How did you decide to name your dogs?

All kinds of dog talk here!
MoonStr80
Hopelessly addicted

How did you decide to name your dogs?

Postby MoonStr80 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:26 pm

I dunno if I have already ask this? BUT -- I'm so curious of how all of you came up with names for your dogs? What's background story about the names?

Lacey already came with Lacey, we really like that name it stick with her personality etc

I have jungled with names when I got Misty. Some ppl WAIT for their personality to unfold. It took a day to name Misty, I have always like the name Misty. I was choosing the name between Misty & Daisy.

I had a deaf interpreter name "Missy", I did like her she was very nice & a talent signer :)

So ... I ask everyone for their opinion, they were all like "Name her whatever you want" that didn't help lol so I selected "Misty" :)

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: How did you decide to name your dogs?

Postby Bari » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:28 pm

I'm partial to college names. I had a Berkeley, Princeton, Stanford and now I have Carnegie (Mellon).

ruffysdad
Hopelessly addicted

Postby ruffysdad » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:42 pm

Ruffy and Tulip were their shelter names and they were both such dorks that we decided not to confuse them any further :grin: Ruffysdad

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:44 pm

Bella came with her name. We played around with changing it. (My mom suggested "Daisy" to go with "Roscoe" :p ) Ultimately, it just fits her. Sometimes I call her "Jezebella." lol

Roscoe was "Blue Dog," and the only thing we knew about him was that he was a southern hound dog. So we came up with a list of "southerny (at least to our California ears) sounding names" -- Bubba, Tracker, Trooper, Cooper, Pepper, etc. When he arrived, he just *was* a Roscoe. None of the other names fit.

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Bandit got his name because when I got him he was a runner...he would get a look in his eye and head for the hills as fast as he would go, as if he was a bandit who just robbed a bank.

KaeJae, my foster already had a name.

MoonStr80
Hopelessly addicted

Postby MoonStr80 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:49 pm

lol cute guys :) I think after while the name sorta grows on them haha

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:51 pm

Tom Selleck's character Matthew Quigley from the movie Quigley Down Under. :)

biscuit
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby biscuit » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:51 pm

This is a fun thread, the replies are great lol

I tried to find an appropriate Schnauzer name and nothing worked that wasn't cliched. I tried to think of something clever or cool :whistle:

I went to bed after a week of frying my brain and said - help, little MS puppy needs a name. The next day in the shower it came to me.

Sophie it is.

(I am biscuit, although I should change that to kaiser roll rofl)

MoonStr80
Hopelessly addicted

Postby MoonStr80 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:53 pm

AW... Sophie is a cute name for her :)

ddjackso

Postby ddjackso » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:53 pm

When I found Tag I had no idea how to go about naming a dog. I tried a couple of names it was bach for one day and the next day he was max but he refused to even acknowledge me when I called him those names. I found a website of dog names on the third day and told him to let me know when he liked one. He ignored about 20 names and then when I said Tag he ran over to me and licked me in the face. Since then he has always answered to Tag.

MoonStr80
Hopelessly addicted

Postby MoonStr80 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:56 pm

that's so funny lol

He probably didn't know what you were talking to lol I dunno how it works, but to give a dog a name you just have to keep calling him/her the same name daily so the dog learns that's "his/her name"

biscuit
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby biscuit » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:58 pm

Jen, my name, as you know, is Moya. Moya loosely translated in Japanese is misty - puff of smoke, cloud, also main room. Misty is a great name for a MS and especially your sweet girl.

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:01 pm

Sammy came with his from the rescue. He'd been there a long time so I figured he should keep it. Knowing what I know now about his past, I sort of wish I'd changed it to give him a fresh name with no negative associations. (esp since knowing Skye prefers Pie pie lol)

Rosie had only been at the rescue a couple days when I went to pick her up and she didn't know her name. I could have changed it but by the time I thought of another name, she was coming to Rosie :/ and what better name for the happiest red dog on earth?

spanielcrazy
Just popping in

Postby spanielcrazy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:04 pm

Joy was born on Dec.22 so the whole litter got Christmas theme names. Her registered name is Ziel-Lors Joyous Noel. (Although now she gets called Stinky, short for Stinkerbell :crazy:)

Gizmo came with his name and it just stuck (not very original, him and 5000 other shih-tzus :hmm:) He gets called Mr. Gizzard most of the time :blah:

