Luxating Patella--surgery, cost, alternatives?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.

Luxating Patella--surgery, cost, alternatives?

Postby MaisyPancakes » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:33 pm

Acorn and I went to volunteer at my favorite rescue today--it was lots of fun but sometimes so very sad. We still have very thin skin!

In any case, there's this 10 month old girl puppy who is just the sweetest thing; she's a spaniel/lab mix. She' got luxating patella and can't really walk without being in big pain. You can read about her here:
http://www.homewardboundrescue.com/adop ... sillysally

Does a luxating patella surgery really cost $2000?? Are there ever any alternatives? I'm just trying to get my head around it because I really don't know anything about it. I want to help Sally. :(

On a happier note, I'm giving the rescue some of my prints as auction items for their fundraiser(s). Yay!

Thanks! :)
MaisyPancakes
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Luxating Patella--surgery, cost, alternatives?

Postby sammy » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:40 pm

I thought you could get some sort of cutom splint/supportive garment thing made?
sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby cjs » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:44 pm

Yes, some surgeries can cost that much and more....

I have some friends who have dog's with this issue. One had surgery and was out of commission for a bit while healing.

I suggest looking around for costs and alternatives and opinions. One dog has not had surgery, a toy breed, and continues a normal life running and playing...the owner just needs to be ever so watchful of the dog's gait.
cjs
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Pchan » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:55 pm

it depends on the severity and age of the dog. p-chan's is mild and we picked it up soon after we adopted her 3 years ago. i started her on joint supplements and DGP and she now only starts to limp after she's been running hard at the park for a while. i have heard of some splints too, but not sure how well those work as opposed to surgery if recommended.
Pchan
No, I don't have a life!

Postby MaisyPancakes » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:05 pm

Thanks, guys! :)

I'm guessing this one is pretty severe because she can't even walk very well without being in lots of pain. :(
MaisyPancakes
No, I don't have a life!

Postby cjs » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:08 pm

If she can't walk very well, then surgery is most likely the best road to take for the long haul.
cjs
No, I don't have a life!

Postby connie » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:35 am

Yes, LP is a lot like hip dysplasia: there are many degrees of severity and not every dog will be incapacitated by the disorder. I think that Dr. Martin Goldstein theorized in his book, a few years ago, that the same causative factors (which are varied and range from diet to genetics) are behind LP and CHD, and the same treatment options can apply to both.

:( I hope the little girl gets her surgery.
connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby JudyL » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:25 am

That is sad, esp since she's so young. It would be best for her to get it done sooner than later on. Each time the patella slips, it can wear the edge of the channel slightly smoother, making it even more likely that it will slip more often. Hope that makes sense.

The rescue's writeup made it sound like both legs, or is it just one? Unless the rescue is getting a discount for both legs, I think the $2K would be for just one?

Do you know how much the rescue has raised toward this so far?
JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby MaisyPancakes » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:00 am

Thank you so much, you guys! :)

I don't know how much they've raised but I'll ask. There's a fundraiser this weekend and I'm hoping some of my paintings will bring something in. They do have a vet they work with for all their dogs (I don't know the vet because they're a bit out of the area where I live), so I'm guessing they get some break.

:( Silly Sally.
MaisyPancakes
No, I don't have a life!

Postby MaisyPancakes » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:34 pm

I just heard from the rescue and they have raised just exactly TEN DOLLARS for Silly Sally. :bawl: :sad:
MaisyPancakes
No, I don't have a life!

Postby CatStamm » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:51 pm

Is Sally off of puppy food? I sure hope so...
What "Grade" was she diagnosed with?
Is she on G and C as well as, Ester-C ...if not you might want the rescue to start her on them.... has helped a couple of our pups with LP, sure can't hurt.
CatStamm
Quite involved

Postby connie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:51 am

Oh sheesh, ten bucks? That won't do. How do we donate to her, Nana? On that link you posted? Let us know ...
connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby EllaBella » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:24 am

Poor Sally! That really really sucks. I was hoping to hear they'd have way more raised for her surgery.

Putting her on a good gluc +chond and vit C supplement might help make the proggression slightly less bad, and her eventual recovery easier. I also wonder if cetyl M might help her in the meantime too. Though really there's no alternative but the surgery for her. Poor sweet thing.
EllaBella
No, I don't have a life!

