great job, coming home with 2014 National Reserve Racing Champion. We did one AKC show, but lately she gets so excited in the ring that she just flattens her ears and wiggles her butt the whole time. Very happy and cute, but not conducive to winning, so I have retired her as well. We continued in UKC racing and finally in October, OE earned her UFGRCH title!. She is also ranked in the Terrier Racing All Stars in Steeples, so we're happy with that.

Grytz - The little Gumby Puppy has done all that I wanted and sooo much more! She earned her beginning racing titles (UFR and USR) as I had hoped, and is only a few more shows away from the required points for her UFCH and USCH titles as well. She is presently ranked #1 in Terrier Racing All Stars for Steeples and #3 in Flats, although we are waiting for UKC to tabulate the year end scores, so she may have made it to #2 in Flats. Grytz also attended the 2014 Patterdale Terrier Club of American Conformation and Performance Challenge Nationals in the non-Patterdale classes and she came home with a first place in conformation, plus the 2014 National Racing Champion and 2014 National Performance Challenge Champion honors! Then, after that, she was tested and passed her American Temperament Test Society's TT certificate with flying colors. She is only the fourth dog of her breed (with Spud and OE being the first and second) to have this certification. And for conformation, she did a bang up job there too, with several Best of Breed wins in UKC, several Winners Bitch/Best Opposite Sex wins in AKC (earning points towards her CM), and in then November, we were the proud recipients of a UKC Best in Show!!! This little dog can do it all! :thumbup:

So, now let's see what YOU'RE gonna do!!!
CA UFGRCH USCH GRCH "Spud" TT FDC CA CGC TKN
CAX UFGRCH USCH GRCH "OE" TT CA TKN FDC BCAT CGC
USCH UFCH GRCH GCH "Grytz" TT CGCU TKN FDC
CH "Doozy" FDC CGC TKN

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Re: 9th Annual "What Are You Gonna Do With Your Dogs?" threa

Postby Amanda » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:32 pm

Goals from 2014:

Freddy: Keep him happy and healthy. Homecook for him at least half time.
Well, we made it half the year. The good news here is that he was happy and healthy up until his last crisis pretty much. Still miss my big yellow man.

Landis: Take another Nosework class. I really enjoyed that last time and so did he.

I never did take that Nosework class. I restarted some Nosework training here and there and just generally did some more fun stuff with him. He is still an odd duck. Wants to be close sometimes, but isolates himself a lot. He seems a little lonely the last month or so. Hopefully new puppy boy will liven him up.

Both dogs: Take more time for walks and play.
This happened. Life is easier with older kids so we get out quite a bit more.

Goals for 2015
Landis: Pop in on at least one drop in Nosework class. Clicker train something new. Keep him fit and healthy. Work on food choice/greasy coat issue.

New puppy: The goals are many and multi-faceted. Go to puppy class, go to hunt training days, socialize, maybe a confirmation show? We'll see how things go, but mostly it will be all about peeing where he's supposed to and sleeping through the night for a while. :)

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:12 am

For the first time in what seems like ages I have more than just "try to keep him as happy and healthy as possible" goals!

For 2015 my plans are to take Henry to a basic "good manners" class to see how he does in a class environment. I actually think it might be easier for him to focus than it is at home where he's so overwhelmed by the idea of food that his brain just fizzles out completely. Assuming he enjoys it, we'll look at other classes, depending on what's available.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:18 am

Keep R&S healthy and happy. Make sure they get gentle exercise and play.
Trick- Ah Tricky, my odd one. I'm not sure really. I think she would actually be happiest as an only dog being pampered and not having to worry constantly about who has what and making sure nobody is touching her stuff or getting her attention. She is so weird and neurotic. She likes her neighbourhood walks and evening cuddle time--not hard to provide.
Will puppy- potty training, settling in a crate and laying a nice solid foundation. Still hard up for good classes here so I'm using CU games and Sue Ailsby's training levels for accountability.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:47 pm

2014 Recap:

Classes/Training:

* Continue with our Wednesday Advanced Novice class. This is my favorite class and I'm going to stay in it until the instructor tells us to move on to higher difficulty.
We've stayed the course with our Wednesday class, but I'm not liking the direction it's taking. There is now too much focus on Open, when we are still working on Novice exercises.

