Can eating catnip make a dog sick?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.

Can eating catnip make a dog sick?

Postby Pchan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:11 pm

I can't find a great answer to this using Google. I'm wondering because for the past 2 nights Sammy has thrown up his dinner. Good energy and stools have been fine, no distended abdomen. Then tonight after coming in from their walk/romp in the building's side yard, I heard him making puking sounds and they hadn't been fed dinner yet. Found him in his house with one of the catnip toys, torn apart with catnip all over. I fed him some yogurt with slippery elm and honey tonight for now, he seems OK otherwise...
Pchan
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Can eating catnip make a dog sick?

Postby Jen » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:59 pm

Bella has eaten Scout's toys with no obvious consequences, but Sammy is a tad bit smaller.

I found this:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/catnip-and ... page1.aspx
Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby PofiMia » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:20 pm

Both Pofi and Mia have eaten a fair amount of nip in their time, but they are also substantially larger than Sammy. Seems like it would almost be like eating a lot of grass which sometimes leads to purging.

Hope he feels better soon...
PofiMia
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Pchan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:47 pm

thanks! he's sitting on the couch looking at me with huge eyes begging to be fed more right now lol i will resist though!
Pchan
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Colleen » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:01 am

Catnip is used as a gas reliever and settle upset stomachs & helps alleviate vomiting in both dogs and cats. I wonder if Sammy over did it or if he instinctly sought it out to help settle his belly.

In one of my herb books catnip is known to be safe, but fatalities have been reported from ingestion of the seed.
Colleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:45 am

It could be that the catnip wasn't a pure qualit or that he ingested some of the toy? Catnip is great thing to use for stomach issues, but not sure how good the qualit would be in a toy and I know with my cat toys, often they have other stuff besides catnip inside them.
RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Colleen » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:53 am

Good point Robin :)
Colleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby catherinec » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:05 am

Hope he's feeling better!
catherinec
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Pchan » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:12 am

hmmm definitely makes sense. i did see him eating a little grass in the side yard for a bit, but i've gotten so used to p-chan eating grass (and she has an iron stomach), i didn't think much of it. i'm pretty sure the catnip was poor-quality - it was a toy on clearance at target i think, and the cats weren't interested at all. they usually go nuts for catnip!
Pchan
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Claire » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:29 am

I grow catnip to use the flower buds in the cat treats I bake. It definitely is a member of the mint family, easy to tell by crushing a fresh leaf. I always tell customers if their cats won't eat the treats, dogs will! Although I suppose in large quantities, catnip like anything else, won't sit well in a tummy.
The catnip in your toy was probably old leaves. The best catnip comes from the flower buds. That isn't likely to be used in mass-produced toys.

How's Sammy now?
Claire
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Pchan » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:42 am

he seems better, but definitely after running around, he's had some episodes where he'll puke up a small amount. nothing significant enough to make me rush him to the vet, since he's still got a good appetite and is otherwise behaving normally. we'll see how he does the next few days.
Pchan
No, I don't have a life!

Postby MaisyPancakes » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:49 am

I'm no help, but it sounds like he's doing better! That catnip was schwag!!! :grin:
MaisyPancakes
No, I don't have a life!

Return to Care, Health & Nutrition