Ike update, after 6 weeks!

All kinds of dog talk here!
connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Ike update, after 6 weeks!

Postby connie » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:51 am

My adventures in Non-Sheltie Land:

Yay, Ike can eat raw chicken and he's not a gulper! This morning I gave Ike a raw chicken wing, instead of kibble, for breakfast. He ate it very deliberately and chewed it thoroughly, so I gave him another, and he did the same. I'm delighted, because I want to give him RMBs for one meal, the way I do with my Shelties, but I'm never sure with a new dog if they're going to eat the bones properly.

Ike loves dog school. He is taking the "Family Dog" class that meets at the dog bakery and is taught by my rally instructor. Ike has had some training, but he is learning how to learn, and it's so much fun to see him process. Last week was about getting eye contact, and one exercise was to hold the treat in your hand and only give it to the dog when he looks at you. Ike started out by staring fixedly at the treat for a full minute; when that produced nothing, he sat up and begged (aha, he knows beg!); still nothing, and finally he glanced at me and got the click/treat. We shaped that from there and he definitely 'got it' quickly. He is a smart dog.

Ike continues to counter-surf, and catches me every time I forget to clear the counter. Last week he took two bananas and ate them and left the peels. Last night he took a package of almond-cinnamon tea cookies (my cookies!!) and a container of digestive enzymes that were flavored with beef liver, and ate both. When will I learn?!?!

Ike is faster than he looks, and has a pretty strong predatory drive. He got that bird a couple of weeks ago, and the other day he got a squirrel. Fortunately, he dropped the squirrel when I shouted -- I think I startled him -- and Sunny, who was assisting in the operation, flubbed the pickup, so after some scuffling in the snow, the squirrel got away and made it up one of the walnut trees. But Ike is a hunter.

He is such a funny dog!

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Ike update, after 6 weeks!

Postby SherriA » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:56 am

He sounds like fun! Sounds like he's fitting in pretty well too. Have the girls decided he's OK yet?

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:31 am

I can't believe it has been 6 weeks already. It sounds like you are getting to know the real Ike and he is settling in well.
As far as the counter surfing, Quinn ate a nine dollar steak I was getting ready to fix my husband for dinner the other day. Like you said when will I ever learn.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:44 am

[quote=SherriA]Have the girls decided he's OK yet? [/quote]

Yes. In fact, don't tell anyone this, but Shiri likes him. She sometimes snuggles up to him on walks -- you know how two dogs will walk almost pressed together sometimes? -- and she spends lots of time under the deck ramp with Ike, both of them chewing on knuckle bones. I think Shiri likes it that Ike is as aloof to other dogs as she is. They can be King and Queen of the Snotty Prom. ROFL

And Pip has dropped her Whole Lotta Hate act, and she pays Ike little attention, which is good. Pip is closest to Sunny and Rudy and always will be.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:46 am

[quote=Kathleen] Quinn ate a nine dollar steak I was getting ready to fix my husband for dinner the other day. [/quote]

And did he appreciate it more than he would have appreciated a $1.29 pile of beef scraps? Probably not! That's just wrong. :fie:

catherinec
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby catherinec » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:52 am

[quote=connie]and Sunny, who was assisting in the operation, flubbed the pickup, so after some scuffling in the snow, the squirrel got away and made it up one of the walnut trees. [/quote]

Aww, poor Sunny! So close yet so far away rofl

Glad Ike is doing well - sounds like you both hit the jackpot! You know you can post more pictures any time you like, right? :)

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:54 am

Yeah I'm sure he would have much preferred a hot dog.

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:07 am

It took a special dog like Ike to help you get over the "sheltie hump". He sounds like a prince and yes, more pictures please.

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:19 am

Rosie says if he's surfing bananas and diestive cookies, he's clearly starving and you need to up his ration. :rolleyes:

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:25 am

[quote=sammy]Rosie says if he's surfing bananas and diestive cookies, he's clearly starving and you need to up his ration. :rolleyes: [/quote]

Uh-huh. I'd buy that if the scale didn't tell a different story. Ike weighed 62 lb. when he went into the shelter in October -- that would be obese for a Lappy :wow: -- and now he weighs 48 lb. He looks great. The vet says he's quite healthy.

I realize that none of that, in his and Rosie's definition, rules out incipient starvation, but I will have to agree to disagree with them on this. ROFL

yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby yintzy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:59 am

It sounds like Ike is settling in nicely and it sounds like you're enjoying him which is so nice. Glad Shiri and Ike are bonding. I can totally picture it. LOL

Jeano
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Jeano » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:53 am

He sounds great! And very familiar!

Watch out for this ploy:

YOu put some food somewhere relatively reachable. Like, you are just about to sit down to dinner.

Suddenly Ike goes BARK BARK there's SOMEONE AT THE DOOR! And you go to the door to see what he's talking about and while you do that he eats your dinner.

Ole did this to me the second week I had him! Ike sounds just as determined to get food as Ole is!

How wonderful that he's lost so much weight, you are such a good dog mom. :love:

luvarescue
No, I don't have a life!

Postby luvarescue » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:25 am

Aww- I like Ike stories!

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:31 am

I hope Ike and KaeJae and all the brats on this Board haven't been conference calling. KaeJae would counter surf if he could....he does jump on the dining room table if anything is left...it annoys the living crap out of me....his new obsession is stealing pens. I guess Ike has joined the brat pack of ODO?

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:27 am

[quote=Jeano]He sounds great! And very familiar!

Watch out for this ploy:

YOu put some food somewhere relatively reachable. Like, you are just about to sit down to dinner.

Suddenly Ike goes BARK BARK there's SOMEONE AT THE DOOR! And you go to the door to see what he's talking about and while you do that he eats your dinner.

Ole did this to me the second week I had him! Ike sounds just as determined to get food as Ole is!

How wonderful that he's lost so much weight, you are such a good dog mom. :love: [/quote]

Oh no, I may be a Sheltie person, but I am not a complete chump! ROFL Last year I gave my dining table to my mom (it was her mom's, and it's a lovely antique) and bought a cafe-type table with two chairs -- the table is high and the chairs are like bar-stool height. NO DOG in my house can reach what's on that table. In fact, it really reduced the cluster of dog spectators at my mealtimes!

Further update on Ike's consumption of the digestive enzymes on Friday night: they were in little foil packets, and I found some of the packets on the floor when I got home. Saturday I found a few MORE of the packets, they appeared out of nowhere and they were wet and disfigured by teeth marks. :confused: Last night Ike produced still a few more of the foil packets: he urped them up! I guess I assumed he'd poop them out, but he's regurgitating them at intervals, all the while continuing to eat his meals and have normal stools (well, a bit runny, but I attribute that to the sudden exuberance of bacteria and enzymatic activity in his gut).

I could do without this drama, frankly! OTOH, I have found that Resolve carpet cleaner is wizard at removing urp stains from a jute rug, and that's good to know. :)

bionicmlle
Quite involved

Postby bionicmlle » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:04 pm

ick. puke on jute. Good luck with that!!

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:36 am

[quote=bionicmlle]ick. puke on jute. Good luck with that!! [/quote]

I know, that's what I thought, and I was glad that it's an inexpensive rug. But after I tried scrubbing and there were still blotches, I broke out an old bottle of Resolve, and it worked -- I can't even tell now where the 'incidents' occurred!

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”