The sheer idiocy of people is astounding

All kinds of dog talk here!
Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

The sheer idiocy of people is astounding

Postby Sabine » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:33 pm

Since P and I want to get our pilot's licenses and work on getting a small airplane once our house is paid off, I've been looking on the internet about information on people who fly with their dogs. There's some amazing stuff out there, like this for example!
http://www.safeandsoundpets.com/medium.html

However, I've also come across some really, really ridiculous information, such as someone stating their vet claims that you shouldn't take a dog about 5,000 feet in a small aircraft and "a dog might survive 12,500 feet for a short time, but would probably become unconscious and might be permanently injured".

Uh, there are many places in the world where people and their dogs live at an altitude of over 5,000 feet (Durango, CO being one of them :p ) and Quigley would like to make it known that even 13,000 feet isn't an issue. lol
http://www.mordanna.com/photos/viewer.p ... imgid=5412

The internet - a great thing, but oh boy, sometimes the idiocy is astounding.

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: The sheer idiocy of people is astounding

Postby Moemer » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:46 pm

I got Arlo muttmuffs for his sound sensitivities! They were $60, had to drive over an hour to get them, and unfortunately not helpful for his situation :o

Another example... just do a google search for "dog training" and see what comes up. or youtube. good grief. it's no wonder the crazy things I see in training sessions and the crazier things I read in applications for fosters!
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:35 pm

When I was married to an avid small craft pilot and glider instructor, it was the norm to use oxygen if you were above 10,000 ft. However, I knew pilots who went to 15,000 without it.
We didn't take our dog with us, though I certainly know pilots who do, including my best female (human) friend. However, they didn't fly above 10,000 with them.
That being said, there are of course airspace restrictions that dictate how high small planes are allowed to fly - generally 14,500 I think in the States, but not sure if it varies from place to place (we were mostly flying near Whistler in BC Canada and near Moses Lake, Washington).

One thing to keep in mind is that you gain altitude much more quickly when flying than when hiking up a mountain, and the speed with which you enter 'thinner' air affects how it will affect you. Gradually entering (as in hiking) allows your body to adjust, whereas entering more rapidly in a plane does not. Also, consider whether a dog's body reacts differently than a human body.

I believe the FAA offers a short course specifically on the topic of oxygen and physiological responses, for a very small fee. No doubt your flight instructor will be able to steer you to these sorts of resources. Another excellent resource would the the pilots who fly rescue dogs for free - I can't remember the name of that organization, but they are awesome!
Last edited by emmas_mom on Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: typo - above not about
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:36 pm

[quote=emmas_mom]One thing to keep in mind is that you gain altitude much more quickly when flying than when hiking up a mountain, and the speed with which you enter 'thinner' air affects how it will affect you. Gradually entering (as in hiking) allows your body to adjust, whereas entering more rapidly in a plane does not. Also, consider whether a dog's body reacts differently than a human body.[/quote]

Of course outside of an aircraft the gain is much more gradual, but even in a small aircraft you don't gain altitude as quickly as in a commercial plane, and from what I have heard in personal conversations from people who actually fly with their dogs (and don't just claim they do, like I suspect some anonymous internet trolls who are fabricating that kind of stuff), they were just shaking their heads, especially about not exceeding 5,000 feet. lol

I certainly wouldn't subject a dog to flying in an unpressurized cabin at an altitude where humans have to use oxygen masks though. So far there don't seem to be any satisfactory solutions to that.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:40 pm

Those are the same morons who will tell you that you shouldn't feed you dog raw meat because once they get a taste for blood your children won't be safe lol

Panther
Site Admin

Postby Panther » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:48 pm

Your Jeep can gain altitude rather quickly...

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”