Ronan turns 8. Tasha still here at 15 3/4

All kinds of dog talk here!
2dogpack
Hopelessly addicted

Ronan turns 8. Tasha still here at 15 3/4

Postby 2dogpack » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:22 pm

Sorry I'm not here a lot. Still think of you guys often. I pop in once i a while and comment, but life's just been hectic.

Ronan, aka The Ronanator, Beelzepup, turns 8 on Sept 23rd. Hard to believe it's been that long. He's calmer, albeit barely. LOL!

Tasha is fading. I honestly didn't think she'd be here come late spring, but it's hard to get an Akita to quit anything, including life. She still wears a happy face, still begs for chicken, and wants to go for a short mosey (it's not really a walk). We rarely walk more than 3-4 houses down and back, maybe 4 times a day. She's so thin - it's hard to keep weight on her. She sleeps a lot. Sometimes, so deeply that I have to check. She's 15 and 3/4 years old! That's something for an Akita. She's still the best dog.

Ronan is a bit weird with all this - acting more fearful at times. We've gone back to his favorite game of Find. He's so good at it now that I'm considering how to get him used to a kennel so we can go to Nosework classes. His dog aggression is worse, sadly. No idea where I went wrong there as every dog I've ever had has been great with other dogs. But, he's doing well and is still my adorable, zany, high-energy snuggle boy.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Ronan turns 8. Tasha still here at 15 3/4

Postby SherriA » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:06 pm

Eight? No way! I can't believe Ronan is going to be eight. Happy birthday dude!

I'm glad Tasha is still enjoying life, even if her world is shrinking a little. What an amazing girl and tribute to your great care that she's still making you smile at almost 16 yrs old!

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:24 pm

Wow, time flies! Nice to see you here :)

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:18 am

No way Ronan is 8! :fie:

Great to hear from you, and big hugs to Tasha. I have a Sheltie here who is closing in on her 17th birthday, and she too is getting thinner and thinner, it's like she's fading away, but her spirit is still very strong. An Akita almost 16 is wonderful! :thumbup:

2dogpack
Hopelessly addicted

Postby 2dogpack » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:15 am

It's like we wake up one day, look at our dogs and wonder where that puppy or young dog went. It's hard to believe.

This morning, Tasha goes out to potty. Ronan instantly jumps up in bed and takes my spot - pillow and all. He hasn't changed much. In about half an hour, he'll come wandering out, yawning loudly and stretching, letting everyone know he's ready for us to stop what we're doing and take him outside and fuss over him. At 10, he'll be bouncing off the walls, ready to do something - anything. Play, go for a ride, walk, or an hour's worth of Find if you let him. At 11, he wants his nap. We take him places and people want to know how we got a license for a red wolf, coyote, or wolf hybrid. Others insist he's part husky. Lots of people want a Shikoku, but unless they have experience with a high energy dog and a Spitz breed, I tell them they should probably pass. LOL! He's a lot of stubborn mischief in an often over caffeinated 40 pound package. :sgrin: I love him to pieces - he's a lot of fun.

Tasha is more quiet. Subdued. We don't take her places anymore because she gets carsick and her balance is horrible. Cars are just too much. But everyone marveled at how good, quiet, and sweet she was. Then they promptly ask if she's a snow dog. ??? Then, when we tell them she's an Akita, they back away like she has Ebola. :stupid: She's going to have to go down as the most well behaved, gentle, willing, easy-going dog I have ever had the pleasure of having in my life.

Connie - 17? WOW! I think some dogs' spirits are more determined than their bodies.
Attachments
IMG_0351-1.jpg
Clearly, the Tempurpedic dog bed wasn't enough.
IMG_0351-1.jpg (149.79 KiB) Viewed 1814 times

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:13 am

I can't believe that Ronan is 8! That's crazy!!!!!

I very much understand how hard it is to watch a dog fade. I'm not sure if it is easier or harder than when they have an acute illness. I'm glad she's still there for Ronan and that you can cuddle and kiss her - as much as she'll allow! As far as adjusting, I hope that Ronan surprises you yet again with how well he handles it. I know I expected Pixel to be a bit more confused, but he hasn't been.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:11 am

Loved reading your update on T + R! :) Happy to hear everyone is doing well.

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”