What dog services does your community lack?

All kinds of dog talk here!
Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

What dog services does your community lack?

Postby Calypso » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:04 pm

So I'm trying to think what dog-related business has a chance of not flushing mass quantities of money down the toilet. I started thinking about a pet boutique, but we have a couple of nice independent ones in town. We've got lots of groomers, I'm not willing to do overnight pet stays (although I'd probably make enough to support myself, I'd just never see my family), not willing to do what it takes to do doggie daycare the way I think it needs to be done (and there's lots of competition). Toying with the idea of a subscription/membership dog park, either indoors or out, complete with a secured area that could be reserved for small known packs or aggressive dogs to have some private, off leash time, and an area that could be rented out for competitions. (Need to buy a lottery ticket...)

Any other ideas for something you wish you had or something you've got that you love? My other thought was to research how to do a coffee shop where you could actually bring your dog indoors to sit with you. Maybe have something like a bank drive up to place your order and get food without the dreaded dog hair ever getting near the kitchen.

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: What dog services does your community lack?

Postby Moemer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:24 pm

If you come up with something, please let me know! O.O
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:04 pm

So this happened near my work. May be a possibility but a friend who used it says it's really loud inside. It would be low maintenance and you could do different shampoos and have a dryer.
Attachments
petwash.jpg
petwash.jpg (56.77 KiB) Viewed 1616 times
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:07 pm

My other thought (I just had) would be a coordinator of a network of in-home dog sitters/walkers. Right now here it's kinda hit or miss but I'd imagine there would be a good amount of college students or seniors needing a dog/pet fix and the cash who could be regular walkers or house-sitters but need vetting and coordination.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:22 am

I can't think of anything I've looked for in my town and can't find, but I can tell you that I use the dog wash and really like it! So much easier than using the bath tub, and so much less clean up too. My dog wash provides a variety of EarthBath products (I think they have other choices as well) so I don't even feel like I have to bring my own shampoo and conditioner. It's really convenient and they're usually pretty busy. I think they do well with it, and it's one of three in the area.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:48 pm

We have a lack of good R+ trainers. We have a few who are really not so good, and a whole lot of shock collar & prong/choke chain people.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:04 am

There is a doggy wash "U-Bath" in the town near us - while I don't use it as my guys all go to groomers, I know a ton of people who do - friends I hike with take their muddy big dogs in there after a hike and take home a clean dog. It opened just a year or two ago, and seems to be doing well. They do offer other services, but the only service my friends use is the u-bath. They have strategically placed themselves near a very busy vet clinic, and have done a good job of marketing themselves too. Here's a link to their website so you can get a better idea of what they offer: http://www.luckydogubath.ca/
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:36 pm

We had a pet store open up a couple of miles from us, and they have a DIY dog wash station. Even my uberfrugal DH loves it. We haven't washed the dogs at home in six months. It's $15 a wash, and they supply shampoo, various cleaning things like ear wash and eye wipes, towels, and sanitized brushes and nail clippers if you want them. They also have a blow dryer that even Bella tolerates. Of course, my favorite part is that they do 100% of the clean up! no matter how big a mess we make and we can make a mess. :o

I'd pay a fee for a private dog park too.

Oh, and trainers with their own facilities. I miss GTPT and the culture of the place. Most trainers I know of move from spot to spot by class or even from week to week! It's hard to feel connected, I think. I do sort of like it for nosework, but I'd like a home base too.

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”