Pi's sister

All kinds of dog talk here!
whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Pi's sister

Postby whiteboxerboy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:14 pm

so Lori wants to know if i'd take Pi's sister until she's 6 months old. she's going to be a show dog, Lori just wants someone really good to raise her / somewhere really good for her to go.

so, dog nerds, what are the pros & cons to this? all i can really think about right now is how it will change Gringo & Pi's relationship now and in the long run. i suppose that will depend on how i handle things, at least that's what E said. i think for right now it might be nice b/c Gringo isn't really 'playing' with him very much, i think he's just too small & Gringo hates the shark teeth. what else should i think about?

Lori will be paying for food & all other expenses, including providing a crate for her.

thanks for your help with this, i want to do what's best for Gringo & Pi but i think it might be fun to have a 2nd puppy around for Pi.

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Pi's sister

Postby QBert » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:13 pm

It would probably be a lot of fun... interspersed with a lot of stress.

I gotta say I wouldn't recommend it. You're going to be responsible for keeping her fed and exercised to build and maintain appropriate weight muscle tone without wrecking her feet, blowing out a knee, or getting any scrapes or cuts that would leave her scarred. You'll be responsible for care of cropped and posted ears. You'll be expected to keep show-ring short nails.

It might very well enhance Pi's development - but it could also impede his forming a stable relationship with Gringo during this very malleable period of his life. And it would definitely cut into the time you have for one-on-one with the boys.

yes, I have a veritable horde of dogs in the house right now - but I have nothing but time, and even so it can be hard some days to be sure everyone has had some quality individual time. And none of them are baby puppies, and only one is currently showing. (and that one is currently minus an entire toenail which left her lame for several days and might mean skipping the next several shows planned for her, and may delay reaching her championship. If it grows back at all.)

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:59 am

2 puppies sounds like a LOT of work to me! And I always feel like the work increases much more when you have an odd number of dogs than it does when you have an even number.

Carson_Crazies
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Carson_Crazies » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:08 am

Any time I've ever had littermates together here it's been a rodeo. lol That's pretty much all I've got, cuz I've never raised a show pup. I would be very careful that the pups don't bond to each other more than they do you.
Laura & the Crazies:
Nick, Linc, Pia, June, and Ginger
RIP Zippy - January 11, 1994 to April 9, 2012

http://www.crooksandcrazies.blogspot.com

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:11 am

Is there any way she could have someone else watch her and you take her for a few weekends or extended playdates? Dogs really prefer to bond with each other and depending on the dog it could effect your relationship with your pup down the road. Not to mention how bonded you will get to the girl dog. If another home doesn't work out it would be tough at that point to let go.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:39 am

I agree with the above - I generally don't recommend people adopting littermates because they bond to each other instead of to the human. I realize one would be a foster, but the pups don't know that. Which means there could also be some issues when Pi's sister is moved onto her forever home. And certainly having another sharp-toothed puppy around likely won't sit well with Gringo!
If you do take it on, I like Kathleen's suggestion of a 'shared' situation - someone else looks after her (especially on those long days) but you and Pi also spend time with her through playdates and sleepovers. I wonder if they have a potential foster home near you with humans that would be open to being mentored by you?
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:31 am

ok, thanks for your help.

deep down i thought it wasn't such a good idea. at the same time, mostly, i feel badly not helping Lori with the pup. i'm just going to have to tell her i can't take the pup full time. i actually feel 'guilty' saying no. i feel like i owe her the favor. this is a totally screwed up view of the situation, i'm sure, but there it is.

i've been wracking my brain trying to think of someone that could take the pup for her but so far i haven't come up with anyone. there are 2 women from the morning park with Boxers. they're stay at home moms, each have a 3rd grader & a 5th grader. both got their Boxers as puppies & they are really nice dogs. i wonder if one of them would be willing to take the puppy.... the problem with this idea is that i don't have any way to get in touch with them except for running into them at the park. boo.

i guess i'll keep trying to think of someone & hopefully i can help her come up with a solution. i gotta know someone that can take the pup. i like the idea of play dates.

thanks for pointing out the 'cons' and helping me make the best decision. if i hadn't asked y'all i'd have just said yes & in the end i'd probably have 3 screwed up dogs.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:58 am

Why isn't the breeder or Lori able to keep or arrange for the pup she bred? I can't wrap my head around why this is YOUR thing to sort out.
Maybe you could take the pup when they're away at shows?

