What's your favourite collar? Leash?

All kinds of dog talk here!
SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

What's your favourite collar? Leash?

Postby SherriA » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:42 pm

I know we've talked about harnesses lately (and I'll be referring to that discussion soon), but I'm in the market for a collar. So, where is your favourite place to get collars? I'll be in the market for a new leash as well, so suggestions for those are also appreciated. I love the idea of them matching, but it certainly isn't required.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: What's your favourite collar? Leash?

Postby maxs_mommy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:11 pm

I love the collars from Sirius Republic (http://www.siriusrepublic.com) or K9 Closet (http://www.k9closet.com) for stylish collars in several styles.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:19 pm

powleash.JPG
powleash.JPG (82.07 KiB) Viewed 3991 times
My favorite collars are from 2 Hounds Designs. I like the philosophy of the company, I like that it's owned by a woman, and I like the looks and the durability of the collars and leashes! (I still think Rowley's collar is awesome. ;) The pattern on this leash is his collar pattern. I might need that leash, come to think of it ...)

http://www.2houndsdesign.com/About-Us.html

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:51 pm

Yay dog shopping, my favourite!

I like the satiny feel, non-fur adhering of tubular nylon collars. I like Canine equipment for my bigger dogs because they come in 1" wide and are Canadian made, locally available.. Mes Amis makes nice tubular nylon collars and has more colours, but only come in a narrower width. I don't buy fancy/pretty collars since they don't show on my hairy beasts.

I'm a leather lead girl. I find nylon really hard to hold/grip well. They slide through my fingers too easily. My favourite seller is On Lead. Her leads are good quality, incredibly well priced, she ships fast and she makes them to your instructions. I usually buy her "burgundy" latigo--it's more of a bridle leather brown. For smaller dogs or dogs who don't pull I like 3/8" . For foster dogs / dog who pull I like 1/2". I like 7" or more--she'll let me know when i order how long she can do.

I have wanted to buy a gripper leash to try for big/strong/pully fosters/clients. Rubber covered reins were really helpful back when I was riding. http://www.gripleash.com

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:11 am

I love ifitbarks.com! MP's worn their collars for quite some time now. The lovely owner gave my blog readers a nice coupon a while back (FREEshipMaisy) that I think would still work. I don't have them, but they make matching leads, too.

My favorite leash in the whole wide world forever is Halti's double-ended leash. Super soft, light, double-ende, and durable.
http://www.amazon.com/Company-Animals-H ... 004JZGOGQ/

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:59 pm

This is my favorite leash: http://store.guidedogs.com/index.php?ma ... ucts_id=12

Similar to the halti one above, versatile, comfy on my hands, lasts forever. I've had mine for over 10 years and it still looks great. Better than new actually because it's broken in and soft. :)

I've usually liked Silverfoot's collars, but they have a limited selection right now. They are really nice though and also last forever. Landis needs a new one. I will be perusing your suggestions too. :)

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:42 pm

This is a really nice leather leash: http://www.allk-9.com/super-soft-premiu ... p-829.html , but it's thick. I have the 3/8" inch, and it's probably nearly 2/8" thick (they are probably all that thick). I don't need that strength for an 18 lb dog, but I would have been comfortable using this for the GSD. I do use it almost daily as her "daycare" leash that I keep in the car, since there is usually pulling when she is coming and going. I have always used thin leather leads made by someone that supplies our trainer, and those are what I use when we are training.

I also regularly use the long line biothane leads there - I have the 10' and 15' , 3/8" leads and nowadays use those the most for Jazz, except when we're training. They do have them in many lengths and are great in weather, dragging on the ground, etc. http://www.allk-9.com/leashes-amp-tabs- ... 22_24.html

I try to not have a collar on jazz much, people are annoying and seem to always try to grab it???? What's up with that? I did have one of these "Very Narrow Fine Round Collars" made for her to carry her tags: http://www.schaafleatherwork.com/pages/dog/collar2.html She is an odd size for regular collars, they usually don't fit her quite right since she's right at the edge of the sizing.
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:56 am

I'm having much too much fun shopping for Henry while I want for his arrival date!

I ordered a Hope for Hounds collar from 2HoundsDesigns and the customer service was excellent! Henry is right on the cusp between their sizes, so I emailed them to ask what I should order. They got back to me on a holiday weekend and offered to make it a custom size just for him and didn't even charge me extra. I was very impressed and can't wait to see the collar, plus I love that they donate to canine cancer research for every one of these special collars purchased.

