saliva stains on a Westie

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.

saliva stains on a Westie

Postby whiteboxerboy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:07 am

my brother & SIL's male Westie's beard is saliva stained. he was switched to a homemade cooked diet 4 weeks ago. i was over there tonight and took a good look at his beard.... looks to me like his hair that is stained is going to have to grow out before his beard turns white like it 'should' be. i just don't see how that hair is going to change color again. his beard is very clean, it's just stained, it looks like he's had his beard dyed/colored. and i swear there's a VERY small line of white hair at the root now, but i'm not positive about that.

SIL keeps saying that his beard is still stained, the homemade food must not be really helping very much.... oy.
whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Re: saliva stains on a Westie

Postby Sabine » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:34 am

It will have to grow out, yes. But (not to alarm you) it may not go away entirely.

Quigley has some very light cream colored and some white areas around his lower lips and in certain places they are always stained. I think it comes from subtle irritation on the inside of the lip folds that causes more moisture to be present there, which never really dries up. It's kind of difficult to explain, so I'll try to take a photo tomorrow. I manage this by clipping the affected strands short, so they are usually hidden below his upper lips.

He will have the same staining going on in other areas when he has his seasonal allergies and licks (e.g. the inside of his elbows, between his paw pads, and on his lower belly).
Sabine
Site Admin

Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby suztzu » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:34 pm

Hello, as a groomer I see face staining all the time around eyes feet and mouths its really a bacteria that stains the fur from excessive moisture in that area. There are alot of home remedies including lemon juice in the water ewww ( never tried it) and apple cider vinegar in the water dish that people claim work on balancing the acid levels in the body, which is why the bacteria grow and hence the staining. ( supposedly) Since Westies are notorious for allergy problems that is what I see mostly that causes the staining. I see most staining on Westies,Shih tzus bichons and maltese also poodles. Probiotics might help with the staining the one product I found that really worked is Eye Envy but that is just for around the eyes but can be used on beards as well, I used this on my shih tzu for staining its totally non-toxic and it works amazingly well, he was doing a commercial and I needed him clean I switched his diet around and added pro-biotics and digestive enzymes and the staining grew out and never returned.
suztzu
Getting to know you

Postby Sabine » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:14 pm

Bacteria aren't what actually stains the coat though. Dog urine, saliva and tears contain natural porphyrins (heterocyclic macrocycles). Once exposed to oxygen, these cause the discoloration.
Sabine
Site Admin

Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby QBert » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:56 pm

EZ Groom makes an enzymatic whitening shampoo called Crystal White that does a better job than most at reducing existing stain - you mix what you need and zap it in the microwave right before you pop FluffButt in the tub. It can also help to 'seal' the hair to reduce further staining - a silicon spray like Ice on Ice (by Chris Christensen) Show Sheen (by Absorbine) or Cowboy Magic (by... um, Cowboy Magic, I think...) can help keep food and saliva from staying on the hair and staining it.
some staining may be attributed to low-level yeast infections - if the stains are accompanied by a sour/musty odor, it might help to pat some food-grade diatomaceous earth powder into the flews and beard once or twice a day or so.
QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Return to Care, Health & Nutrition