It's been bugging me

All kinds of dog talk here!
maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

It's been bugging me

Postby maxs_mommy » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:46 pm

Max went to get adjusted last week and the (new) vet said something to the effect of "Funny, he's got a bit of a rep for being hard to handle at the vet's but he's fine for me." I pointed out he was fond of his last vet because she passed out chicken and he's no fool but he didn't like Dr. Brewer, (the old chiro).

The vet just kind of shrugged it off and the convo moved on. But...it's been bugging me. Ya'll know I can worry something to death but now I'm curious since I've never heard anything but good reports for things like blood draws or bigger and he's never protested procedures when I'm in the room except nail trims. Should I press the issue? I feel like if I knew I could CC him for things but...obviously it's not been a big enough deal to point out before now. I'm sure the new vet got the old vet's notes which is more than I got in the official records and that's fine, I just worry what's in his "permanent file". Am I just creating more problems or should I bring it up again when we have to go in next, which should be several months from now for an adjustment?
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

KatrinH

Re: It's been bugging me

Postby KatrinH » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:58 pm

Mhm that's difficult. I honestly don't know. I have the perfect dog at the vet. When we were in last week they said Ranger is the model patient, whether I am around or not...

But if this wouldn't be the case, I would potentially ask, if you see a way you would work on this. Maybe you can just ask about it when you set up the next appointment? That way you can work on it before going in. That is if you are really worried about it. If you are only somewhat worried I would potentially wait and just ask when you are there next. I guess I would just do what feels right to you. I am sure vets have to deal with unruly dogs all the time whose owners are not concerned about that at all, so I am sure whenever you bring it up (if it is really a problem in the vets eyes) they will appreciate your effort.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:05 am

I guess what would bug me is -- why on earth would the vet even make that comment?

If he's saying it to slam the other vet, that's pretty unprofessional even if it's true.

If he's saying it to pat himself on the back, that's pretty pathetic, really.

In any case, I'd let it go, because this IMHO can be a sign of a passive-aggressive snark in development (by the vet, not by you), and I want none of that, thanks. :thumbdown: You don't have anything but this one random comment to base your concern on, and people say all kinds of stupid stuff that isn't backed up with facts or anything real.

One thing you might want to keep in mind as perspective: there are LOTS of vets out there; you are an EXCELLENT client and your dog is not a problem patient; if some fool has put a black mark in Max's file, rather than try to erase it, you'd be better off looking at moving to a vet who's not such a dork. :tongue: Now, this is all speculative, since we don't know that any such thing has happened -- but I sure don't need my vet's approval of my dogs, my vet needs MY approval of HIM. And that's just a fact. :grin:

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:43 am

All good points. I don't think I'll bring it up again unless she does. I think the comment was more off-hand than malicious and I don't know which old vet made that statement so it could have been his normal old vet or, more likely, Nurse Ratchet the old chiro. The other comment we get is "You're pretty nice...for a cocker." WTF? That one has happened more often than I can count so I assume he's not all bad. :grin:
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:11 pm

Ah yes, people and their breed stereotypes. :rolleyes: I've had my fill of the comment, "But I thought Shelties were hyper and skittish!"

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:34 pm

Sounds to me like it was a remark that was made in the file by the previous chiro, and the vet was just thinking out loud without a filter. I just remember the issues with the old chiro, and who knows what type of notes a vet like that would have written in the file.
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:26 pm

Just chiming in to say that a dumb comment like that would bug me, too, and that I love Connie. HAHAHA!

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”