I saw the name Jordie somwhere and just liked it :love:

MoonStr80
Hopelessly addicted

Postby MoonStr80 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:07 pm

[quote=biscuit]Jen, my name, as you know, is Moya. Moya loosely translated in Japanese is misty - puff of smoke, cloud, also main room. Misty is a great name for a MS and especially your sweet girl. [/quote]

Yep, already knew that was your name, Moya is a pretty name :)

Is this very usual that many forigen people have two differet names? I have a friend online she has two MS. In American she goes by "Sharon" but in Malaysia she goes by "Chin Sheau Pyng"

BTW -- thanx I don't think Misty could get any sweetier then this haha

luvarescue
No, I don't have a life!

Postby luvarescue » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:25 pm

Tanker came with his name. He had it so long we decided not to change it (he was nine when we adopted him). He never had anything in his sad life except his name, so we had him keep it.

I let my daughter name Roxy (its a skateboard brand, so she tells me) and Zoey (she picked it from a list of names).

I named Penny. She was mostly paralyzed when she first came to us, but there was a brightness in her eyes. They shone like a shiny new penny, so I started calling her Penny. We also call her P-Pie, which is down south for peek-a-boo.

Cool thread. I love everyones stories!

myguys
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby myguys » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:21 pm

We named Rylee after Buffy's BF because he was so sweet and soooo handsome.

When we brought Charlie home his name was Bandit but it didn't fit, my daughter said Charlie and that was the perfect name for him.

My other daughter wanted to name Fred, Gorbachev but no one else liked it. I'm not sure how we came up with Fred but it fits him.

I wanted a cool name for Ben but my daughter said all our other dogs have people names so he would feel out of place with a different type of name so after lots of name tests and the fact he really needed a name we all agreed on Ben.

MoonStr80
Hopelessly addicted

Postby MoonStr80 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:21 pm

That's sweet Sandra.. I like stories love yours & Jen :D

Colleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Colleen » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:37 pm

Dilon, Tori and Cassie all came with their names from the breeder. No choice there.

With Athena, I was really into greek gods/goddess's at that time and named her after a greek goddess.

Beau, I had just found him and the Vets wanted to check him over. I wanted a name on the file instead of Stray dog. So, I wipped open the Dogs in Canada book and looked at some Dobe's...the only name I like was Beau. lol

Chance, my brother named.

Sandra that is beautiful, how sweet :)

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:24 pm

Cousteau was supposed to be Stan and while I think it's a fun name for a Lab, I just wasn't loving it. We were taking SCUBA lessons at the time and since Labs are water dogs, I suggested Cousteau. DH really liked it, especially since we were taking SCUBA lessons for our honeymoon and Cousteau was DH's wedding gift.

Havana was supposed to be Haggis. DH didn't want another dog and said I could only get one if he could name it. Haggis, being a traditional Scottish food of organ meat and oatmeal sewn into a sheep stomach and boiled, just didn't seem to fit my idea of a female collie. DH said if we had another daughter he wanted to name her Havana. I didn't my child to have a CIA file from birth, so I suggested that we name the dog Havana and he went for it. I still think she'd have made a good Quimby.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:33 pm

Jack was my little brown dog...so I named him Jackson Browne. That's way too much name for such a little guy, so it was quickly shortened to Jack; Jackson when I'm frustrated with him, and JACKSON BROWNE when I'm ready to lock him in the closet because he's made me insane. Kinds of like when I was a kid...the more of my name I got called, the more trouble I knew I was in. :eek:

Fortunately, Jack is one of the best behaved dogs I've ever had so he rarely gets called anything other than Jack (or baby, or bugs, or puppy, or other cutesy names that offend his sense of machismo to no end).

-- Sherri

Pchan
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Pchan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:56 pm

p-chan was lily in rescue, which seemed too dainty for her. the first time we walked her outside our apartment, i looked down, and she was trotting along like a little black pot-bellied pig. so i named her after one in a japanese anime:

sammy was part of the rat pack (sammy davis jr. with frank sinatra and angie dickinson), and it seemed to fit him. i also preferred it to squirt, which DH keeps calling him :P

catherinec
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby catherinec » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:02 pm

P-Chan - both she and her namesake are cuties! I love reading these stories.

