Most People Should NEVER Own This Breed

All kinds of dog talk here!
2dogpack
Hopelessly addicted

Most People Should NEVER Own This Breed

Postby 2dogpack » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:25 pm

I've seen statements like these on FB, blogs, training sites, etc. It doesn't matter if it's a Dalmation or a Rottie, an Akita or a Border Collie. Okay, so there are a few exceptions. I don't think I've seen anyone state people should never consider a Golden.

Having a breed and having owned another breed that I wouldn't recommend to any novice, I can understand it to a certain point. But wow! Some people get darn snippy and some sites make it sound like owning a particular breed is like taking your life into your your hands. Anyone ever notice this? It's mostly with large dogs. It makes me think of the old SNL skitch for Happy Fun Ball. :lol:

Has anyone else noticed this? Thoughts? Do you think some people get defensive and don't want others to own Happy Fun Ball because it keeps them in an elite circle? Maybe they had a bad experience? Do they fancy themselves a better owner/trainer? Or are they truly just trying to scare off people who aren't the best suited? In which case, wouldn't that be true for ANY breed? I'm sure there are people out there who aren't qualified or a fit for say, a Pomeranian or that Golden.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Most People Should NEVER Own This Breed

Postby SherriA » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:00 pm

the beagle rescue I volunteer with doesn't say most people should never own a beagle, but they do spell out all the possible pitfalls of owning one really clearly on their website. Our home visit volunteers are coached to bring up all the things that might discourage someone from getting a beagle, and if they're still interested after that, THEN we talk about all the fun it is to have a silly little hound. From the rescue's perspective, we don't want to make a bad (or even an iffy) match, and beagles certainly can be challenging. They're not what anyone would consider "dangerous", but they end up in rescue a lot for a lot of reasons.

so, maybe it's something like that? I've never really encountered it myself, not even working with a pit bull rescue for several years.

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:23 pm

There's another side to the same coin, which I tend to see more often with smaller companion breeds and some of the less common breeds - where "___breed___" is so very very special and so very different from any other dogs, and isn't it amazing! when they do "X" or "Y" and it's so special, it's a breed thing, they all do that (it's almost always something pretty much all dogs do now and then and that lots of dogs do a lot of the time...)

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:44 pm

Everyone wants to have a special snow flake.

KatrinH

Postby KatrinH » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:26 pm

I do hear that, and I have said it.

BUT I experience stupid owners every day. I live in a college town, in one of the few dog friendly apartment complexes: We have a bunch of German Shepherd here and several herding dog mixes and lots of pits or pit mixes, most of which are NOT exercised enough and are not trained well. They would be much better off with a less fun ball bouncy dog.

Anyway, that is not meaning it is true: Afterall I always said I wouldn't have a BC in an apartment and now I do; and I am sure people say I shouldn't have a BC in an apartment, but I think I do a good job in keeping him mentally and physically exercised.

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:01 am

Yes, I think that people do like to be in their own special, exclusive club. But having said that, I'm with Kara in that I think the people who think their breed is for everyone. My friend has Dutch Shepherds, which is *definitely* not a breed for everyone (although I think the right person can own them, obviously), but whatever she naturally does with her dogs results in very well behaved dogs. Her older one is a dog in a million. So people see her amazing work with her Dutchies and she's too modest to say how much effort she's put into having these great dogs, although she does proudly show off battle scars. Literal scars from wayward Dutchie teeth. So whenever I'm out with her and her dogs and people compliment how wonderful they are, I make a point of talking up all of the work she's done and how her dogs were "rejects" in the litter - all the others are in protection training or on police forces. Hopefully they believe me, or if they don't, the breeder is good in redirecting them!

I will admit a nasty little bias I had was shattered this weekend. This woman moved to the area with her malinois. Keep in mind, I was on a waiting list for a mal before I got pregnant, and turning down the puppy was one of the hardest - and smartest - things I've ever done. So this woman signs up for flyball and I'm cringing, dreading this class. We do have 3 Dutchies and a high drive GSD on the team, but a cracked out malinois is in a league of its own! Turns out this woman has put a boat load of work into this dog and he's nicely socialized and beautifully trained. He even has an off switch! So there goes my bias that only people I already know can train malinois. :P

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:04 am

I've sometimes said, "This breed is not for the average dog owner". The average dog owner does not provide the physical or mental stimulation that some breeds seem to need more than others, nor are they committed to the time requirement to train some breeds.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

2dogpack
Hopelessly addicted

Postby 2dogpack » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:18 am

I've come to realize that so many people can't handle ANY dog.

The person across the street has a barrier aggressive dog. She refuses to use the right equipment and the dog constantly breaks away from her. She's sprained her ankle and twisted her back trying to control the dog. When the dog is lunging and barking, she bends OVER it and puts her face next to the dog's face. She brings it out to bark at everyone, thinking THIS is socialization. She won't go to a proper trainer/behaviorist. It's a lab with a LOT of energy, yet no one plays ball with it, much less anything else. So when it drags them down the street, they jerk, yell, scream. How the rescue place allowed them to have the dog, I'll never know.

The couple next door want a dog, yet they are clearly terrified of them. They shift nervously, jerk their hands away when a dog looks up at them, and only want to pat the top of their heads. They haven't a clue as to care and feeding. Stray dog? They run.

Don't have at least a couple hours a day to devote to your dog? Most dog breeds are NOT compatible with your lifestyle.
Can't spay or neuter, provide good veterinarian care? A dog is not for you.
Can afford decent food? A dog is not for you.
Can provide adequate exercise/mental stimulation based on a dog's breed or genetic makeup? No matter how attractive, or what breed, that dog is not for you.
Do you have a lack of patience? No breed is for you.
Have you researched breeds to find out what is best suited to you/your situation, prior dog handling/owning/training experience and activity level? No breed is for you. Not even a mixed.
Want a dog based on looks alone? That breed isn't for you.
Are you prepared for X number of years devoted to caring for your new best friend? No? Maybe? No breed is for you.
Don't like drool, hair, barking, begging? Most dogs are not for you.
Do you have children or other pets? Have you researched breeds or had your rescue friend assessed for your situation? No? A dog is not for you.
Can you provide proper surrounding for your new friend such as crates, yard, fences, beds, inside space, proper bowls, toys, and other equipment? No? Maybe? A dog is not for you.
Think you can change any of this? Get a goldfish.

Trademarkbark
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Trademarkbark » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:40 am

I've done that, but only with people who have set ideas on how they wanted to raise the dog. The lady who wanted to keep her Collie puppy in a pen in the back yard and then graduate to Invisible Fencing - not a candidate for one of my dogs. Someone who envisioned the dog that sleeps all night by the fireplace, that you have to step over to get somewhere - not a candidate for one of my dogs. I wasn't an elitist, but there are some situation where a Collie just doesn't fit. Don't like barking as part of communication, nope nope nope.
CA UFGRCH USCH GRCH "Spud" TT FDC CA CGC TKN
CAX UFGRCH USCH GRCH "OE" TT CA TKN FDC BCAT CGC
USCH UFCH GRCH GCH "Grytz" TT CGCU TKN FDC
CH "Doozy" FDC CGC TKN

2dogpack
Hopelessly addicted

Postby 2dogpack » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:50 pm

Ah yes! The backyard dog. Grrrr!
And the there's the home accessory dog. Grrr!

I wouldn't let them have a pup either!

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”