Postby MaisyPancakes » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:36 am

I know. :( Ten bucks. :(

I'll definitely forward the info about vit C and gluc/chond and cetyl M supplements. Thank you guys so much.

If anyone is interested, you can help Silly Sally by sending them a check and filling out this printable form: http://www.homewardboundrescue.com/donationPrint.html

I didn't realize they didn't have an online donate button set up. I'll probably help them do that.

You guys are awesome. Thank you!
MaisyPancakes
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:49 am

That would be an added benefit if you could help them set up even just a general donate button. So many people like the convenience of using their credit card these days. It looks like this rescue is just starting a program where donors can sponsor specific dogs. Do you think this group would allocate funds specifically toward Silly Sally's surgery if we indicated that on their general donation form?

Thanks for all this info.
JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby MaisyPancakes » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:21 am

Judy, yes--you can put in a note or put in the subject line of your check "FOR SILLY SALLY" and they'll definitely allocate the funds and put you down as a sponsor of that dog.

Thank you so much! :D
MaisyPancakes
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Sabine » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:30 pm

[quote=CatStamm]Is Sally off of puppy food? I sure hope so...[/quote]

There's a lot of misconception out there about puppy food, and it's not all necessarily "bad" for a particular situation.

Just to mention, if you see a food that is labeled as suitable "for all life stages" that means the food supports growth ("puppy" formula) as well as maintenance, gestation, and lactation.

On the flip side, a food labeled as suitable "for maintenance" is not appropriate to be fed to a still-growing dog, since it does not supply enough nutrients to support growth.
Sabine
Site Admin

Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby jlphilli » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:46 pm

$2000 is a lot for a LP surgery!! Here it is around $400-600 for any degree of luxation.
jlphilli

Postby MaisyPancakes » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:02 pm

jlphilli--really?! Wow. It's almost worth driving Silly Sally there!

If anyone is on Facebook, they managed to put up a page under "Causes" from which you can donate online: http://apps.facebook.com/causes/169871?m=7bf7bab2

Thanks! :)
MaisyPancakes
No, I don't have a life!

Postby CatStamm » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:37 am

Interesting....
I was refering to "puppy" food in particular, as opposed to "all life stage food"...
The information we recieved about "puppy" food was given to us by an orthopediac surgeon, and concerned a puppy with luxating patellas. That is why I mentioned it.
My friend also has a Dane with "wobblers Syndrome" and was told the same thing...
Many Dachshund breeders, suggest feeding puppy food to 6 mths max! I never asked them the reasoning behind the "WHY"?
I know MOST people that feed Dachshunds puppy food for a year...end up with FAT dogs lol...
Actually about 65% or more % of dachshunds are FAT.... it's so sad.
CatStamm
Quite involved

Postby Sabine » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:22 pm

That's just a matter of feeding too much though, not because the food is necessarily unsuitable. That's why properly portioning food is so very important. Puppy formulas are generally higher in fat, and more nutrient dense, than adult maintenance formulas, and fat delivers 2 1/4 times the amount of calories per weight unit compared to proteins or carbohydrates.

Dogs are carnivorous animals, with a and do best on a diet that emphasizes meat and fat, not carbohydrates. While they can digest and utilize carbs, they do not have a nutritional requirement for them, unlike for protein and fats. Any reduction in the amount of protein and fat in a food only boosts its carbohydrate content, and that's just not a species appropriate way to feed.

On top of that, many owners feel bad about the small portions that are required of nutrient-dense dry foods, especially for small breeds, and feed them more than necessary, plus pile on the treats without reducing the feeding amounts. The difference between 1/4 cup twice daily and 1/3 cup twice daily may not look all that significant to someone who doesn't pay much attention to begin with, but in a food that delivers 450 kcal per cup for example that's a difference between the dog getting 225 kcal or 300 kcal per day.

75 extra calories per day means 27,375 extra calories per year. One pound of body fat contains approximately 3,500 kcal, so you are looking at a gain of over 7.8 pounds in a year.

If you look at the "new generation" dry foods that are high in protein and low in carbs, those pretty much all automatically qualify as "all life stages" because they meet the requirements for all the AAFCO nutrient profiles. People who do not portion these foods properly will have the same experience of the dog becoming overweight, but that's not the food's fault.

