Introducing: Brodie!

All kinds of dog talk here!
Amanda
Permanent Resident

Introducing: Brodie!

Postby Amanda » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:38 am

I picked up Brodie last night at the Humane Society. He is an absolute doll! I think he even recognized me too because he passed by two people to make a beeline for me with his tail wagging and everything. He's just a wonderful dog. He is getting along fine on the three legs he has left. The incision was a little weepy last night, but seems to be doing OK.

He was afraid to come in our house last night, but once he was inside he made himself right at home! He's had no accidents and seems to be housebroken. He went to the door twice last night and used the yard. I thought he might have a hard time balancing to poop, but he does that OK too. He's totally quiet, hasn't made more than a little tiny whine this morning to go to the bathroom. He slept until 8:45. He's not food or toy aggressive and gets along great with my kids! He's here at work with me and is really being a good boy. I hope I can find him a home with someone I know so I can see him a lot.

We settled on Brodie. DH didn't really like Remo and Finn doesn't fit him very well. He is responding to Brodie already. I kind of wonder if someone owned him and couldn't afford to fix his leg, so they dumped him. Crappy thing to do, but Brodie seems like he "gets" the whole family thing.

He probably does have some pit in him. He's got a brindle coat and a stocky build. We thinking shepherd or maybe shar pei too to give him the coat he has. He's a mutters, but I'm attached already. DH was really sweet with him last night too. Who knows?? Here he is!
Attachments
26509-Brodie2.JPG
(0 Bytes) Downloaded 54 times

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Re: Introducing: Brodie!

Postby Amanda » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:39 am

You can sort of see his surgery site in this one. He's tough to take pictures of!
Attachments
26510-Brodie.JPG
(0 Bytes) Downloaded 54 times

Hill

Postby Hill » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:53 am

Oh my goodness he is adorable!!! I like Brodie!! And I HOPE you get to keep him!! Comeon... traveling with three dogs... totally the same as traveling with two!

yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby yintzy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:56 am

Awwww!!! He's adorable.

PaulaS
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby PaulaS » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:09 pm

Awww, he's so cute! He looks like a Brodie, too. (and it fits: SadIE, FreddY, BrodIE )

It sounds like he's a real sweetheart, and that he's fitting right in. Bless you again for saving him!

I'm no good at the guessing game, but I don't see pit in him. He's adorable, no matter what.
Paula
Lilly, Jack, Alex and Will

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:51 pm

Awww he is absolutely adorable!

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Postby amyzon » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:56 pm

He is absolutely precious! He has the sweetest face and eyes...I can see why you are totally in love! And he sounds like such a good boy...I'm so happy he's safe and comfy with you. That coat of his is beautiful; imagine what a looker he's gonna be when he gets back to 100% good health and on some good food! Bless your heart Amanda...looks like you rescued a very special little fellow! I'll keep my fingers crossed that he finds a wonderful home...although something tells me he's gonna be a tough one to give up.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:39 pm

What a cutie! Do you know how old he is?

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:45 pm

He's a cutie! Brodie does look like it fits him! I'm so happy he's finally settled somewhere comfy and loving.

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:49 pm

Oh! That brindling! That face! How could anyone abandon him?!?

Cathy
Too much time on my hands

Postby Cathy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:04 pm

Awwww, what a sweet little face I just want to kiss his little nose.
Bless you for taking care of him.

Also, I official withdraw my "Tippy" suggestion -- he looks exactly like a Brodie.

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:04 pm

Do you know how old he is?

The Humane Society said they think he's 1.5 years. I'm going with 10-12 months or so. His teeth are all adult ones, and he does have some mild tarter. I'm really not quite sure... his mannerisms and build are quite puppy-like still.

Brenda
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Brenda » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:32 pm

He's really sweet Is there ANY chance you'll keep him??? How can people throw dogs away

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:13 pm

Boy he is adorable. I'm so glad he was lucky enough to find you.

Sally
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Sally » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:10 pm

He looks like a Brodie to me and also a keeper!

awwww, he is adorable!

Emily
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Emily » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:28 pm

Oh goodness, he is adorable!!! Brodie does fit him, I like that name too. I, too, think he's a keeper

Trademarkbark
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Trademarkbark » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:29 pm

Do you know how old he is?

