here we go, let the puppy questions begin!

All kinds of dog talk here!
whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

here we go, let the puppy questions begin!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:18 am

ok folks, please be patient with me. i'll try not to be too neurotic as i prepare for our new arrival.

first question is about ex-pen height. Sabine sent me links to the ex-pen's she has. Elaine mentioned that the height of an ex-pen appropriate for a JRT puppy won't work for a Boxer pup since he'll be so much taller/bigger.

i'm going to have to have an ex-pen potty area set up in the backyard b/c when it rains the yard is off limits. i won't be able to take him to the front yard b/c our house is on a street that is well traveled by every dog in the 'hood & i know it's a popular 'potty spot' for many dogs.

i'm going to fill the ex-pen area with gravel like Sabine did. so do i need to get a taller ex pen? do you think i could just heighten the ex-pen with stakes and chicken wire/landscaping type wire mesh? i wondered about using wooden stakes and landscaping mesh for the whole area but i doubt that would work. the big meathead will probably knock that down the first day. :lol:

i guess i can also ask the handler how tall she thinks the ex-pen should be relative to how big he'll be while he's using it/before he can safely venture out into the world for walks.

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Re: here we go, let the puppy questions begin!

Postby QBert » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:29 am

the Boxer breeder I used to work for used 48" pens when the pups weaned and moved into the kitchen. If you're not planning to use it ever to contain him when not directly supervised, even a 24" or 30" will do, you'll be right there and can just train him that he isn't to climb or jump out. ( I had a friend whose two Dobes were trained to stay in their "pen" that was cinder blocks on end with a single rail stuck through the holes. Maybe 8, 10 inches high.) If you think you will ever turn your back and hope he'll be where you left him, I'd do a minimum of 36" and prefer the 48".
If you're going to go to the trouble of stakes and wire I wouldn't bother with the expen at all, just do the wire instead. The step-in steel stakes and welded wire garden fencing can be made into a perfectly good small pen. Keep the stakes reasonably close together and he won't knock it down even if he stands up against it.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:38 am

When I had Lucy's pups here, the larger ones (who are now boxer sized or a bit bigger) were able to scramble over a 24" xpen by 6 weeks - easily! 30" kept them in, though I'm not sure it would have been tall enough if I had to xpen them beyond 8 - 10 weeks. They get toe-grips on the wires near the bottom to give themselves a lift (or use each other as booster seats, when there's more than one) and as long as they can get their front paws on the top strand they are over and out.

36" wire securely fastened to well-rooted stakes at frequent intervals worked well in the back yard when I had to keep the dogs away from a flooded area.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

Sweetgrass Farm

Postby Sweetgrass Farm » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:26 am

You don't need to get a 48" ex-pen, if you get a top for them. a 30"-36" would be fine. The good thing about getting the shorter ex-pen is they're easier to store, to handle, and you can reach over the top to get a pup out, if you need to. Obviously, this would be in the early stages of your puppy. I can't see you lifting your boy when he's full grown. :laugh: If I only had to buy one ex-pen, I would get the powder coated one. If the boy's pee on them, they're easily cleaned and won't rust like the galvanized ones will, however they are pricey.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:38 am

Ditto what's already been said.

Plus, climbing (or even jumping) a 36" x-pen is really no problem for a Jack. The height works for me because I didn't use them for long-term confinement without supervision after his very initial baby period, and because I have an extremely good boy who doesn't even try to get out. :love: But nevertheless, just because it works at home I wouldn't leave him unsupervised in any x-pen without a cover when out at an event somewhere, even a 48". Jacks are Jacks and a crate is still the best option for that IMO.

I also wanted to give you a link to the babygate I bought for my kitchen, which is my secure, long-term, unsupervised confinement area:
http://www.amazon.com/Dreambaby-Extra-S ... 002VLR6JE/
Note, no cross bars to step/climb on except for the brace at the bottom. :sgrin:

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:07 am

thanks for all the helpful info.

i won't be using the outdoor ex-pen for anything but potty time when the yard is off limits so hopefully he won't be in there very long. i may or may not end up using it all the time. in any case, no need for a cover or anything too fancy. i'd like to think that will be puppy's only potty area but if Boy has to 'go' too i'll probably let puppy tag along for the big event b/c i have to/like to keep a close watch on Boy when he 'goes' b/c every once in a blue moon he, you know, don't make me say it. :sick: it hasn't happened in a long time but he has tried it a couple of times. weird.o. it's almost like it's a game to him sometimes.

i think i'll rig up an outdoor area with stakes and landscape wire mesh and have an ex-pen inside the house? my thought about the indoor ex-pen is that Boy isn't going to tolerate puppy being in there without him so i reckon Boy will be in there, too. OR maybe Boy will appreciate a break from the shark toothed monster? really the only time i think puppy will need to be contained will be at meal times while i make their food and feed them. i want them separated while they eat. can i feed puppy in his ex-pen?