You really do have to evaluate each particular food in regards to its specific suitability, not just by looking at the nutritional adequacy statement. Mineral content can be an important factor in certain situations for example, but percentages listed are always relative, not absolute, so it makes more sense to calculate intake based on the nutrient density of the food (e.g. calcium and phosphorus amounts per 1,000 kcal) and how much the dog actually gets on a daily basis when eating a certain amount of food to maintain weight.

So, long story short, there is nothing wrong with feeding puppy food, but as the growing dog's energy and nutrient requirements decline, you have to reduce the feeding amount, or you'll end up with a fat dog.
Sabine
Site Admin

Postby CatStamm » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:51 pm

Oh I hear ya
I just wish more people with small dogs would hear, listen and understand.... for their dogs sake.
Most of the dogs that come into rescue are over-weight and we get them slimmed down with exercise, good quality grain free kibble and food reduction...in NO time.... but it can be a real struggle convincing people that the way we feed is NOT starving the dogs :lol:
We deal with people all the time that don't realize treats are FOOD = calories...and it can throw the diet plan out the window.
My tiny girl Camelot ...gets 1/5 of a cup of wellness core in the morning and 2 oz of NV raw at night....although it looks like nothing...if I fed her more, she would gain weight. ;)

We hear it from people everyday.... "I don't know why my dog is fat, I only feed them a cup a day!" A CUP!!! to a 10 lb doxie...

I'm personally pretty comfortable with the feeding plan of my personal doxies, grain free wellness one meal, and raw the 2nd meal.... (very healthy and slim, fit) although I may be on over-kill with the supplements *sigh*

Heck if I could figure out what supplements my dogs really NEED....and cut back the others... I'd probably save enough $$$$$ to feed strictly RAW.. Wahoooo

If you don't mind,I would love to quote your statement,when explaining to adoptive families or pet owners... how easily the calories add up and cause obesity.
CatStamm
Quite involved

Postby Sabine » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:09 pm

Please do go ahead. :) I PMed you as well. :)
Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Petey_Winks » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:11 pm

[quote=jlphilli]$2000 is a lot for a LP surgery!! Here it is around $400-600 for any degree of luxation. [/quote]

$400-600?!?!? That is amazing. I'm being quoted $1400-2300 in Cary. You have to tell me where I can get it done this cheap!
Petey_Winks
Settling in

Postby CatStamm » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:40 pm

A friend of mine had patella surgery on her doxie and the cost for both legs was 6 GRAND!
Sorry that was 5 Grand...not 6
CatStamm
Quite involved

Postby EllaBella » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:17 am

[quote=Petey_Winks][quote=jlphilli]$2000 is a lot for a LP surgery!! Here it is around $400-600 for any degree of luxation. [/quote]

$400-600?!?!? That is amazing. I'm being quoted $1400-2300 in Cary. You have to tell me where I can get it done this cheap! [/quote]

I'm in Cary too, and just wanted to recomenf VSRP (veterinary surgical referal practice) if your dog needs any orthopedic surgery. They are AMAZING, though not necessarily the cheapest option. I know of several people (plus myself) who have taken dogs there for various things, and every dog has had the best possible outcome. Dr. Jones at Animal Rehabilitation and Wellness Institute is also wonderful, if you need to do any physical therapy/rehab work with your dog.
EllaBella
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Petey_Winks » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:07 pm

[quote=EllaBella]

I'm in Cary too, and just wanted to recomenf VSRP (veterinary surgical referal practice) if your dog needs any orthopedic surgery. They are AMAZING, though not necessarily the cheapest option. I know of several people (plus myself) who have taken dogs there for various things, and every dog has had the best possible outcome.

[/quote]

Thanks for the tip! I emailed several Vets last night for quotes, and VSRP has the best price @ $1300. They were also one of the first to respond, and gave me a bunch of great info in the email. I was a little nervous about going with the cheapest quote, since all I REALLY want is for my little buddy to be better, and I don't want to sacrifice quality just to get it done on the cheap. You have really put me at ease! Thanks EllaBella!
Petey_Winks
Settling in

Postby CatStamm » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:07 pm

sorry old post :(
CatStamm
Quite involved

Return to Care, Health & Nutrition