The Humane Society said they think he's 1.5 years. I'm going with 10-12 months or so. His teeth are all adult ones, and he does have some mild tarter. I'm really not quite sure... his mannerisms and build are quite puppy-like still.
He has a puppy-like face. Such a sweetheart (you and him)!
CA UFGRCH USCH GRCH "Spud" TT FDC CA CGC TKN
CAX UFGRCH USCH GRCH "OE" TT CA TKN FDC BCAT CGC
USCH UFCH GRCH GCH "Grytz" TT CGCU TKN FDC
CH "Doozy" FDC CGC TKN

murphdog
Too much time on my hands

Postby murphdog » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:38 pm

What a cutie!
Mom to two dogs Clarence and Emmy; three cats Crathes, Harley, and Cadbury; two ferrets Sam and Frizzle

RIP: Murphie, Graycie, Zane, Bailey, and Ulysses

howlyip
Quite involved

Postby howlyip » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:59 am

Ha, Brodie. If only the first Brodie knew!! He is adorable, so sweet in his eyes. I hope he wins your DH over.
Good Job Amanda!!

TrishaG
Just popping in

Postby TrishaG » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:01 am

What a sweetheart! I think the name fits him, and, dare I say...looks like he's home to me.

Jodi
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Jodi » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:06 am

Amanda - he is a keeper! Very cute - something in him says Boxer to me..... I used to have a pit/boxer and she looked very similar to him including the brindling. (though she was more blonde)

Good lukc with him and keep us updated on his progress.

Andria

Postby Andria » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:15 pm

Aww, I've been following his story but haven't had a chance to post. He's adorable. I don't really see pit in him but who knows? I sure hope he steals your DH's heart.

Claire
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Claire » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:49 pm

"Sweetheart" is spelled all over his face! Bless you!

Panda
Quite involved

Postby Panda » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:56 pm

Okay, I just can't get over how adorable this little guy is. I am sooo glad you were able to get him help, Amanda, and that now you can foster him. Such a cute little bugger deserves to have every chance in this world.

Yankee
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Yankee » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:25 pm

Gee - I hear it's always best to have an even number of dogs.

Aimee

Postby Aimee » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:43 pm

He's adorable!

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:19 am

Amanda, how is he doing and how are the other dogs adjusting to his presence? Does he know his name yet? That always amazes me, how quickly a dog can "get" that a name he's never heard before is his! Is Brodie a member of the family now?

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:48 am

Oh what a sweet face. He's sure cute I'm glad he's adjusting to three legs so well. I can't wait to see some pics of him playing with the rest of the gang

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:43 pm

Gee - I hear it's always best to have an even number of dogs.

Well, since I already have an even number, I probably shouldn't keep him then, huh?

Brodie is doing really really well. He had one accident this morning, but we think it was an excitment pee. DH was making their breakfasts and he was excited. He had just gone outside and went, so he shouldn't have had to go. Anyway, my only concern right now is that he's having pretty bad diarrea. I'm stopping his Rimadyl (today was the last day anyway) and putting him on some pumpkin and cottage cheese/rice. He is acting totally happy though.

He tries so hard to play with my dogs. They are both a little aloof to him though. I think because he can't play as rough as they like too. They pull him over when they try to play tug and I think that's a little frustrating. He's also getting a lot of our attention and I think the dogs are upset about that a little bit.

I took him to the barn last night and he was originally a bit nervous around the horses, but after about 10 minutes, he was trying to chase them and I actually had to tie him up again so he wouldn't get stepped on. I also took him to the vet that originally saw him so that they could see he was doing really well. One of the receptionists wanted to adopt him, but she was a little weird.

The best news of all is that one of our really good family friends came by to meet our "three legged dog" last night and the dad totally fell in love with him. Their daughter is irrationally afraid of dogs (never been bitten, can't explain why she's afraid, etc). She's 7 years old and so far we've gotten her to like Sadie, and to pet Freddy if he's looking away. Her dad has wanted to get a dog for a long time, but was always afraid to get a puppy because you never really know how big they'll be, if they'll be good with the kids, etc. Brodie greeted them very calmly, laid down, and fell asleep while the dad was petting him. They are going to think about it for a few days and maybe adopt him!! I would be so excited for him to go to this family. They aren't the most dog knowledgable, but they would come to me for advice. He would get to be an inside dog and much to the excitement of their 5 year old son, get to sleep on his lower bunk with him. But best of all is that I would get to see him a lot.

Thanks for thinking of him. I'm sure I'll have some more pictures this weekend.

ETA: Connie- yes, he does know his name already... and he sits. He's a smart little cookie!!

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:15 pm

It's official! They are going to adopt him! He's going to stay with them next weekend while we go out of town to make sure they are comfortable with everything (I'm sure they will be) and then on the 22nd, we'll go to the Humane Society for him to get his shots and have his stitches removed and sign the paperwork. Yay!

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”