* Continue with our Monday Comp Prep class, and grow into it more.
We eventually quit the Monday class due to much of the same issues as with the Wednesday curriculum, but exercises being even more advanced. Too much off leash work for my dog, and a long line isn't always practical (e.g. jumping).

* Work on "no peeing on straw/hay bales", so we'll actually have a chance to qualify in BHA barn hunt.
I'm pleased that this was actually much easier than I expected. Moving up to the higher classes (hunting more rats instead of being removed from the ring after finding the first (only) one definitely helped.

* Make more progress on attention heeling so we can start entering ASCA rally and obedience.
It's coming along well, but still hard for a litle dog with high prey drive. I'm playing lots of heeling games, so at least it's fun.

Events:

* More JRTCA trials! I see about 4-5 in our future for 2014, plus of course I want to go to Nationals again.
We made all 5 trials and Nationals, and had a wonderful time. Dax was Weekend High Point Open Terrier at Spring Fox Frolic, Reserve Best Working Dog on Sunday at Terror in the Pines, Reserve Best of Suitability on Saturday at Rainier Hunt Classic plus also Reserve Weekend High Point Companion Terrier, Reserve Weekend High Point Companion Terrier at Battleborn Bonanza, and won the overall 2014 Way Out West High Point. At Nationals he placed 4th in Working Terrier Dogs 10-12.5" rough/broken and 6th in Suitability to Fox, earned the 3rd leg for his Rally I Certificate, and also a leg in Novice Obedience.

* Get 2 more legs for our JRTCA Rally I certificate. This will be tough because I think we'll only have a chance at 3 runs total, including 2014 Nationals.
We did it! Despite going into obedience and rally right off the race track, Dax earned one Rally I leg in TX with a perfect score of 210 (JRTCA uses WCS Rally rules) and a second at Nationals with a score of 207.

* Start working on earning legs for the ASCA RN
This did not go as expected, but I'm very pleased with the direction things took. Instead of ASCA Rally we opted for Beginner Novice, since ASCA started offering it this year. The class is almost identical to its AKC counterpart. We entered 2 trial days with 2 runs each this year, and while Dax was just a little too excited and distracted to pass in June, he earned Q's in both runs in September, the weekend before Nationals.

* Start working on BHA titles.
We did - Dax passed his RATI and earned his first Novice leg in January, 2 more in April, and completed both RATN and RATO on the same weekend in May. Unfortunately none of our 4 Senior runs to date qualified, mainly due to running out of time, but we were oh so close twice!

* Give the CGC a try finally, and find an ATTS test.
Sadly this didn't happen. There was only one ATTS test within reasonable driving distance for me this year, and it was on the second day of our trip back home to CA from WA. Available CGC tests either conflicted with more important events, or fell on weekends where I was unavailable.

* See how Dax does in conformation in the Working Terriers class.
It's tough if you often are the only dog in the class (if split by coat type). It's also tough if you end up in a class with Sweetgrass Mac, because he wins everything. lol We did manage one Reserve Best Working Dog at a trial though, out of 4 dogs total entered in working dog classes. This is pretty much the same as in 2013, where we managed one Reserve Best Open Dog. Dax did really well again in his suitability classes though, especially in Fox. At Nationals he was in the ribbons to Fox, with 6th place, out of 22 or 23 dogs entered.

* The big one: if Sherri will put up with me I would love to take Dax hunting again.
She did, and we did! :) Dax earned 3 more Natural Hunting Certificates, all to Nutria. It was a great trip and I can't wait to go again.

Some of the most exciting achievements:
* Completed the BHA Open title in 3 straight runs, with 2 of these being 1st places in the small dog class.
* Earned 2 ASCA Beginner Novice legs, on the same day.
* Earned a Novice Obedience leg at Nationals. I had not expected to Q and entered the class only because we have so few chances to do JRTCA rally and obedience.
* Completed the JRTCA Rally I certificate, all 3 scores over 200, one perfect score.
* Won the 2014 Way Out West High Point, which included a considerable cash prize.
* Came home with ribbons from Nationals, both in conformation and performance.