Sweetgrass Farm

Postby Sweetgrass Farm » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:23 pm

I like feeding my dogs, especially the pups, in their crates. It's like a quiet time with no distractions, so they concentrate on eating. It's also a positive experience for them to associate with going in a crate. Get a coop cup that you can attach to the door of their crate, so it's up and off the floor and right in their face. Perfect eating height and since they're in a nice, safe little "den", they don't have to worry about anyone taking their food either. So, to answer your question, I would not feed in the ex-pen.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:04 pm

really the only time i think puppy will need to be contained will be at meal times while i make their food and feed them
You ain't seen nuthin' yet! lol Trust me, you'll want to be able to pop the puppy into a secure place for all kinds of things for a looooong time if you value your stuff and want to set up a positive training environment where he'll not be set up for getting in trouble.

If that's going to be your crate(s), you might not need it, but I've found that it made life so much easier when I could just put Dax into the gated kitchen anytime I wasn't able to keep both eyes on him - especially when he was teething.

I have one crate in the bedroom and one next to my desk where I spend a lot of time working, and for a lot of things I do around the house that's not very practical.

And of course there's a crate in each car, too - but that's an entirely different topic. :grin: lol

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:56 pm

I always use 36. I wouldn't bother with anything smaller. Even Echo can get out of those.
The taller ones get pretty awkward for moving around so if he can get out of the 36 opt for a top.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:38 pm

I have a 30 and a 36 and prefer my 30 but I`m containing a dog who is only 14 inches or dog who wouldnt try to get out. just make sure you get a walk through door.
I used mine a ton, so handy. Tricky is 9 months and I only recently put it away. It was so nice for door manners, not-yet-potty trained, chew bones, I need to get stuff done and I can`t supervise, I wanna sit on my butt online so I`m not paying attention etc

Claire
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Claire » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:33 pm

When I took Sophie's crate down, I set up an ex-pen because it was a whole lot less cumbersome looking. 36" and it has a door in one of the sections. I have a big ex-pen and just folded all the sections back on each section to fit where I had it in the house. There is no way I could lean over that and pick up a puppy, and I'm 5'8". As far as containing a dog without a top, once I had it set up outside when we had people over for a cookout. Before I knew it, Rudi & Sophie had jumped it and were mingling with the guests. The pen was large enough for them to get a "running start". So depending on the size and the height and the location of set-up, I guess a dog could escape it.

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:49 am

What kind of puppy are you getting? pics!

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:01 am

Robin, check out the OMG post a couple posts down here in general and my two pink piggies post in photos. i shared all the details there. :smile:

ps: please don't mention the pup on FB just yet, i'd like to wait a while before sharing with the general public. i don't want to 'jinx' anything.

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:48 am

Found it and no worries, I will be quiet...vewy vewy quiet!

Trademarkbark
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Trademarkbark » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:54 am

For the Collies, I've always used the 30s but I never left them unattended in them. However, Dora stays in one during the day now. She can (and will) jump out of it, but only if she feels like she needs to guard when I'm not home. She's 23 in tall, so she clears it quickly, but respects it and stays in it when I'm gone, except as I mentioned, if she felt the need to bark at the front door.
UFGRCH USCH GRCH "Spud" TT FDC CA CGC TKN
UFGRCH USCH GRCH "OE" TT CA TKN FDC BCAT CGC
USCH UFCH GCHx2 "Grytz" TT CGCU TKN FDC
CH "Doozy" FDC CGC TKN
"Spock"

Sweetgrass Farm

Postby Sweetgrass Farm » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:56 am

:sign_hijack: Just a really quick hijack because I couldn't resist this photo knowing that Colliewog was on this thread. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
Melon Collie.jpg
Melon Collie.jpg (26.6 KiB) Viewed 1290 times

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:23 am

My two cents on feeding in crates. In my puppy classes, I have people feed the pups in a variety of ways so that they do not develop resource guarding issues. If pup always eats in crate, he may or may not become protective of that spot. I have clients hand feed some meals, feed kibble out of the Kong if that's what they are feeding, feed in different rooms of the house and always have people around when pup is eating. Hand-feeding teaches dogs that the human hand is a really good thing, and yummy things come from those hands. It can also strengthen our bond with our dog, because he sees that food comes directly from us. I also have them sit by the pup while he is eating and while he is eating, every so often toss in a higher value food item or pick up the bowl and put something yummy in, returning it to the dog. This helps the dog be comfy with people near the bowl and them actually looking forward to a person coming near the food.

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”