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:02 am

Why isn't the breeder or Lori able to keep or arrange for the pup she bred? I can't wrap my head around why this is YOUR thing to sort out.
Maybe you could take the pup when they're away at shows?
Exactly what I was thinking.

A weekend here or there sounds fun and beneficial. Taking on the puppy full time wouldn't even get a "hmm, maybe" from me.

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:09 am

agreed... not to mention the issues of litter mates growing up together! I've had dogs in class who are literally SCREAMING if separated, the owners bought as litter mates and never separated them. Unless I risk losing a client over it, I make sure that someone with litter mates are in two separate puppy classes, tell them to take the pups out to socialization events separately, etc etc. If I risk losing the business (ie. they just don't go to class, or risk going to a crappy trainer) play with each other is kept to a minimum and owners have to work on opposite sides of the room.

so, all that means more than twice the work for the puppy raisers simply to reduce the risk of these issues. This doesn't even take into account the pooping! oh the pooping!!

[And also speaking from experience from fostering those two pups together (and also with a failing geriatric in the home). Two pups are much more than twice the work, they did nothing to keep each other busy! (plus, they both had coccidia. yuck.)]
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:13 pm

Yep, I agree with everyone else that you should not take on the sister-pup for all the reasons already mentioned. Who would be training and socializing the pup, you? Plus, where will its home be once it starts showing, would it be coming back to you? Personally I would want to know what other dogs and germs mine are being exposed to. Then there is also the issue of something happening to this potential show dog while in your care. Would you be held responsible? There are way too many reasons for you not to do this. Set up some play dates if you think Pi would benefit from interaction with this pup.

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:46 pm

now that i've rec'd your input on this and had time to think about it i realize what a bad idea this is. i have my hands full enough as it is.

someone must have backed out on taking this pup b/c Lori had a home for all of the pups before they were ready to leave Mama Dog. i'm not sure what happened with that. i do know she is SUPER busy right now thru the end of April with her special and is going to be gone almost all the time. i do not want to judge her or try to guess what is going on in this situation. and - if it'd been left up to the owner of Mama dog she'd have been shipped up to chicago to have her puppies in a kennel & spend the rest of her days there. that sucks. big time. instead, Lori is taking good care of her. she has 2 humans and lots of dog friends to play with and if the right forever home comes along Lori will place her. i'm sad i can't take Mama Dog myself, she's SUCH a sweetie. 3 dogs is just too much for me. i see that now.

Elaine thinks it's not such a bad idea for me to take the pup. **sigh** i think i'll suggest SHE take the puppy. she has much more free time than i do. :tongue:

thanks again.

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:51 pm

i think i'll suggest SHE take the puppy.
do it!! :tongue:
Emily

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:26 am

:sign_hijack:

I'm finding all this talk of problems with littermates interesting. I've never had sibling dogs, but my dad had a pair of BC's that were littermates. They weren't any more bonded to each other than I've seen other dogs that live in the same home. They were just as happy to play with and hang out with the neighbor dogs as with each other. They were both utterly devoted to my dad and pretty strongly bonded to one of my brother's as well.

It never even occurred to me that there could be problems having littermates. I just thought two puppies sounded like way more work than I'd want, plus all the "show dog" concerns as well.

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:04 am

I think its more a matter of risk. So no guarantee that it'll be a problem, but the risk of dependancy or even conflict is much higher. (as with everything else in training, right?)
Emily

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:27 am

That makes sense, Emily. I just never would have even thought to consider that. I learn so much on this board!

yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby yintzy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:22 am

Wow, tough decision but I concur.

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”