What I really didn't see coming at all:
Doing ASCA obedience instead of rally, and qualifying in Novice obedience at Nationals. What a great dog I have!

2015 Goals:

Classes/Training:
* Unless something changes in the training classes offered, I'll probably be limited to the Wednesday Advanced Novice as it is, but we will continue.
* Hopefully add a second class again, if something suitable pops up.
* Step up emphasis on off leash work, so we can eventually enter Novice obedience outdoors.
* Work hard on focus in distracting environments, so we can enter rally trials outdoors.

Events:
* Get that final ASCA BN leg to complete the tile.This is first on the agenda for 2015, on Dax' 3rd birthday!
* Hit the Western JRTCA trials in CA, AZ, WA and NV. Hopefully also makeTX, and Freedom Rings in CO.
* Get 2 more legs each for our JRTCA Pre-Novice and Novice obedience certificates. Start on JRTCA Rally II certificate. This will be tough since so far we'll only have 2 runs in each, at the TX trial in March.
* Enter an ASCA rally trial. Getting a Q would be a bonus!
* Work on legs for the BHA Senior title.
* Continue trying to find a CGC and an ATTS test - and pass!
* The big one: Dax needs one more quarry for his Bronze Medallion. It would be totally awesome if we could make that happen.

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:12 pm

Let's see...

Goals for 2014

Cousteau
- Make it to a happy, healthy age 15 if that's what is medically best for him.
He made it to 15 1/3.

Havana
- Compete in UFLi Flyball Nationals again
- Add one more facility to our therapy dog visits. The hospital we were visiting was a pilot program and it did not work out as well as we'd hoped. (They made us stay in a conference room and no one knew they could pet Havana. This made Havana very upset.)
- Try to compete in Rally
- See sheep again!
- Do some lure coursing
We went to Nationals again and she kicked butt. It sadly was her last tournament because of her spinal disc issues.
We have background checks completed, but have been unable to do visits because of her injury.
Rally - see the damn injury. :( Although she did do extremely well in a sanctioned match, so she's ready.
No sheep. :(
Tried lure coursing, but she wasn't interested. Although it turns out she had back spasms and came down with a virus the week after, so we'll give it one more try if it's medically allowed.

Pixel
- STOP COUGHING!
- Continue on the Puppy Series of classes we're on. See first goal for him!
- Successfully run one race in flyball.
- Come when called at the dog park!
- Dabble in lure coursing, conformation, and Barn Hunts.
Pixel did finally stop coughing. He completed Puppy 6 or 7 (I can't remember). He has successfully run flyball in warm ups, but his actual runs have been less than impressive so far. He loves lure coursing, tolerates conformation (and has some Best of Breeds and Group placements), and we weren't able to get into the Barn Hunt we were looking at, but we'll still try!

Goals for 2015
Havana
- Rehab exercises to get as much strength as possible into that right rear leg.
- Have regular visits to two facilities to do therapy work.
- Compete in Rally (for realsies!)
- Play around with body awareness exercises and work on her core strength.

Pixel
- Continue to work on being comfortable around a variety of strange dogs and people right away without growling and being a dork first.
- More lure coursing - work toward CA
- Barn Hunts
- Start to compete in UKC conformation
- Be an asset to the flyball team

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:12 pm

Hmmm...apparently I didn't have any goals for 2014 :crazy: . I went back to the previous year and my goals were to take Eddie through the CGN test, which I haven't done - he has become increasingly stressed in strange indoor environments, so it probably isn't even an option any more. My goal for Mitzi, who I anticipated joining my family in 2013 (which she did) was to help her transition comfortably, which she has.

This is the first year in a long, long, time - since at least 2005 - when I have ended the year with the same dogs I started it with (because I adopt elderly dogs, so one or more usually dies before the end of the year, and/or another joins us). It will be a miracle if Shiloh, who will be 17 in May, is still with us at the end of 2015, but then no one expected her to still be here at the end of 2014 (touch wood - the year's not over yet!). My goal for her is to keep her pain free so she can still enjoy her twice-daily walks, and to find a way to get the message "Shiloh, don't chase the cat!" through to her! My goal for myself, in regards to her, is to brush her every other day as she can't stand long enough for the groomer any more, and to try to keep Excitable Eddie from bowling her over quite so often.

