Sheltie rescue takes in a Lappy, with help from Amanda.

All kinds of dog talk here!
connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Sheltie rescue takes in a Lappy, with help from Amanda.

Postby connie » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:42 am

For those who haven't seen this on Facebook:

Last weekend, someone posted a photo to a Finnish Lapphund page on FB, of what appears to be a young Lappy, in a shelter. He was in a high-kill shelter in SoCal and was tagged as a Sheltie, and available to rescue only. He had been in there for more than a week, and it was surprising he was still alive. :(

There is no Lapphund Rescue as such in the US; there is a 'support' group called Lappy Ever After, but there is no network of rescues, foster homes, adoption processes, home visits, etc. So I had no idea what would become of this Lappy boy, and it bothered me. I posted to the page that my Sheltie rescue will take him if he can get to Illinois -- thinking, I confess, 'oh, it'll never happen.' I should have learned from my same postings about Banjo and Charlie Bear, both of whom showed up at my door!

I then mentioned to my Sheltie rescue director that I had made this offer. She was unfazed. "Okay, it's up to you, you're the rescue, too," she said. :thumbup: Meanwhile, no other offers are coming for this boy, lots of sharing and some snarking about who is blocked from a FB page and the usual social media BS. So Lappy Ever After (LEA) says okay! He's going to Illinois! and they start an online fundraising site. LEA is headed by a Lappy breeder who is a close friend of the breeder of my Alex, so I am known to her that way.

We get someone who does Pomeranian rescue to go and pull Lappy Boy, on CISR's paperwork. He gets taken to a vet clinic for neutering, and he's diagnosed with kennel cough, mild, but it prevents him getting a health clearance to fly. (He's going to be shipped by air from SoCal to Chicago, where I will collect him and transport him to CISR director's place.) Now we're freaking out, where can we put this dog who has KC so he can be treated and get ready to fly? Vet clinics won't board him, we don't have anyone on the ground out there -- I am in Chicago, the LEA person is in Tennessee!

Well, enter Amanda! (We need a fanfare here, some trumpets and drums!) Amanda is quite near this guy, and she says he can come stay with her until he's cleared to go on a plane. Boy, the sigh of relief from Chicago and Tennessee probably caused an atmospheric disturbance!

So Lappy Boy, who is now Henry (named by Lainey), is enjoying the hospitality of Amanda's family, and when I say 'enjoying', I mean he's bothering Landis and charming the family, pretty typical for a teenaged boy Lapphund (-- I have one in my own house, remember). And he is now cleared to be transported by plane, so we are waiting for cooler temps in his area before we get him on a plane to Chicago. Once in Chicago, he will become a CISR dog and will be available for adoption through CISR! (No, I am not keeping him. I do not want him -- ref my own teenaged Lapphund boy, TYVM.)

I have met some truly wonderful people on this board over the years. It's a great community, and as differing as many views are on lots of things, the care for dogs that ODO people have is unsurpassed. THANK YOU, AMANDA and family; thank you Sabine for the suggestion of a vet clinic; thank you everyone who donated to Henry's cause on my FB page; this is one dog whose life has not only been saved, but has improved beyond measure. :love: :love:

Pics: Henry in the MoValley shelter; Henry with Amanda. Looks better already!!

Oh, and I am certain this is entirely a Lapphund. That's a whole other post. Spots on the tongue have been found in many Lapphunds, even those of impeccable breeding (which Henry is not). He's Lappy. :thumbup:
Attachments
amanda and lappy.jpg
amanda and lappy.jpg (112.8 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
rescue lappy movalley.jpg
rescue lappy movalley.jpg (8.78 KiB) Viewed 1900 times

EllaBella
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Sheltie rescue takes in a Lappy, with help from Amanda.

Postby EllaBella » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:09 am

This whole story is awesome :-)

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:58 am

Everything about this makes my heart happy :love:

It takes a village, right? Amanda, you're amazing! And so are you Connie, for coordinating this so Henry can live the good life!

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:23 pm

I'm so glad this worked out. :)

If it weren't for my 16 1/2 year old cat without a functioning immune system, I would have offered to help, as I'm only 2 miles north of LAX.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:45 pm

Yay for Henry! It's awesome that the village was able to come together for this guy. WTG! :thumbup:
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:02 pm

Yay for Henry! Way to go, Team ODO! You rock, Amanda and Connie. :)

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:44 pm

Amazing!

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:16 pm

He is seriously one of the easiest dogs I've ever had in my house. No accidents, no chewing, friendly with everyone, enjoys the kids, follows the no dogs allowed area rule without even needing to be told. He snuggles when he can, but he lays quietly nearby when he can't be snuggling. He crates well. Just a little protest whining that subsides quickly. No barking. He's truly a pleasure. If he didn't have so much dang hair he might have been able to stay! And he only has about half the coat he should have. I honestly think he will like Chicago weather better. It's hot here for him. I think he will like snow when his coat all comes back in. He will get groomed on Monday. I hope they can get the mats out without having to shave him. He has some ear dreads and some thick mats under his throat. He will feel better with that all out, but I wanted to let him chill out before throwing another stressor at him.

I don't feel like I did much. I know it was a big deal to not have to board him for 10 days, but bringing him here has really been no skin off my nose. Just glad to be a landing pad for him. Another hero in his story is my vet. He only charged $10 for his checkup, worming, and a health cert. What a guy. Seriously so glad I found him. :)

It really is neat to see how the connections we've made here and extending to Facebook have literally saved lives. I :love: ODO.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:52 am

Wonderful post - what a great outcome, great networking - thanks Connie and Amanda!
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:05 am

wow, you vet is a hero too, Amanda! What a find he is. :)

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:19 pm

Such a wonderful story! Yay for humans being awesome to help a dog in need. :)

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”