Dognapping in Michigan

All kinds of dog talk here!
Claire
Yes, I do have a life!

Dognapping in Michigan

Postby Claire » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:40 pm

Did you see this one?
A well-constructed letter from the 'napper. But unless that dog was neglected, outside with no water or shelter. and without human contact, I cannot agree with what happened. Makes me wonder if this is someone in their neighborhood. Hope they find that dog and return it.

http://www.pawnation.com/2012/06/21/thi ... 004#page=1

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Dognapping in Michigan

Postby connie » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:17 pm

I suspect there is more to this story than we will probably ever know, which doesn't stop me from being curious. :tongue:

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:42 pm

I suspect there is more to this story than we will probably ever know, which doesn't stop me from being curious. :tongue:
Ditto.

I recently learned about this organization in Portland and hope it takes off in other areas! It has recemtly been in the local news several times.

http://www.paw-rescue.org/

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:22 pm

I am torn over this. I have supported a local org that takes food, water, appropriate tie-outs, fly gel, etc. to dogs who live their lives on the end of a chain, often with little human contact and it's hard not to want to take each and every one of them out of those hellish situations. There's so much to this story and so much about standards of care and who deems them appropriate that falls within a grey area. Part of me commends the thief and part of me abhors the theft.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

Bettyna
Quite involved

Postby Bettyna » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:39 pm

Ummm isn't this illegal? And how do we know whether the dognappers are legit and not stealing dogs for resale/breeding and other bad things?

my2cotons
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby my2cotons » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:25 pm

I don't know what to think without knowing for sure just how bad things were for the dog. It made me think of the Rottie that was tied up outside a house where we walked everyday. He was on about a 10 ft rope. He had a dog house and I think they kept his food and water full, but they gave that dog NO human attention. There are several Hispanic males who live in the house. I would see one of them come out to bring food or change the water. The dog would be soooo excited to see them and be jumping up wanting to play. They would simply take care of the food and water and turn and go back in the house without even a pat on his head. It broke my heart. Several weeks ago we had a terrible storm with some tornadoes in the area. I haven't seen the dog since that night. I don't know if he got off the rope and ran away or if he was killed in the storm or what, but he is definitely gone. In a way, I am glad. I don't know what happened but at least he has escaped his lonely sad life.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:58 pm

I'm cynical enough that I suspect that if the dog's condition had been reported to the SPCA three times, he probably wasn't in a great situation. Not condoning dognapping.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:54 am

There was a dog a few blocks away from me who was kept in a situation like that, Kathy. This was many years ago now ... I used to bring the dog beef bones and talk to him through the fence. If I could have gotten him out of that yard, I would have. Screw political correctness: I DO condone dognapping. I've done it. I'd do it again if it would help a dog out of misery. Dogs aren't property, and human beings don't have the right under any moral code that IS a moral code, to keep a dog in a situtation that deprives of it of physical and emotional comfort. (The OES cross that several people and I dognapped went right to a rescue and was adopted within a week. No more being tied out in a yard with a rope on a collar for that dog! The Lab/Rott mix that a neighbor and I dognapped went to the shelter and was warmly welcomed by the staff, who noted what a sweet dog he was and how hungry for affection he was. They cut the collar off him and I gave them a donation and left them in his care. I sure hope he got a home; I know he didn't reappear in the yard of his erstwhile owners.)

So yeah, I wonder what the real story is here. Someone went to a lot of trouble to get that dog, and to leave that note. That seems like more than a prank to me. It's easy for owners to cry crocodile tears and say 'we love our dog' -- rescue and shelter workers hear that a lot as they take in dogs in absolutely disgusting condition. I would like to hear the whole story in this. Just saying.

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”