Mitzi, who will be 14 in January, has some serious digestive issues - possibly something yucky going on inside (waiting for blood test results as I type...), so my goal for her is simply to find a food she will eat willingly, and to help her become less difficult to give medications to. On the plus side, her personality has really blossomed this year and she spends more time in the living room with the rest of us, barks happy barks more often, chases Eddie and gives him what-for, and does a cutest little mechanical dog dance. So I hope to see her continue those happy behaviours.

Eddie, at 11, is beginning to slow down on our hikes so my goal for him is to do more frequent but shorter and slower hikes. We do work a little on helping him to get over his fears of buildings and bridges, and that will continue. He needs to drop a few pounds again (or still), so I might need to revise his diet a bit.

My goal for me is to brush them all more often, be more patient with them when they are all exhibiting their "let's push mom's buttons" at the same time, and keep them as healthy and safe as I possibly can.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:40 pm

For 2014 I'm setting a goal of learning one new trick reliably a month and to try to do at least 6-8 miles with him a week. Also working on reliable recall off-leash. Nothing too crazy, just trying to keep the old dude kinda spry.
We hit the 6-8 mile mark more often than not so I'm calling that a win. Recall off leash is getting better but not bomb-proof yet. He did learn quite a few new tricks this year including "stretch" (bow), catch in the air, blush (paw at nose), circle around an object and others.

2015- Keep the opportunities to countersurf to a minimum (more my goal than his). Keep his nails trimmed back (me again). More walking on long lines so he can explore more and more tricks to keep his mind sharp are on deck this year. He would like to add more bully sticks to that goal list too.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

Trademarkbark
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Trademarkbark » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:31 am

Yes, once again, it is that time of year!

This is an ODO tradition for me to start a thread where everyone can list their goals for their dogs for the coming year. It can be show/performance, training or health ... anything you plan to achieve with your dogs next year!!

And for those that forgot, here's what we said we'd do in 2014: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30764

Our 2014 Goals:

Spud - next step, Steeples Grand Champion title, and we will dabble in the the AKC conformation ring, as the breed goes into the Miscellaneous group 1/1/14. She's kind of lost interest in Lure Coursing, so it will probably just be racing, focusing on staying in the Top 10 (All Stars) for another year.

OE - still want those USGRCH or UFGRCH titles, so with the up and comers, this should be doable in 2014. OE will also be pursuing her AKC CAA and CAX lure coursing titles, as she is really loving this venue! She will also be putting her paws in the AKC conformation ring, working on getting a CM (Certificate of Merit, the equivalent of CH for Miscellaneous class breeds).

Grytz - hoping for, at a minimum, her beginning Terrier Racing titles (UFR and USR), plus first level lure coursing (CA) if she'll decide it's fun to finish a course instead of just doing half then running back to me all wiggly and proud. :hmm:

What we ended up doing:

Spud - due to a minor lure coursing injury, Spud was pulled from all performance events, just for my peace of mind. She made one trip to the AKC conformation ring and reminded me that she did not like being a show dog, so no more shows for her. She has been doing an awesome job as my Emotional Support Dog and homebound Medical Alert Dog. (She cannot work in a public capacity because she has decided that all strangers should maintain a 6 foot perimeter around me, and is very aggressive about it. :( Alas, she means well ....

OE - We attended the 2014 Patterdale Terrier Club of American Conformation and Performance Challenge Nationals, entered in the "Non-Patterdale" class. OE did a great job, coming home with 2014 National Reserve Racing Champion. We did one AKC show, but lately she gets so excited in the ring that she just flattens her ears and wiggles her butt the whole time. Very happy and cute, but not conducive to winning, so I have retired her as well. We continued in UKC racing and finally in October, OE earned her UFGRCH title!. She is also ranked in the Terrier Racing All Stars in Steeples, so we're happy with that.

