The woes of intact girls ....

All kinds of dog talk here!
Trademarkbark
No, I don't have a life!

The woes of intact girls ....

Postby Trademarkbark » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:22 am

and it's not what you think! Here's my little rant ....

For the past 10 years, I've only have girls who cycled once a year, and it was awesome. Then along came Grytz, who cycles every 7 months, which is a nail biter come racing season. (Can't race when in heat; conformation isn't an issue, but that's not our prime concern). Then there's the fact that Grytz (and OE again) will be eligible for the UKC Premier All Stars Invitational in 2015 for terrier racing and I might actually be able to make the trip for the first time since Spud and OE started racing and making All Stars in 2011. I have already put in for my vacation (June 2015!) and started a "Premier Fund"....

So, here's the problem. Grytz was a little "off" schedule this past heat, so her next heat is probably now due right around the time of Premier. And now the even better part: OE, who just turned 5 yrs old, has always cycled once a year ... UNTIL NOW! She just came in heat again Saturday, this time 7 months after her last one instead of her yearly schedule. She is now a month behind Grytz and is also probably in jeopardy of being in heat during Premier. That little Grytz has some strooooong hormones!! :banghead:

I know there are medications to stop the heat cycle, but I do not feel safe with them and will not endanger the girls' health because I want to attend a HUGE event. :disturbed: So I could use some ongoing vibes if you guys can spare it! :saint:
CA UFGRCH USCH GRCH "Spud" TT FDC CA CGC TKN
CAX UFGRCH USCH GRCH "OE" TT CA TKN FDC BCAT CGC
USCH UFCH GRCH GCH "Grytz" TT CGCU TKN FDC
CH "Doozy" FDC CGC TKN

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: The woes of intact girls ....

Postby Calypso » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:37 am

Oh man! Vibes from here! If you make it to Michigan I'll meet you there, so girls' hormones, behave!

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:09 am

I'd have loved to have a female with heat cycles of only once per year. Over the years, I've never had a female that didn't cycle like clockwork every 6 months.
Sorry if this ruins your competition plans.

Trademarkbark
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Trademarkbark » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:02 am

I'd have loved to have a female with heat cycles of only once per year. Over the years, I've never had a female that didn't cycle like clockwork every 6 months.
Sorry if this ruins your competition plans.
Our old bloodline of Collies were consistently waiting 8,9,10 months or longer, some even 14 months in between. Awesome when showing, but it really sucked when you were wanting to plan a breeding! lol But Smidgen was always 11 months, Dora/Figment(Gidget) are 12 months, Spud runs 12-14 months and OE has always been right at 12 months ... until now. Hoping it's just a freak thing from all of the moving, the new male dog in the house, etc. and she'll revert back, but I know I can't be that lucky!!
CH "Doozy" FDC CGC TKN

Trademarkbark
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Trademarkbark » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:04 am

Oh man! Vibes from here! If you make it to Michigan I'll meet you there, so girls' hormones, behave!
That would be awesome! I've been wanting to do this for so many years and Victor is all for us going, taking all the girls and driving straight through until we get there! He's such a good sport and really supports my dog stuff. :thumbup:
CH "Doozy" FDC CGC TKN

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:09 am

Victor is just awesome. But you know that. :)

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:21 pm

Ack. I hope it works out.

How likely is it that the rest of the girls come into heat if you "borrowed" an intact girl from someone who happens to be in heat at a convenient time?

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:36 pm

How likely is it that the rest of the girls come into heat if you "borrowed" an intact girl from someone who happens to be in heat at a convenient time?
I was thinking this same thing, to force them into their next heat cycle a little earlier and be done with it. Or would this mess with the racing schedule that they might not qualify for the invitational?

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:47 pm

Hmm there's nothing safe that can delay it? That sucks. I've delayed my own "season" for vacations the odd time just using BCPs. Fingers crossed for coming in way early or way late.
Tricky has been about every 7 months except for this last one that I felt like had some kind of weird false start. No more girls for me--it's a PIA.

Trademarkbark
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Trademarkbark » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:03 am

It's a theory, but I've never had much luck with it working in my favor. :( Actually Grtyz has been around a bunch of in heat girls, but still came in late. But yet OE is apparently more sensitive to hormones, and starts a totally new cycle! I don't know what to expect next time. :fie:
CH "Doozy" FDC CGC TKN

Trademarkbark
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Trademarkbark » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:03 am

Hmm there's nothing safe that can delay it? That sucks. I've delayed my own "season" for vacations the odd time just using BCPs. Fingers crossed for coming in way early or way late.
Tricky has been about every 7 months except for this last one that I felt like had some kind of weird false start. No more girls for me--it's a PIA.
Show people have used Cheque drops (or equivalent hormonal drugs) but there are too many possibly adverse side effects and I don't want to mess them up.
CH "Doozy" FDC CGC TKN

Trademarkbark
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Trademarkbark » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:05 am

Show people have used Cheque drops (or equivalent hormonal drugs) but there are too many possibly adverse side effects and I don't want to mess them up.
Heather, here's the drug of choice and concern ...

Indication for Use
Prevention of estrus, infertility, false pregnancy

General Information
FDA approved for use in dogs for estrus suppression. Mibolerone is an androgenic steroid which opposes the effects of estrogen and other hormones which cause ovulation and subsequent production of progesterone. Need to start the medication at least 30 days before proestrus to prevent the female from coming into heat. It is about 90% effective. Do not use in dogs which are to be bred in the future, as start of the next cycle may vary from 7-200 days from discontinuation of Cheque Drops. It has been used to lengthen short cycles which cause infertility and to treat false pregnancies. The false pregnancy may recur when the medication is discontinued. Because of this and the fact that most false pregnancies resolve on their own, no treatment is usually given. The most effective way to prevent these problems in dogs who are not showing in the breed ring and are not going to be used for breeding is by an ovariohysterectomy (spay).

Side Effects
May see increase in clitoral size which may resolve after treatment is discontinued, vaginal discharge, mounting other dogs, aggression, change in voice, increase in oily skin and body odor, reproductive tract lesions, tearing, or urinary incontinence. May also cause liver disease or death especially in cats.

Contraindications/Warnings
Do not use in Bedlington Terriers or other breeds predisposed to kidney or liver disease.

Do not use in patients with liver or kidney disease.

Do not use in patients with androgen-dependent cancers such as perianal adenocarcinomas (malignant tumors that occur near the anus).

Do not use before the first estrus cycle, in pregnant or nursing dogs, or for more than 24 months.
CH "Doozy" FDC CGC TKN

Trademarkbark
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Trademarkbark » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:07 am

Victor is just awesome. But you know that. :)
He loves the fact that the girls win things. And if we don't win, he's a "oh, you'll get 'em next time" type of guy :thumbup: instead of one that tells me what I did wrong when he has absolutely NO IDEA what he's talking about :thumbdown: (that would be referencing some prior BFs) ...
CH "Doozy" FDC CGC TKN

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”