giving fish oil and coconut oil combined?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.

giving fish oil and coconut oil combined?

Postby luvdogs » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:27 am

I have a Weimaraner (about 75-80 lbs). I started giving my Boy fish oil... about 2 weeks now. I'm not noticing any dramatic positive changes yet. Probably too soon. Maybe his coat feels a little softer, but that might just be a placebo effect on me. I put him on it hoping for an overall health boost, not necessarily for the coat, but wouldn't mind a softer coat.

I know some people give fish and coconut oils together and I've been thinking about adding that as well for the additional benefits that coconut oil may bring. I know I should only buy the extra virgin organic kind.

But through reading other posts, the question of over feeding "fat" from those oils seem to be a concern, especially if already feeding a high quality food. So, that's my question and concern before buying any coconut oil. I certainly don't want my good intentions turn into messing up his health.

My Boy is eating Canidae dry and I started mixing it with Canidae canned (3 cups of dry w/ 1/2 canned total per day divided into two meals). He's getting 1.5 teaspoons of fish oil now, the suggested dosage. So... I don't know if adding coconut oil would be good or bad.

I really appreciate any suggestions or recommendations or sharing your experience. How do I figure out what amount (of any supplement) is appropriate when combining? Thank you so much in advance.

p.s. What brand of coconut oil do you buy?
luvdogs
Getting to know you

Re: giving fish oil and coconut oil combined?

Postby Slicks_Mom » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:49 am

I use both coconut and fish oil, but in separate meals. I don't think that coconut oil poses any kind of overdose threat, i.e. it's safe to add to your current oil regimen. I've also heard that Canidae is a "dry" food in that many dogs do need some extra oils with this food.

Start with a small dose of CO and gradually increase until you've reached your target dose. As with any oil, it can loosen the stools if the dog is not accustomed to it. The optimum dose for dogs is about 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight daily, or 1 tablespoon per 30 pounds.

As for what kind to buy.. You want unrefined or virgin coconut oil. Good-quality oil is colorless when liquid and pure white when solid, never yellow or pink, and it should not contain any residue or have an �off� or rancid odor. I've used a few different brands but still really like Tropical Traditions because they sell it in HUGE tubs!

Let us know how it goes!
Slicks_Mom
Hopelessly addicted

Postby luvdogs » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:11 am

Thanks a lot Slick's mom. I'll try the alternating method when I start him on coconut oil and do it gradually.

But wow... 1 tablespoon of CO for every 30 lbs sounds like a lot since I'm only giving 1.5 teaspoon of fish oil per day. That's what the bottle says for a 60-90 lb dog. Why do you think that is? That sounds like a lot of coconut oil for a large dog. Do you know of any other negative side effects besides soft stool? Just so I have an idea of what to look for.

Buddy's on his 3rd bag of Canidae, but his stool hasn't been that firm and his poop isn't smaller nor is he going less often (like what most people said would happen if feeding a better quality food). So, I don't know if I should consider switching to another dry to see if I'll get better results. Canidae is still better than the ProPlan I was giving him (sorry BUD).

I have so much to learn... all these different food types, ingredients, supplements, etc... can seem so complicated!!
luvdogs
Getting to know you

Postby Sabine » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:26 am

1.5 teaspoons of fish oil for a dog that large seems a little low. A good rule of thumb is 50 mg omega 3 fatty acids per pound of body weight of the dog.
Sabine
Site Admin

Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby luvdogs » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:30 am

Hi Mordanna, thank you for your input.
Hmmm... the bottle recommends a daily dosage for a 60-90lb dog of 1.5 tsp (7.5 ml). I wonder what they based it on. I got the Seapet brand fish oil w/ vitamin E. My dog is around 80 lbs. Do you know how to convert mg to ml or fl oz or tea/tablespoon? I tried searching for a conversion table, but mg is weight and ml is volume and I can't quite figure it out.
luvdogs
Getting to know you

Postby Pchan » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:17 am

either on the bottle or the company's website, they should tell you how many mg of whatever you're looking at is in each ml/teaspoon.
Pchan
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Sabine » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:19 pm

One teaspoon is roughly 5 ml. One liquid ounce is 6 teaspoons.

To calculate go by mg of omega 3 fatty acids, you add up the amounts listed for DHA, EPA and DPA (if listed) per serving. DPA is usually not listed, but except for pure menhaden and salmon oil it's not a big factor and can be neglected.

An 80-lb dog would get a maximum of 50 x 80 = 4,000 mg per day.

Say a product contains 800 mg EPA and 500 mg DHA per teaspoon, that's 1,300 mg total.

4,000 divided by 1,300 is 3.077, so you could give up to 3 teaspoons per day.
Sabine
Site Admin

Postby luvdogs » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:18 am

Thank you so much everyone, especially Mordanna for the conversion!!! This site rocks!!! I'm so glad I found you guys! My dog BuDDY thanks you too!
luvdogs
Getting to know you

Postby myguys » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:15 am

They are great aren't they. I was just going to order the Fish oil(seapet) but I can't remember if I needed the one with vitamin E or not. My dogs eat Innova, but are being rotated onto Karma they also get RMB's once a day for dental care. Do they need the added vitamin E?
myguys
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Sabine » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:40 am

Yes, vitamin E supplementation is important when giving fish oil, since the omega 3 fatty acids oxidize rapidly and increase the body's need for vitamin E.
Sabine
Site Admin

Postby candibrite » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:47 pm

Question here: I just switched to salmon oil caplets as they are MUCH easier for me to get then the liquid form. I used to just go by the bottle for my dogs on how much to give them. The caplets are 1000 mg each. How would I figure out how much to give them? I already threw away the salmon oil bottle so I don't know how much was per/pump. I also give them vita E pills. Paris (12lbs 1 1/2 yrs) gets one 400 I. U. pill a day and Marley (50lbs 6 1/2 months) gets two of them. I never heard about having to balance the amounts between Vita E and the Salmon oil. How do I do that? They also get coconut oil a few days a week. I just mix a spoonfull in thier food when I remember. Thanks!!
candibrite
Just popping in

Postby Sabine » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:49 am

You add up the amounts of omega 3 fatty acids per serving listed on the label, the upper limit is 50 mg per pound of body weight.

So if you have a product that lists 200 mg of EPA and 100 mg of DHA per capsule, that's 300 mg total and would be the upper limit for a 6 pound dog.

Vitamin E should be supplemented at around 100 IU per 25 pounds of body weight per day.
Sabine
Site Admin

Postby candibrite » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:24 pm

ok so my Salmon oil has 180 mg for EPA and 125 mg for DHA so thats 305 mg per pill right? So I would want to give Paris (12lbs) two pills a day and Marley (about 50lbs) 8 pills a day? The Vita E pills I have are 400 IU so how would I go about giving them? if I'm giving 100 IU/25lbs then Marley needs a half of one and Paris needs 1/8th of one! But they are liquid gels so how would I do that. Or are there other Vita E with different levels of IU? Im glad I read this thread so I can get the amounts right for my dogs. Sorry if my questions are bothersome
candibrite
Just popping in

Postby myguys » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:41 pm

I got my fish oil yesterday and put it on there food last night and this morning and they would not touch it, is this something they need to get use to?
myguys
Yes, I do have a life!

Return to Care, Health & Nutrition