Grytz - The little Gumby Puppy has done all that I wanted and sooo much more! She earned her beginning racing titles (UFR and USR) as I had hoped, and is only a few more shows away from the required points for her UFCH and USCH titles as well. She is presently ranked #1 in Terrier Racing All Stars for Steeples and #3 in Flats, although we are waiting for UKC to tabulate the year end scores, so she may have made it to #2 in Flats. Grytz also attended the 2014 Patterdale Terrier Club of American Conformation and Performance Challenge Nationals in the non-Patterdale classes and she came home with a first place in conformation, plus the 2014 National Racing Champion and 2014 National Performance Challenge Champion honors! Then, after that, she was tested and passed her American Temperament Test Society's TT certificate with flying colors. She is only the fourth dog of her breed (with Spud and OE being the first and second) to have this certification. And for conformation, she did a bang up job there too, with several Best of Breed wins in UKC, several Winners Bitch/Best Opposite Sex wins in AKC (earning points towards her CM), and in then November, we were the proud recipients of a UKC Best in Show!!! This little dog can do it all! :thumbup:

So, now let's see what YOU'RE gonna do!!!

Oooo! And a last minute surprise - apparently Grytz DID have enough points after all, and so she now has her USCH (United Steeplechase Racer Champion) title too!! For all the bad that has happened this year, these girls have brought me a lot of GREAT stuff to be thankful for!!
CA UFGRCH USCH GRCH "Spud" TT FDC CA CGC TKN
CAX UFGRCH USCH GRCH "OE" TT CA TKN FDC BCAT CGC
USCH UFCH GRCH GCH "Grytz" TT CGCU TKN FDC
CH "Doozy" FDC CGC TKN

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:00 pm

Well, my 2013 goal for my green, baby dog, was work on her stays in class.

Well, goal was met last Saturday at an ASCA trial that I went to with Sabine and Dax. I entered Georgie in the non-titling class of Sub Novice, just to see how she would do. With a stranger in the ring who wasn't Tawn, her trainer, I was amazed at how well she did. We had a heeling pattern which the judge called out to us. She even did an almost perfect stand for exam. I said almost because I've had a few close calls with her tail so when I walk around her to get in heel position, she moves away from me. Cockers don't have tails so you can see my dilemma.

After we finished, Sabine begged me to move up to Beginner Novice, which is a titling class. In this version, we had a heeling pattern, but signs were put up. Then I had to place her in a sit and walk a T pattern, so I dropped my leash and crossed my fingers. As I was walking away from her I was almost positive she would follow me. As I went to my left and then turned around to go to my right, I was shocked, she hadn't moved. We then had a recall so I unhooked her leash, put her in sit position, went to the end of the ring and prayed. I counted to 5 and she came flying to me in a front position. We then did a sit for exam and again, she was so good but when I walked around her, she stood up. Well, it was an almost perfect run except I missed a sign in the heeling pattern so we NQ'd.

She had done so much better than expected that ending up not passing didn't hurt a bit. It just showed me that she wants to work with me and, maybe next we will Q. My first ever.

So my goal this year is to make a bigger circle when I go around her and she will believe me that I won't touch her tail.

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:06 am

Great job both of you!

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:31 pm

"So my goal this year is to make a bigger circle when I go around her and she will believe me that I won't touch her tail."

lol Well done, both of you!

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:36 pm

I apparently didn't do any last year. Probably because I knew I never follow through. :rolleyes:

Roscoe - keep him around as long as he is happy
Bella - get her more exercise so she can lose 8-10 pounds :eek2:

More lofty goal? NW2 for Bella. It's such a pain to enter a trial that I don't bother, but I really do want to trial again.

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Re: 9th Annual "What Are You Gonna Do With Your Dogs?" thread

Postby QBert » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:15 am

apparently I didn't record any goals last year? Despite that, The Rabbit earned her CGC and RN, and managed once again to keep me functionally sane and productive.

This year Kitty has joined us, and she's busily growing hair (she got shaved down during one of my hospital stays) in preparation for her AKC conformation debut. I'd like to get her into the Rally ring and get her CGC ths year.

The Rabbit will be working on her RA and making her AKC obedience debut most likely on the pre- track. Mama's chicken when it comes to group stays and wee timorous beasties.

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”