I think it's time

All kinds of dog talk here!
UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Re: I think it's time

Postby UpwardDog » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:27 pm

((((( big group hug ))))
I'm so glad she went peacefully. Look out Rudi, the party's starting!

Claire
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Claire » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:30 pm

I told Sophie she needs to search for somebody to bake REALLY good cookies for her until I show up. :-)

my2cotons
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby my2cotons » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:39 pm

Oh my, my tears are flowing - I can just imagine how yours are. You didn't watch her die - you watched her go to Rudi. And she carried your love with her as she went. I'm sure those thoughts of her and Rudi together will bring you comfort in the coming days. Thoughts, prayers and hugs for you and Hank.

PofiMia
No, I don't have a life!

Postby PofiMia » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:56 pm

Lucky and loved girl to be surrounded and comforted by your love as you sent her on her way. I'm glad it was gentle and peaceful - sounds just like our good-bye to our girl, Jesse, on the couch, some 8 years ago. Ken carried her to the vet's car for cremation and I thought, for just a second, "She's just sleeping," because she looked so peaceful. And, of course, she was.

Wishing you much comfort at this moment and in the days to come - I know the house will seem silent, but listen closely and you'll hear the echoes of her footfalls and Rudi's and Freida's, too. Echoes of so many happy times are still there to soothe your heart.

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:01 pm

Claire, you did right by her and you were with her until the end.

Rest well sweet Soph.

Claire
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Claire » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:02 pm

I had a dog cushion on the floor in front of the sofa and had removed the sofa cushions to replace with dog cushions, all to make it lower and easier for Sophie to navigate.
So I just took the cover off the floor cushion to wash and put the inner cushion in the car to donate to the local shelter along with some other ones.
As I was returning upstairs, I heard a sound -- I swear it sounded like Sophie's paws on the floor! Even as I climbed the stairs, I heard it again.
Yes, she is with me.

BTW I think she went quickly because I whispered there was a HUGE counter at the Rainbow Bridge, loaded with goodies, and plenty to go around. I'm sure she's surfing already.

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:30 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope the fact that the end was peaceful will, in time, cushion the blow.
Rest easy, Sophie, girl. Good Dog. cookies! all you want, baby.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:35 pm

I'm so sorry Claire. Sending peace and comfort to you and Hank. I'm glad she left gently; a good girl to the end. Hang on to all those wonderful memories and hopefully soon they will outweigh the grief.

Run free with Rudi sweet Sophie! There are treats galore, free for the taking now :)

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:02 pm

I'm very sad for you today Claire, but you did the right thing. It's great that you were able to leave Sophie in her comfortable surroundings and spared her a stressful trip.

I wish you peace.

Claire
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Claire » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:58 pm

I must tell you that when the vet arrived, I briefed her on Sophie's age and liver cancer, etc.
She asked when it was diagnosed, and when I said March, she raised her eyebrows.
I then told her about the liver-cleansing diet, milk thistle, SamE.
She said she didn't think she's ever seen a Weim as old!
I felt so good, thinking that not only did Sophie reach this age, but that I had probably done things to help give her an added 5 months of good life that apparently was extraordinary in the vet's view.

I want to thank Sabine and all the others who helped me so much during all my trials in food prep. The tips and support you gave me helped Sophie immeasurably and I am forever thankful.

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:33 pm

Claire, I'm so glad you bought her all this time with the great care you gave her. Hopefully the vet has an open mind, so others may benefit...

Yankee
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Yankee » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:05 pm

Claire - i am so sorry.

PofiMia
No, I don't have a life!

Postby PofiMia » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:12 pm

As I was returning upstairs, I heard a sound -- I swear it sounded like Sophie's paws on the floor! Even as I climbed the stairs, I heard it again.
Yes, she is with me.

BTW I think she went quickly because I whispered there was a HUGE counter at the Rainbow Bridge, loaded with goodies, and plenty to go around. I'm sure she's surfing already.
That's lovely - I'm so glad you know she is with you still and always. Enjoy the yummy noms, Sophie!

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:15 pm

Claire, even through tears I can't help but smile at the thought of her surfing that great big cookie counter at the Bridge.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:21 pm

Claire, even through tears I can't help but smile at the thought of her surfing that great big cookie counter at the Bridge.
this is what i was thinking about while i was at work this afternoon, how happy Sophie will be to finally be able to surf to her tummy's content.

and i love that you heard her footsteps, she's right there with you and always will be.

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:14 pm

Yes, she is with me.
It's a comfort, isn't it? Shortly after I lost Quigley, I swear I heard a noise that sounded like him crawling out from under my desk, where he often slept.

And I'll post this sweet picture, although it makes me tear up every time I look at it.
spiritdog.jpg
spiritdog.jpg (64.52 KiB) Viewed 1574 times

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:00 am

It sounds like a lovely, peaceful passing to the doggie heaven of (low) counters all lined up with endless cakes and snacks. Happy for the good girl Sophie. Tears and hugs for you and Hank. Thinking of you all.

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:06 am

I still hear Gina scratching in her bed, which sits right next to my desk in our new home. I was very glad that she moved with us. I adore that picture, Sabine.

Aubergine
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Aubergine » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:36 am

Claire, I'm so sorry to hear about this. Sophie was such a loved and lucky girl. Big hugs to you from me and my crew.

BassetLover
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby BassetLover » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:04 pm

I'm so very sorry, Claire. RIP, Sophie.

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”