I also ordered one from ifitbarks because I remember how much I always loved MP's collars. The shipping code didn't work, but shipping was only $2.50 (?!?!?!?!). I don't know how they can even pay for packaging material for that price!

I've always liked the idea of a leather lead and couldn't believe how inexpensive they were on the recommended sites (about 1/3 of what they charge at PetCo!) I figure it's worth trying it out and if I don't like it, it wasn't a very big investment.

He's going to be one stylin' little hound dog!

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:46 am

Mike had a Hope For Hounds collar, it was retired when he passed away and it's in his memorial box now. :love: Yes, I have always had very good experiences with 2 Hounds Designs. And Rowley has an If It Barks collar that he wears when he's 'dressed up.' LOL!

Can't wait to see Henry's new gear -- and Henry!

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:43 pm

Sounds like you are having a blast getting ready for the new arrival - add me to the list of "can't wait to see"....
Max-n-Indy

KatrinH

Postby KatrinH » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:56 pm

http://www.amazon.com/EzyDog-Double-Col ... +up+collar

I have this collar and I love it. It is very sturdy and I like having the double rings. Most importantly, it has a seperate click on area for his tag as I absolutely HATE the clicking sound it makes against other metal areas. I also only leave one tag on him for that reason :lol:

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:48 pm

Oh no, I didn't see your post about the coupon not working—so sorry!! :( But, I'm happy to hear you like them and got one for Henry, too! :love: Can't wait to see!!!

2dogpack
Hopelessly addicted

Postby 2dogpack » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:09 pm

Ronan does best with a step-in harness. I got one from Lupine that looks like a paw print over crossbones. Perfect for the little Beelzepup.
Tasha has never pulled and does well with a Martingale or regular buckle.

Sweetgrass Farm

Postby Sweetgrass Farm » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:48 pm

My favorite lead is the one I use when I go hunting. It's got a metal cable covered with rubber, so the terriers (in their excitement), can't chew through it. It can wrap around a tree and snap closed, and it has swivels that won't cause the lead to twist. If another terrier is in the hole, you can also stake them out AND, because it's bright orange, there's less chance of losing it in the underbrush. :thumbup:
Attachments
hunting lead orange.jpg
hunting lead orange.jpg (30.33 KiB) Viewed 3766 times

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:41 am

Circling back....

I absolutely LOVE the ComfortFlex harness Connie recommended. How did I never know about this harness before? It's fabulous! My dog walker promptly ordered them for her two dogs after the first time she used it with Henry too.

Love the 2Hounds Designs "Hope for Hounds" collar! Still waiting on my modified one from If It Barks, but I can say that the original was really well made as well. I also ordered a Beagle Freedom Collar from Aroo Studios because I think the Beagle Freedom Project does great work (20% goes directly to BFP). Still waiting on that one as well.

I ordered leashes from allk-9.com at Lisa's recommendation and I really love the biothane one. It's wonderfully light but still feels sturdy. And we've already had it dragged through muddy puddles, etc with no ill effects. I also got a soft leather leash from them, and wow, Lisa was right when she said it's thick! That makes it a little heavier than I expected, but it's still quite usable and I love that it's already soft and not stiff like some latigo can be. I think it may be my go to leash for winter, because leather doesn't feel as cold to me.

Henry is one stylin' hound already! I need to get some pics of him modeling his new gear. :) Thanks everyone for all the recommendations!

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:04 am

Yes you do need to get pictures of him modeling! :)

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:34 pm

I used the excuse that Elsie's collar got skunked, so I I just HAAAAD to buy a new collar for her, but if I did that then I'd have to buy a new collar for Arlo.... AAAAAAND, since I retail the freedom harness, I should probably "test out" their collars so I can expand my retail selection next year - not many places sell cloth martingales around here, donchooknow. Plus, I get them at wholesale from 2Hounds, so it only makes sense to get them for my own dogs. and, you know, the testing thing.

So I've been waiting a week for delivery and I'm IIIIIIIIIIIIIIMPATIENT!!!!!!!
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:06 pm

Sounds like Henry is super style - what fun to have such neat new stuff!
Max-n-Indy

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”