Re: Test thread

Postby Bettyna » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:06 am

The mobile version is pretty cool! :)

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:12 am

Help I'm here, but....
Is there a way to make the font appear larger when I'm reading posts? It is showing up much smaller than on the old board (at least on my computer) and I can't find a way to change it except when I am the one posting a message. - I'm having trouble reading the 8 pt font!
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Postby amyzon » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:50 am

Very cool! Nice work!

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:21 am

One more question - it appears the avatar has to be EXACTLY 80x80 pixels. I can't get my computer to do that - no matter how much I shrink the picture or tell it to custom size it to 80x80, it comes up as 80x76 or 78x74 or something like that- and gets rejected. The message says it has to be AT LEAST 80x80 but NO MORE than 80x80 - in other words, exact. Neither of my old avatars will work, even though they worked on the old board. Help?
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:28 am

I struggled with that too. Finally I had to crop the picture and then save it with the right pixel ratio. Took me 6 tries to get it right, and I'm usually pretty good at that stuff!

Panther
Site Admin

Postby Panther » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:28 am

Help[/size] I'm here, but....
Is there a way to make the font appear larger when I'm reading posts?
There's an icon near the top of the page above the search box to change the font size.

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:46 am

Jean, I struggled with the avatar like you and Sherri. Something that should have been easy was a pita! I finally figured out that my photo editing software will crop to a certain dimension or pixel count. I cropped to an exact square pixel count, and then I resized down to the 80 x 80 required size.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:51 am

Haroh! Am I here? :grin:
I miss the side bars—the fluid width is making the lines super wide. I'm gonnu go figure out the avatars and all.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:03 am

There's an icon near the top of the page above the search box to change the font size.
Thanks Panther - in the teeny tiny script I was getting, I didn't see that!

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:07 am

Jean, I struggled with the avatar like you and Sherri. Something that should have been easy was a pita! I finally figured out that my photo editing software will crop to a certain dimension or pixel count. I cropped to an exact square pixel count, and then I resized down to the 80 x 80 required size.
The only two photo editing things I have on my computer are Microsoft office (or maybe it is windows - whatever one comes up automatically when I load my photos), and Paint - neither of them will let me do it on the image I wanted to use. Maybe I'll try another picture and see if I can make it work.

I hate change.

Woohoo :thumbup: - using a different picture worked, but Sadie's nose is out of joint that I chose one of Charley instead of the one of both of them I wanted to use. Eldest first, Sadie.

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:38 am

Jean, I sent you a PM, but not sure it went through because my "sent messages" folder is empty. Not sure what happened to it.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:57 am

Jean, I sent you a PM, but not sure it went through because my "sent messages" folder is empty. Not sure what happened to it.
Nope, nothing in my inbox, and no notifications.

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:25 am

I lost it. I had your name in the box, but I hadn't clicked "add." I just sent you another one, and it's sitting in my outbox. I'm not sure if it just takes time to go through the server and will then be moved to the "sent" folder. I did see a message that it was sent successfully. I sent myself one as a test, and it went through immediately. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Still learning.

ETA: ok, I logged out and back in and the message was sent. Frustrating.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:27 pm

An interesting thing about the pictures, Panther's picture had scroll bars even though it was smaller than QBerts. When I clicked on each picture, the scroll bars disappeared and the picture got bigger. With QBert's, I did have to use the mouse to move down the picture because it filled my whole screen.
Yes, once an image is over a specified size, it will get scroll bars, but you can click on it to let it pop up in its original resolution. I don't know this limit right now, but a picture of 400 x 280 I tested is small enough to not have scroll bars.

Panther will look into it, but it might be a while. He's so busy with work and spent all weekend transitioning ODO, he needs to get caught up. lol

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:57 pm

Hey guys! :peekdoor:

EllaBella
No, I don't have a life!

Postby EllaBella » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:33 am

It's so different! I'm disoriented with everyone else...

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:52 am

It IS different, but it didn't take me too long to get reoriented. I think most of it is pretty clear, and the things that aren't so obvious (like where to find the active or unread posts, etc) are easy enough once someone points them out. It sure feels faster!

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:05 pm

It sure feels faster!
It is! The code of the old software wasn't very efficient. :)

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:09 pm

I really like the options that list the posts that are unanswered or unread. That is much easier and even speedier in that regard too.

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:28 pm

Me too, Judy!

It takes a little while to figure out how everything works, but once you get into it, it's easy to understand. One of my favorite things is the fluidly adjustable font size.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:40 pm

I really like the options that list the posts that are unanswered or unread. That is much easier and even speedier in that regard too.
I actually prefered the previous one where I could just hit on "active topics" and at a glance see what had been added. I also liked the old one because the notifications actually gave you the body of the new post rather than having to go to the board for each one. It appears that 'new posts" on this one only lists those since the last time I came to the board - so when I just come here to read one post on one thread I got notified about, and forget to see what else is new, those go into never-never-land. I guess that is what the 'unread posts' covers - all and every post I've never read? I've never figured out the purpose of the 'unanswered' category - we have that on some of my other boards, and it doesn't make any sense to me. Either it is unanswered because it has only just been posted (in which case, it would show under 'new posts'), or because it wasn't something that interested anyone - and I would have seen it already under 'new posts'.

I do like the ease with which I could make the font bigger - no more eyestrain!! :smile:
And I like having the smilies right there by the box when I type a post - so simple!

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:44 pm

Oh! I just discovered there is an "Active topics" option on this board too - except it tells me there are no active topics!

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:57 pm

Oh! I just discovered there is an "Active topics" option on this board too - except it tells me there are no active topics!
If something isn't working, please post about it in the Support forum. Create a separate thread for each issue and put a descriptive subject line (E.g. "Bug report: Active topic isn't working") and include as much detail as you can in the body of the post, including exact error messages if there are any.

Panther doesn't read the forum, but he will look into problems if he's made aware of them.

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”