No, I don't have a life!

rhodesian ridgebacks?

Postby UpwardDog » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:12 pm

like em? not like em? discuss.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Re: rhodesian ridgebacks?

Postby emmas_mom » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:28 pm

I have met several, and had many long chats with a rhod ridge owner and former breeder/competitor I know. With good breeding, the right early socialization, and the right home they are great dogs. With bad breeding, a lack of early socialization, and an inexperienced owner (or an owner who thinks 'a dog is a dog is a dog') they can be a disaster - unpredictable with both people and other animals. They are a high energy dog, but when well exercised and well trained, are couch potatoes indoors. They can be destructive when young/adolescents, perhaps more so than many other breeds of the same size - they love to seek and destroy. :) At least, that is how my friend described it. High prey drive, VERY independent (teaching reliable recall is a challenge, especially when they are focused on a moving target like a squirrel, a cat or a car). Definitely a people dog - ie, need to be considered part of the family - despite their independence - sort of like a strong-willed child. On the plus side, her stories of his antics make me laugh out loud. Think Cousteau in a slightly different body. Of course, that is just my friend's dog. :)
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:30 pm

Love 'em. They can be a lot of dog but well bred, well managed ones are marvelous.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:44 pm

Hmm, the ones I've seen appeared to be far from high energy, but I have only known a grand total of 3 and only observed them while out at the park.

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:48 pm

the RRs I've had a chance to really hang out with (vs just seeing them at a show or crossing paths briefly) were all very intense when fired up but with a very effective off switch. I've talked (or interacted online) with a few people who were having problems with their RR being hyper inappropriate destructive whatever - almost without exception the dogs were ill-bred adolescents, fed high-end kibble and plenty of it, but with little opportunity to exercise mind or body.

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:42 pm

I've only met one RR that I'd be happy to never see again, but I blame the owners (who should know better for many reasons!) more than him. Otherwise the ones I've seen have been in the breed ring, obedience, or agility and have been lovely, but have had experienced owners. Other than brief contact in passing, I don't have much personal experience with them. Other than the time Cousteau decided as an adolescent he was going to alternate between humping a pit bull and a ridgie. The owners pointed out that one was bred to take down boars and bears, the other lions, yet neither one pinned Cousteau and made him pee himself like he deserved.

Riddick

Postby Riddick » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:44 pm

I've met several both in passing and a little more interaction at the dog park. All have been friendly, even tempered, and well mannered. But fat, all of them. So fat, I have never seen a nice, in shape rhod.
~Lyssa~
Apollo, Orion & Remus...and the kitties, Flower and Jasper!!

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:16 am

090 - Copy.JPG
090 - Copy.JPG (133.82 KiB) Viewed 2660 times
083 - Copy.JPG
083 - Copy.JPG (137.36 KiB) Viewed 2660 times

I used to groom this fellow and thoroughly adored him. Contributes nothing of substance to the discussion but I don't really care, I miss seeing the big lug (and neither he or the female the lady had were fat!)

Riddick

Postby Riddick » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:22 am

It's probably just my area...unfortunately a large majority of dogs in my suburb are overweight or obese...it's sad, but it just seems like a common trend in my area :(
~Lyssa~
Apollo, Orion & Remus...and the kitties, Flower and Jasper!!

Trademarkbark
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Trademarkbark » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:31 am

Love 'em. They can be a lot of dog but well bred, well managed ones are marvelous.

The ones I run into at the shows and lure coursing are lovely. I have a few acquaintances who breed them and I love their dogs ....
CA UFGRCH USCH GRCH "Spud" TT FDC CA CGC TKN
CAX UFGRCH USCH GRCH "OE" TT CA TKN FDC BCAT CGC
USCH UFCH GRCH GCH "Grytz" TT CGCU TKN FDC
CH "Doozy" FDC CGC TKN

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:28 am

They have a special place in my heart because they kinda look like very large MPs, although when I really do see them, they don't look THAT much alike.

Claire
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Claire » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:58 am

My nephew and his wife just got one from a breeder in northern CA who supposedly breeds for temperament suitable for family dog. Time will tell. I've only seen photos on FB, but apparently they gotten together in S.F. at a beach with owners and at least a couple of siblings. I strongly advised early training classes, which supposedly they are doing.
So far all the photos and stories are of fun stuff, not destruction like *I* post from my Weims. LOL

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”