Caesar was "Ice" before we adopted him and I just wasn't feeling it. I let my boyfriend pick the name but I had to ok it. He wanted something representing power, authority, grandiose . . . all that good guy stuff. So he picked Caesar, after the Roman dictator. Of course, now when we tell people his name they either say "Oh, like Cesar Milan?" (adults) or "Oh, like Caesar salad!" (kids). I like it, it suits him. I'm trying to think of a trick for the cue "ALL HAIL CAESAR!" if anyone can think of anything witty :-)

A lot of RRs that we meet have African names . . .

Tatyana
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Tatyana » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:13 pm

my guy was called JayJay by his breeder. That was cute but cliche, I thought.

I called him Perry. After Dr. (Perry) Cox on Scrubs, my favorite character on the show. I actually had the name in mind way before I got the dog, but I think it fit him. Or so everyone tells me ;)

Kim65
Just popping in

Postby Kim65 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:16 pm

We rescued Jackie when we lived in Germany. He'd been removed from a "very poor and anti-social" family. All of his paperwork was in Croatian, and his name was Deki. The D is pronounced as a hard J, and Jeki quickly turned into Jackie. Jackie has on his right back leg what 2 different vets indentified for us as an old bullet wound. He's old enough to have been alive during the Serbo Croatian fighting in the mid 90s, but we don't really know. There sure are days I wish he could talk.

Alaistair's name was PeeBee - for Peanut Butter. His mother's name was Jiffy.
As soon as we told the lady we got him from that we were going to call him Alaistair, she began calling him that, and by the time we went to get him, he was answering to it. I ran across Alaistair as a variant of Alastair, which means "man's defender" and thought it was a wonderful name for a dog.

ThreeMuttlies
Quite involved

Postby ThreeMuttlies » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:30 pm

When I was a little girl I got very sick right about the time the movie The Lion King came out. My dad bought it for me and we watched it atleast a hundred times the first day. It quickly became my favorite movie and still is.

When we adopted my very first dog a few years later, he was to either be Rudolph (his given birthday is Christmas) or Simba. I chose Simba.

Fast forward a few years later, I wanted another dog. The Lion King still being my favorite movie, Nala became our second dog.

Then a year or so later, Kiara, who is Simba & Nala's daughter in The Lion King 2. Although, I wanted another male dog and I wanted to name him Mufasa.

Sooo.... then came Mufasa.

Sally
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Sally » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:25 pm

Corgi: when he was a itty bitty puppy he looked like a corgi. well to me anyways and it kinda it him.

Tsuki: her full name is Tsukihimi, means moon princess. we wanted to give her a japanese name and she was acting like a princess.

Carson_Crazies
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Carson_Crazies » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:47 am

Ginger came with her name, and it suited her.

June came with her name also - the breeder was using months for names with that litter. He died shortly after she came to me, so I felt it would be sorta rude to change it - and so she's still June.

Zippy came with his name also (Rescue).

Bree my husband named - he chose a name that was traditional for a BC, and also was similar to the name of my main character on an MMORPG we play (UO). ;) I was flattered.

Nick I named. I *almost* named him Rip, but there is some superstition about not naming a dog after a trait you'd NOT like in a sheepdog, so I was afraid he'd be ripping through the sheep. I went through the pedigrees of his father and mother, and "Nick" was the name of a dog a generation or so back. I also considered "Cap" because of his kissy spot (pangea for MP), but it's a common name.
Laura & the Crazies:
Nick, Linc, Pia, June, and Ginger
RIP Zippy - January 11, 1994 to April 9, 2012

http://www.crooksandcrazies.blogspot.com

yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby yintzy » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:42 am

[quote=myguys]We named Rylee after Buffy's BF because he was so sweet and soooo handsome. [/quote]

My favorite show ever. Cool!

PaulaS
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby PaulaS » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:45 am

Lilly was named by me, and I just thought it was a pretty name for a pretty girl.

Jack's real name is Jackie Robinson (a baseball great, for those not in the know), named by my husband, since he didn't get to name Lilly.

Alex was named after a racehorse, Afleet Alex. DH and I picked that one together, on the 8 hour drive to go pick him up. He was almost named "Zapp" after another racehorse, but I really like people names. I think DH wishes we stuck with Zapp, but I think Alex suits him just fine.
Paula
Lilly, Jack, Alex and Will

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”